Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/15/24 4:29 p.m.

I'm rebuilding my 99 with everything (drivetrain, plumbing, wiring, emissions, etc) from a rusty and wrecked 2000. Going from full blown track only to dual purpose again. 
Anyway, my 99 has a second bolted down piece of hardware (visible in first pic) and three hoses on the filler neck.  The 2000 (second pic) has no bolted down thing, a hose from the tank to what I presume is the charcoal canister, and two filler neck hoses. 

The 99 tank is WAY nicer, but im not sure what im looking at here, so I'm not sur how to proceed. I just want it to work properly with no odd pressure issues or evap codes. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/24 5:09 p.m.

Keith Tanner to the courtesy phone, please. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/24 6:38 p.m.

Looks like a pressure sensor, and it looks like Mazda put it in the tank in '99 and teed into a hose in '00.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/15/24 6:59 p.m.

How'd you get there? That way I can make the 99 stuff work like the 2000 stuff even though it's shaped different 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/15/24 10:23 p.m.

I would use the emission equipment that matches the VIN of the car.  Partly for ease of repair down the road, partly for inspection situations, even if that's not a thing (now) where you live.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/16/24 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Problem with that is that I have exactly none of it whatsoever. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/24 12:30 p.m.

What ECU are you using? That's what's going to be looking for emissions components, so if you want to avoid things like evap codes you need to have the parts in place. If you're using a Megasquirt or equivalent you have already removed the biggest emissions component so none of the others really matter as much :)

The "bolted down thing" (the round golden flange) is the rollover valve. The 2000 has one as well but it's internal to the tank. The 2000 also has a fuel cutoff valve inside the tank. So it's the same basic plumbing, just rearranged. Use the nice tank along with the filler neck from the same car. All the rest of the external plumbing is the same.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/16/24 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm using the 2000 ecu with an fic6 piggyback. 

How do I plumb using the 99 filler neck and tank? Treat the external rollover valve like it's the port on the tank itself in the 2000 and roll woth it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/24 1:34 p.m.

Copy the plumbing from the 1999. Basically, unplug from the charcoal canister and transfer everything over. There are more ports on the filler neck.

2000 (note: numbers are not pointing at the same things in all cases)

Dusterbd13-michael
9/16/24 2:22 p.m.

I have now saved this so I can find it in a few weeks when I start the plumbing. Hopefully it makes as much sense then when I am physically manipulating the parts as it does reading it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hnnWHhx8WKjrDbIDIqVs5tbPy1s8Gy1RGQGzpGPQl6bWQXQIRTgxzTx5ggfcDcAK