irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/22/15 6:32 p.m.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/4940032722.html

interesting.....seems like it would be pretty cumbersome to steal and store that many of them. First I've heard of this kind of thing being stolen. This isn't exactly a high-theft area, and it doesn't seem like the "downtown" crew would be giving up on $$$$ wheels to try to move Miata hardtops, lol.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/22/15 6:40 p.m.

Thankfully not a problem around here.
My use of spec miata plates was purely to quiet down the squeaking, security was bonus points.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
3/22/15 6:47 p.m.

One of the guys in CDC (DC area) bought a hardtop only to have it stolen soon after. The cops were uninterested in pursuing the matter. So he did some research and found another guy that bought an identical hardtop from someone very similar. It turns out that the guy he bought it from was stealing it back to resale. Apparently he did this several times. He tracked the guy down and the cops finally busted him. I guess the perp thought it was an easy $800-1000 each time, and he could get away with it because local cops considered it small change.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/22/15 7:03 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6:

Reminds me of how hard the po-po worked to find the civic I had stolen from me a year ago.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/15 7:43 p.m.

I have some Miata hard tops for sale....keep it on the Down Low

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/22/15 8:54 p.m.

They're stolen pretty often.

A cut defrost pigtail is a good indication.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/15 8:59 p.m.

I do my part by keeping mine in the shed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/15 9:20 p.m.

They're not that hard to steal if you don't mind breaking a window. And they'll fit in the back of a pickup truck. Luckily, not a problem around here, but I'd consider a set of bolt-in plates if I lived in a high crime area.

johndej
johndej Reader
3/23/15 7:20 a.m.

Saw this on my general c-list browsing but hadn't heard much of it on any forums or anything before hand. Not too much being said of it in the Richmond area but might step up for some bolt on plates just in case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wMEzsWkf22TBs5vB59CaUcBJreTYrLXXAJIGpDIayQzvDYASkf3hWj608S9lUFSC