1 2 3
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/13 10:58 a.m.

Attention Michigan GRM members!

Senator Tupac A. Hunter of Detroit has introduced a bill to the MI senate for the return of front license plates! I haven't been able to find the bill number. Write him and your senator to tell them NO!

Ever try to find a front plate bracket for a 20 year old car in a state that hasn't used them in 30+ years?

http://www.freep.com/article/20131026/NEWS06/310260042/Michigan-bill-requires-2-license-plates-on-vehicles

http://hunter.senatedems.com/news/article/hunter-introduces-new-license-plate-bill-to-combat-crime-protect-citizens

Edit / update:

online petition saying no to front plates:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/no-front-license-plates-1.fb40?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=9379566

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
10/27/13 11:21 a.m.

berkeley. That bracket ruins fuel economy right?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
10/27/13 11:46 a.m.

^^ My friend tried using this argument with a cop, might have worked if he was not driving an old bread truck

Gearheadotaku
10/27/13 11:47 a.m.

It sure does. One more reason to protest, right?

I can imagine the engineers getting done with the aerodynamics and styling on a car then having a front plate berkley up all their work.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/13 11:58 a.m.

Heard about this yesterday. Damn right I'm gonna write in about it. I'm just trying to to think of a better reason than "They are ugly"

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
10/27/13 12:12 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Heard about this yesterday. Damn right I'm gonna write in about it. I'm just trying to to think of a better reason than "They are ugly"

That's enough as far as I'm concerned.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/27/13 12:18 p.m.

Quick, somebody make up a form letter.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
10/27/13 12:33 p.m.

Better yet, don't vote for him at the next election.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
10/27/13 1:39 p.m.

Well that makes perfect sense. A Senator from Detroit, the most corrupt, debt ridden, bankrupt, wasted shell of city introduces a bill to bring back front license plates. The answer to a question that nobody asked. Shouldn't he be more focused on more mundane things like bringing back street lights, restoring garbage pick up, increasing fire and police protection to the poor people of Detroit. And maybe bull dozing down thousands of vacant homes used as drug houses. You know the things people pay taxes for in the first place. Maybe next they can bring back the other major fail that we got rid of, emissions testing. Good golly, these politicians have no bounds to their stupidity. Just for the record I live in Michigan just 10 miles outside of Detroit and you probably have guessed that I am against this bill.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/13 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed:

certainly some of the revenue from "no front plate" tickets will be skimmed for those city services you mention.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
10/27/13 2:34 p.m.

Something tells me this has more to do with license plate scanners on police cars getting more "hits" than anything else.

Gearheadotaku
10/27/13 2:36 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Heard about this yesterday. Damn right I'm gonna write in about it. I'm just trying to to think of a better reason than "They are ugly"

Ever try to find a front plate bracket for a 20 year old car in a state that hasn't used them in 30+ years?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/27/13 2:50 p.m.

Meanwhile, some people in Ohio are trying to get rid of the front license plate...

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20130519/ohio-bill-would-require-only-1-license-plate

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/13 3:16 p.m.

I know some people who live and drive in Ohio that haven't put their front plate on in over 5 years...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/13 3:20 p.m.
stan wrote: I know some people who live and drive in Ohio that haven't put their front plate on in over 5 years...

It was only brought up twice in the time I've had my current car. The first time, the officer mentioned "No front plate?" I just replied "The car came from a state without them." He shrugged and left it at that.

The second time, I was pulled over because of the lack of front plate.

Have front plate on the car now, but I put it off to the side so that it doesn't block airflow quite so much. Really, a lot of officers don't care, or are against front plates to begin with (a lot of 'em are car guys too), so being cited for it is either luck of the draw, or you're being an a-hole and he's piling on every equipment violation he can find.

Knurled
10/27/13 3:25 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Something tells me this has more to do with license plate scanners on police cars getting more "hits" than anything else.

If you want to get all cynical about it, think about the revenue generated if everybody had to buy new plates for their cars.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/27/13 3:53 p.m.

90% of stupid bills like this one never make it past the first hearing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
10/27/13 3:56 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: 90% of stupid bills like this one never make it past the first hearing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

yup. Just like every year here in Va. where a bill is introduced to get rid of the front plate. Always gets tabled in committee

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/27/13 4:13 p.m.

And Texas just passed the law authorizing a $200 ticket for no front plate.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/27/13 4:17 p.m.

Only time I was ever asked about mine was a cop that was bent on giving me an equipment ticket. He tagged me for that.... Didn't like the insurance on my phone and really didn't like my tint. Strangely he was "on leave" when I went back to the station for an inspection and another cop discharged it and left it on his desk. That paperwork somehow disappeared and I had to go to court to have it thrown out. I suspect the officer I'm question had been placed on leave for a reason and I was just the target of his affections.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/27/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to stan:

It depends on where you live, and who the cop is. I've been ticketed 3 times over the years in three different districts, and my buddy has been once.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
10/27/13 4:50 p.m.
mndsm wrote: cop that was bent on giving me an equipment ticket.

...or he was just bent on enforcing the law. Which is kind of his job....

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
10/27/13 5:41 p.m.

It's a (speed) trap! Cops want them because it makes a nice reflective surface to bounce laser off of on the front of the car.

Knurled
10/27/13 6:45 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: It's a (speed) trap! Cops want them because it makes a nice reflective surface to bounce laser off of on the front of the car.

The headlights work very well for that. So does, well, just about every other surface on the front of the car.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
10/27/13 6:51 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:

Why bother with a bracket? Just drill the plate into the bumper, that is what the dealer did when my car came from a rear plate state(PA)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M25fZfR0RHQff0rzB2449kjDZUePGa6s5C6fp7R0dWrYfqcmLqaNotiLdagO0dfq