Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/23 9:52 p.m.

My buddy lives out there and wants to camp for the race.  What spot is the best?  What tips can you give us?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/23 11:38 p.m.

Yes, Devil's Playground. Camp down lower - Ski Area - and get up at 3 am to drive up. The campground will get quiet very early. Then go back to sleep. A VW Westfalia is perfect for this :)

Be ready for any weather. Bring a radio to listen to the race broadcast and any food you'll need - you'll be completely unsupported all day. It'll take a long time to get down the mountain at the end of the day. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/22/23 8:17 p.m.

That is a bucket list event for me.  My racing mentor that just passed away was building one of his mustangs for it.  

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
11/22/23 9:03 p.m.

What Keith said.  Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.  The first time I went to the top of Pike's Peak, it felt like I was wearing a 20 lb. backpack.  Devil's Playground is at 12k, but you'll still feel the difference in altitude.  Take thunderstorms very seriously up there.  The rocks have a high iron content and lighting can put on a show.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
11/23/23 11:46 a.m.

Devil's playground is the spot. Pack clothes for any and every type of weather. If you decide to imbibe, remember that altitude will  amplify the effects, especially if you don't live in CO. 

If you're going to bring a pop-up sun shade, weigh it down heavily. The winds up there are vicious. I'd recommend a smaller tent, preferably with someone in it  at all times. When you depart, consider compression braking at least part of the way down. Setting your brakes on fire is pretty common.

Keith Tanner
11/23/23 11:56 a.m.

The only time I've overheated the brakes on the Vanagon was inching down Pikes at 1 mph after the race. 

The last time we went, there was a pause in the race for weather (ie, slush flurries). We made s'mores in the Westy while everyone else huddled in pickup trucks :)

Eric (Ottawa)
Eric (Ottawa) GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/23 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

We made s'mores in the Westy...
Pics or it didn't happen...

Keith Tanner
11/23/23 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Eric (Ottawa) :

We're not teenagers, so not everything gets a picture :) But I can suggest that you avoid swinging a flaming marshmallow around in the case of a flame situation.  

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/23 8:36 p.m.

We didn't camp which meant getting to the parking lot at early to line up. I think we showed up around midnight and slept in the car. People were in line tailgating all night. I believe the good spots fill up then they won't let any more cars up. Devils playground is one of those areas. It's nice if you have a car or SUV you can nap in. There will be weather delays, accident delays etc. It takes a long time to get down after the event. All the race cars drive down first, then spectators start heading down at a snails pace. Don't be in a rush. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7953qGIyyVh7nUfCp4euS9iO8ct6BUcqR3mRsSk6u2VvkZkkvDsY3c1nbaSHdA4e