1 2
thebigchill
thebigchill New Reader
5/2/19 1:52 p.m.

This is a rather empty post, here only to consume bandwidth and time, but also to gather opinions from the GRM Brain Trust enablers.

I'm looking for a small, quirky classic to bomb around in and do some cruise-ins. Both the MGB GT and 122 tickle me, but in different ways. I'm fairly certain that the 122 will be more reliable, but lacks the shooting-brake look that I love. Let's assume both cars are equally rust-free (minimal at least). Budget is around $7k for this toy, and a I have a good line on both cars -soon to disappear I'm sure.

What would you choose, and why?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/2/19 1:57 p.m.
79rex
79rex New Reader
5/2/19 2:05 p.m.

122 all day long for me.  although I have a huge soft spot for volvos.  Something worth thinking about is that the value of 122s seem to be rising, were as the British stuff seems to be becoming less deasireable.   

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/19 2:08 p.m.

You want me to search google for images of mgb gt's? aye aye, capt!

and my personal favorite:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/2/19 2:21 p.m.

A 122 is very close to being a real car, with room inside for humans and stuff.  Build a B20 for it, and it's a 60's European rocket.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/2/19 2:30 p.m.

Depends a bit on your willingness to leave things alone.  Stock to stock, I'd pick the 122 with a warmed B20.  However, if an engine swap tickles your fancy, the MGB engine bay is roomier.  You are more likely to find a BGT in good condition than a 122 in your price range these days.  

If you need a functional back seat, 122 every day and twice on Sunday.  The BGT back seat is barely suitable for small children, providing the driver isn't too tall.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/2/19 2:36 p.m.

Man, that's a tough one. Especially if they're equally priced and,  in this case, shockingly reasonable. For a resto-mod, classic-type car that I don't mind regularly driving and beating on, the B-GT wins. While more unusual than their convertible siblings, they're still not rare. The 122, however, is  a little more special to me. I think I'd be afraid to really pound on it or drive it regularly. While a B-GT makes me turn my head, I want to stalk the person in the 122. So, in essence, it really depends on your plans. Also, because neither are going to be stellar performers by todays standards, reliable, safe, or practical family cars, this is an emotional decision. I'd simply get the one I liked more. 

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
5/2/19 2:40 p.m.

I've got some time in a warmed b20 122 coupe. It's the most dailyable classic car I've ever driven. Comfy, quiet, handles well, does interstate speed. I've got even more time in it's older brother, the 544, which is also a surprisingly nice driver.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/2/19 3:03 p.m.

1967 MGB GT.

Rust free.

OD gearbox

4 link coil over rear suspension

Alloy center lock wheels

Azenis

Fresh front suspension and kingpins

New carpets

Custom leather seats

Ready to go

$6500 USD fob London Ontario

Pete

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/2/19 3:15 p.m.

MGB-GT  would be my choice.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/2/19 3:38 p.m.

I love MGB GTs but I'd go with the 122. A very streetable B20 can turn out very respectable horsepower, in the 160-175 range, as well as having good mid range. Swaybars, decent dampers, some nice wheels and tires and you have a Swedish hot rod that would surprise people. It would also ride nice and still be user friendly.

In the end there's no bad choice here............did I mention I'd go with the Volvo?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/2/19 4:01 p.m.

Unless things have changed dramatically since the last time I looked, the parts situation is far, far superior for MGB's over 122's.   

While there are still plenty of engine and mechanical parts for the Volvo, trim, upholstery, etc. are not easy to find.   This is from someone who used to own an 1800E and a 544.   

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
5/2/19 4:29 p.m.

I'd go Ford Capri first (no, you didn't ask, I'm a jerk like that sometimes), then 122 due to real suspension over the beauty of the MGB GT.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/19 5:03 p.m.

Try them on for size?

I'm new to MGB GT ownership, and I also have a BMW 2002 (lamentably sitting and in need of much right now), which is probably more like a 122 than like an MG.

The 2002 is a much better car in many, many ways.

"Better" is not the same as "scratches a specific itch."

Only you can make this call, but I think you should try them both on. I'm going to have changed out the steering wheel and seats just to get to the point where I can steer comfortably and heel/toe at all (leg jammed into wheel currently). I'm 6'/190.

thebigchill
thebigchill New Reader
5/3/19 7:48 a.m.

There are some good points here.

The 122 is certainly appreciating at a faster rate, and a decent example will lose no value if kept in good shape. I think the same is true for the MGB, but it's not appreciating at the same rate (at all?) Value will remain stable though, I'd imagine.

Space isn't really a concern. This isn't a 'put people in the back' kind of of toy. It's for me and my girlfriend to cruise in, maybe take some camping trips. Storage is adequate in both for my needs.

Parts availability is far better for the MGB, but the 122 has some decent support these days, too. Agreed on rarity of parts outside mechanicals.

Swapping engines isn't in the plans unless needed, for either car. I'd simply run it with the B18 and enjoy things as-is. I reserve the right to completely pancake on this statement... Suspension, wheels, tires, etc. are absolutely items of interest.

Fit-wise, I'm 5'11" and 160, so nothing special to see here. Fit is fine for both, 122 of course requires less neck tweaking at lights. 

They're both aesthetically pleasing in different ways. The 122 is just the prettier car, hands down. It has a Pininfarina quality to it. The MGB is a lump in comparison, but a lump with shooting-brake proportions and I love that. Agreed on the 122 being the rarer, more interesting car.

The two specific cars that I'm looking at are both imperfect. Both have been repainted, with the 122 showing some bubbling and shoddy body work in areas. That scares me, and I realize that I'd have to mitigate that in order to retain it's value (or would I at $6500?...). 

I suspect that the Volvo will be the more reliable pile, and while this doesn't matter all that much, I certainly want to minimize the amount of times I'm left stranded on the road. An MGB purchase might warrant a new main harness just for peace-of-mind. Can past owners here comment on this aspect?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/19 8:11 a.m.

It would be easy to fake, but I wish they sold the MGB GT LE over here.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/3/19 8:36 a.m.
thebigchill said:

They're both aesthetically pleasing in different ways. The 122 is just the prettier car, hands down. It has a Pininfarina quality to it. The MGB is a lump in comparison, but a lump with shooting-brake proportions and I love that. Agreed on the 122 being the rarer, more interesting car.

The funny part of this is that the GT part of the MGB was in fact styled by pininfarina. The Volvo was designed in house in Sweden.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/3/19 8:39 a.m.

Actually, I think the MGB GT is rarer.  Volvo made like half a million 122's they just didn't sell many over here.

Despite having the 122 in my avatar, this is a harder decision than you'd expect.  Both are neat, interesting cars.  I've never had a problem with parts availability for the 122- there's places to buy just about everything.  A brand new steel repop front fender is about 6 bills, though.  The interiors wear like iron, but they do still wear.

A 2002 is a better handling car (IRS vs stick axle) but far less robust.  A 122 can have more rust than metal and still be stronger than a rust free 2002.  cheeky  

122's look like tiny 50's American cars to me, but with actual brakes and decent suspension.  And that sweedish tractor engine makes absolutely crazy noises revving to its 6500 RPM limit.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/19 8:45 a.m.

At this point, whatever differences in reliability that existed when these cars were new from the factory have long been overshadowed by the way the cars have been maintained. So there really is no such thing as "the 122 will be more reliable than the MGB" until you are looking at two specific cars. Here's a trick - pretend you're looking at two 122s or two MGBs. Which one do you think will be more reliable and why?

As far as MGB wiring harness, the last time I looked a new harness was around $400. So not crazy but will be a lot of work to replace it all. According to a lot of reading on mgexp, cleaning the grounds and every bullet connector you can find will give you 98% of the results of a new harness. My MGB experience says the majority of electrical problems you find will be because of prior "modifications" made by people who didn't quite understand the system. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/3/19 8:50 a.m.

The 122 always reminds me of a 3/4 scale Checker cab.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/3/19 8:59 a.m.

Wiring reliability will definitely be a "previous owner and maintenance" trait, although the two cars probably have more in common than many might think. The main difference is Volvo was more likely to use relays to switch higher current loads than the Brits often did.  But 50+ years on, any car can be subject to PO fiddling and overall age degradation.  

Brand new wiring harnesses are available for the 122 from CVI Automotive for a bit over $500. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/3/19 12:04 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

It looks like an undersized American car because it is! The basic structure (thankfully not the front suspension) dates to the Willys Aero, which Volvo obtained via Willys do Brazil in the late 1950s. The window glass all interchanges.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/3/19 12:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Purely because this song, mgb-gt

When the heck did that come out?  I haven't heard any Richard Thompson in eons.  In fact, since I last played my vinyl copy of "Shoot Out the Lights."

And while I am certainly a fan of older Volvos, I'd pick the B-GT.  No contest.  I've always had a fondness for those cars.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
5/3/19 4:25 p.m.

It really depends on what you want... what is available for what you can afford...  

I've wrenched on both...  I prefer the Volvo to repair.

As to a shooting brake - 1800ES....   

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
5/3/19 10:11 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've got some time in a warmed b20 122 coupe. It's the most dailyable classic car I've ever driven. Comfy, quiet, handles well, does interstate speed. I've got even more time in it's older brother, the 544, which is also a surprisingly nice driver.

I've been thinking about replacing my old american iron with something smaller and more european, seeing this comment is right up my alley.  The 2002, Amazon, Saabs, Opels, etc are all on my mind.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQvIrV3mRV6DP1bB81uxfqg80eZojfXoLz6vqSUkCXQFElJ85lv34BCFwdVxvWnm