• FM Butterfly brace
  • FM Stage 2.5 suspension
  • Energy urethane bushings everywhere
  • SS brake lines
  • Rotors and pads
  • Timing belt & crank pulley bolt service
  • Plugs and wires
  • Fluids and filters

An upside is that the car has a viscous LSD I wasn't aware of when I bough it. The downside is that someone in the past cut up the stock exhaust to crudely weld in a new catalytic converter. It's hanging pretty funny and looks like it'll be a clearance issue w/ the butterfly brace.

What's the deal on Miata aftermarket exhausts. Like the rest of the stuff is the answer "call Flyin Miata and get the whole deal"?

Anything else I should know?

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
5/8/10 4:50 p.m.

The three I find most interesting, in no particular order:

1. FM NA Exhaust (made by Thermal R&D--very nice)
  2. Racing Beat Power Pulse (can be used with either standard or sport (louder) mid pipe)
  3. RoadsterSport3 (Goodwin Racing--has removable/replaceable baffle for rear to adjust sound level)

There's also the Borla, which supposedly is the lightest/biggest power gain, but I find the sound to be a tad obnoxious. YMMV, of course.

I don't need a new exhaust, but I've been thinking about getting one for my car just for a slightly more aggressive exhaust note. One of the things I miss most about my SVT Focus is its exhaust note. I'd also be curious to hear anyone's thoughts on any of the above.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/10 4:50 p.m.

Sign up with Mazdaspeed and buy the Bosal Spec Miata exhaust. It's stainless and I think it's less than $200.

Photobucket

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
5/8/10 4:54 p.m.

i like my "mystery" magnaflow exhaust I got on ebay for a screaming deal, nice sound, all stainless.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
5/8/10 8:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: Sign up with Mazdaspeed and buy the Bosal Spec Miata exhaust. It's stainless and I think it's less than $200. Photobucket

Not to mention sounds amazing. If the car still has a cat, it's actually quite understated. Even without, it's ages quieter than a Springfield.

If I had a Miata, it'd be running one of these.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
5/8/10 8:51 p.m.

I'll also recommend the Mazdaspeed Bosal. I went with it as the cheapest option. Quiet enough, and gives the note a nice serious note. Apparent power boost over the exhaust that was in my car previously.

Only quasi-issue is that I find a short rev-range where it produces a bit of a buzz to the note (probably due to no resonator). I don't find it a big deal though, especially for the value.

There are probably ones that produce a few more HP, but I don't think there's a better value.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/8/10 11:01 p.m.

Anyone know what it weighs? My current system is kinda loud and heavy, I was thinking about adding a longer resonator, but that would cost money and make it even heavier. By the time I buy the resonator and pay a muffler guy to install it, It might be cheaper for me to just buy this system and sell my old one.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
5/9/10 3:12 a.m.

I don't know how much it weights, but I do remember being surprised with how light it was. I had no problem installing them by myself over my head, where the OEM system was sometimes difficult to work with.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/10 5:12 a.m.

It's a lot lighter than the stock one that's next to it in that photo. It's also very nicely made.

car39
car39 Reader
5/9/10 12:19 p.m.

I like the racing beat set up on my 95. I had a Borla on another 95 and it just got louder and louder to the point of aggravation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0k1CqzGWmARQLjERCMrjUQ8CLDY1pLTVdGugHguVD9cncm26hGETd6WIDWc0ENob