confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/11/08 7:15 p.m.

OK, now that my camber is out of whack, I figure that it's time to try a different alignment setting (maybe). I got my last specs out of the magazine's "Trash to Treasure" article (I think) but I can't remember what they were. Anyway, they weren't aggressive enough to chew up the tires but they definitely allowed for some good cornering abilities.

All of what I say pertains to the front only. If anybody has any recommendations for what to do with the rear, I'm open. I have some KYB AGX shocks and everything else is stock.

I do know that I chose a 0.0 toe-in setting because I wanted a bit of the straight-line stability, but I still wanted the fast turn-in that you don't typically get with pigeon toes. Does anyone recommend or have any experience with a tiny bit of toe-out either in a Miata or something similar? Should I stay with 0 toe?

I have a few thousand miles on my Azenis including a HPDE and a few auto-xes. They are still in tip-top shape all-around. Should I try for more than 1.5 degrees of negative camber? (I'm pretty sure that's my previous setting). I'm worried that more will be detrimental and kill tires crazy-fast, but tires are cheap for that car anyway.

Ideas?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/08 8:43 p.m.

I think GRM might have called us for those alignment numbers. Here's what we use on cars at FM: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/alignment.php

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/11/08 8:46 p.m.

If you're suspension is stock aside from the AGX's I think 1.5° front camber is the best you can do. I tell them to max out the front camber without sacrificing caster. A little toe out up front will definately help turn it, but how much depends on how many street miles you drive. If it's your second car and you drive to and from events, to work on friday etc. 1/16" per side is pretty good. More toe will obviously wear tires faster, but 1/16" per side is a good comprimise for street/track car. If you're commuting 100 miles a day, I would keep toe at 0. I've heard different theories on rear camber, and I'll let someone else comment on it, but I believe I have mine set at 2°. Toe-in in the rear is also helpful, but I personally don't think it's as noticable as the front toe-out.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/11/08 9:41 p.m.

Thanks very much to both of you. I'll get the alignment in a few weeks.

(GRM rules question): If this is the second alignment done on the car since its purchase, do both count towards the budget?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/08 1:33 a.m.

also check out the "icehawk alignment" on miata.net I have that on mine and I have wicked turn-in

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YGuOmxDn0oqMCisOzSmEHI1701PsE6Hxbb1xQEGQJMnwEkHDrBmMWCfihBLHmHz2