Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/16 6:09 p.m.

Earlier today, driving around town, I noticed that the used late-model luxury lot has a fairly fresh looking 1999 R129 600SL in some off-putting gold. Aside from the iffy color, the car looks nice. 133,000 miles. $6900.

Any opinion or experience with these from the hive?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/16 10:41 p.m.

We had a thread on them the other day. I love the way the 129 looks and the M120 V12 isn't really trouble prone.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/16 10:52 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

Do you have a link? I tried searching, and didn't find anything.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/16 11:00 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/more-exotic-engine-madness-owner-ship-discussion-r129-mercedes-with-m120-v12/109904/page1/

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/16 11:08 p.m.

Ugh.

I don't know why I put W129. R129 is what I meant.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
2/21/16 6:40 a.m.

Pano roof?

Anyway, do it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/16 7:22 a.m.

The engine is fine. It's everything else that is a PITA or expensive.

Also the kind of person who wants a sunny-day Mercedes is more likely to buy a NEW one. The kind of person who wants a used Mercedes wants a sedan. So these have the resale value of used chewing gum.

Make sure the top works correctly and doesn't leak oil.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
2/21/16 7:26 a.m.

As he said/ and get a hard top so you never need to use the power top.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/16 3:47 p.m.

I stopped by to have another look, and took some photos. It's growing on me, even though it makes no sense.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
2/21/16 4:03 p.m.

That looks nice for that price at a dealership!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/16 4:07 p.m.

Try driving one. Other people my height claim to have no problem, but I cannot sit behind the wheel of one without that knee bolster pushing hard into my shins. Which is no only uncomfortable but makes it hard to apply the pedals.

My Golf was infected with one of those bolsters too. Fortunately it was easily removed.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
2/21/16 4:35 p.m.

Lot of pimpin for $6900. Set of late model wheels and you're in business.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/22/16 9:05 a.m.

That looks like a better deal than anything i saw locally when i looked a few weeks ago.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/16 6:15 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Try driving one. Other people my height claim to have no problem, but I cannot sit behind the wheel of one without that knee bolster pushing hard into my shins. Which is no only uncomfortable but makes it hard to apply the pedals. My Golf was infected with one of those bolsters too. Fortunately it was easily removed.

It's raining here right now, but hopefully, I'll get to try it out tomorrow. I had this knee bolster problem with an R170, and I know I'd be popping that off pretty much instantly. On an R129, it's less clear that it would come off so easily, based on the design.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/16 10:36 a.m.

I called the Euro mechanic in town to price a PPI, and he responded by telling me which car I was considering. He knows it somewhat well, and gave me a good ten minutes of advice. I'll probably still go for a PPI, but I feel a lot better about this car.

Sorry to post so much, I don't really know anyone IRL who would give a E36 M3 about an old Mercedes.

Odd thing: it seems these autocross in HS. If there is something else in HS with more displacement, I'd like to see it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/23/16 11:29 a.m.

Is it just me, or has that car been punched in the nose? Hood fit looks funny.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/23/16 11:47 a.m.
Mike wrote: I called the Euro mechanic in town to price a PPI, and he responded by telling me which car I was considering. He knows it somewhat well, and gave me a good ten minutes of advice. I'll probably still go for a PPI, but I feel a lot better about this car. Sorry to post so much, I don't really know anyone IRL who would give a E36 M3 about an old Mercedes. Odd thing: it seems these autocross in HS. If there is something else in HS with more displacement, I'd like to see it.

You got me interested so I had to look. Apparently my CLS63, with its 507hp 6.2 V8 is also in HS. The only other thing I saw that could beat these for displacement in the class was the catch all for RWD pick ups, so a 454 or 460 powered truck would make it.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/16 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Sonic:

I don't think that's right. I think (I don't have the classing PDF available right now) that AMG (NOC) is in SS. So, if you're not excluded from Street (like AMG Black Series) or classed elsewhere, you should be in SS.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/23/16 1:52 p.m.

Ahh, I missed that line, and didn't see it in F stock with the E55, M5 and others like that.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/16 3:54 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Is it just me, or has that car been punched in the nose? Hood fit looks funny.

The dealer photos look like the hood is high against the headlights. It looks better aligned in my photos, though I see what you're talking about. In person, it looks fine. I've checked, and the Carfax shows an accident in Oklahoma in 2005. The owner at the time kept the car for a while after the accident, and I don't know anything about severity.

slefain
slefain UberDork
2/23/16 3:58 p.m.

At least the peeled the "I'd (heart) to be your Realtor" sticker off the back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rDAv7xhif1cidfnpgoQ2DlT1BExFlocRWBsxlGuzxaMY8O1jwiCkbeOh2ussRnw