Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/1/18 8:06 p.m.

So, i bought a torsen tonight for the challenge car. Got ut from buzzboy here. 94 miata 4.11 gears. It has axle flanges installed for bolt together axles. I also bought the whole rear subframe, control arms, and axles.

The challenge car is an nb. I have fabricated everything around nb parts.

My questions:

1. Can the axle flanges come out, and i install the nb axles in it? 

2. If not, what are the differences in rear subframes and suspension? Other than struts. I also noticed no mounts for that ladder brace that the nb got.

Hopefully i havent just screwed up......

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/18 10:21 p.m.

You know you brought a smile to my face. You just stuffed a sideways 3400 GM into a Miata, went stem to stern on a total redo.  I truly believe you can make Miata parts work on a Miata. 

Other than that, I have no clue as to what works and what doesn't on a Mazda.  You wil overcome this obstacle too.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 10:24 p.m.

If you don't have the outer half of the 94 axles, just pop the stubs out and stuff in the NB ones.

The subframes are almost identical with the exception of mounting points for the brace and one exhaust hanger. The uprights have 5mm more track (per side) on the NB. The axles can deal with this variation. The NB control arms are a bit beefier and use a single shear sway bar mount instead of double shear, but are dimensionally identical.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/1/18 10:57 p.m.

Mmmm, Miata rear end..

Wait, what was the question?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/1/18 11:35 p.m.

Sweet! So the nb 1 piece axles bolt in with no issues. Id much prefer to keep them versus the 2 piece. 

I am understanding you correcty, right?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 11:38 p.m.

Yup. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/1/18 11:44 p.m.

Thanks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/2/18 12:25 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I appreciate the vote of confidence! 

Im just a redneck with a rabbit's foot and a welder. Some projects work. Some are flaming piles of garbage and money.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 7:18 a.m.

The 1 piece axles suck IMO because you have to disassemble the suspension to get the differential out of the car.

Bolt together inner CVs usually mean you can also get the axle out without disassembling anything, just drop the inner and push the axle out.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/2/18 9:06 a.m.

In this case, ive only got about a half inch around the 1 piece axle. The flanges would mean that id have to redo the exhaust, and flat floor.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/2/18 10:18 a.m.

Pulling the uprights is pretty easy, and if you're using the axles already in the car, you can leave them bolted to the hubs.  Just make sure to torque the suspension bolts with the suspension loaded when re-assembling.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UehHUt79J5j3350lJeJUdCB0GTT3wfzAfPfDEWgzk8j567VVliG2wwchkMPMMsch