Marty! Less filling, Tastes great!
Marty! Less filling, Tastes great! Reader
12/17/09 8:43 p.m.

The longest continually operating track in the country will not be holding any races next year. The Mile has been operating for 105 years and has been in negotiations for the past year to have new owners and promoters take over. It was announced today that a deal could not be reached and 2 Nascar races and the Indy series will have to be relocated. Sad day here in WI for race fans.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/79433807.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Mile

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/17/09 9:13 p.m.

Bummer...although I'm not a huge fan of either series, I am a huge fan of old race tracks staying open (and used!).

Bryce

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
12/17/09 10:47 p.m.

I had no idea the track had been used for that long. What I do know is the two experiences I have had with the track have not been great. An IRL race there years ago was a let down to watch after some of the other races I got to watch on Target's dime. And Chicago Region had a race cancelled there because it was not safe (it wasn't). Crappy thing was it was not cancelled until most people were there on Friday night with cars out of trailers, tents up and so on.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
12/18/09 9:27 p.m.

That sucks!!! That's three races I always look forward to watching

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/18/09 10:23 p.m.

maybe they will move one of the nascar races, and the Indy race to a better track in Wisconsin. (RA anyone?)

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/09 10:33 p.m.

Wow, that's sad.
I used to watch Dick Trickle and Alan Kulwicki battle it out on the Milwaukee Mile (ASA or ARCA) back when I was a kid. Lot's of great memories with my Dad watching races and camping at that track.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/09 2:55 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: maybe they will move one of the nascar races, and the Indy race to a better track in Wisconsin. (RA anyone?)

+1

I work less than a mile from 'The Mile'. I was taken to many a mediocre IRL race as a kid (I remember the cool cars parked in the infield more than the races). The trip to Road America before my 6th birthday is probably why I'm on this board. The heritage is interesting, but as somebody who drives past it daily, it's kind of a monument to nothing.

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
12/21/09 5:17 p.m.

I read on another board that there may be a NASCAR race at RA to replace the Mile. Long overdue if it happens.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
12/21/09 5:53 p.m.
jimbbski wrote: I read on another board that there may be a NASCAR race at RA to replace the Mile. Long overdue if it happens.

Supposedly the Nationwide series will be there June 19th. I sure hope so.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
12/21/09 7:17 p.m.

That's too bad.

The only time I ever kissed the wall (really just a very light peck, but a little kiss nonetheless) was at the very first DE at the Mile with Milwaukee PCA. Very tight infield with no runoff.

pmchase
pmchase New Reader
12/22/09 9:24 a.m.

The only NASCAR races I don't nod off during are the ones at road courses. I'd love to see them go to RA but....My understanding was that NASCAR won't go to RA because it doesn't have garages.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/22/09 12:08 p.m.

Actually, I just read in today's paper the Nationwide series will race at Road America this year. That should be interesting.

alex
alex Dork
12/22/09 1:07 p.m.

According to RA's website, NACAR Nationwide is there the weekend of June 19 - the weekend after the AHRMA Vintage bike races/swap meet. Sounds like I've got a week in Wisconsin planned this summer.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/22/09 1:49 p.m.
alex wrote: According to RA's website, NACAR Nationwide is there the weekend of June 19 - the weekend after the AHRMA Vintage bike races/swap meet. Sounds like I've got a week in Wisconsin planned this summer.

That sounds fun.

I'd go to RA for a race if my friend will be driving in that one...

Hmmm...

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hqT1IwMg3gCcFMzsQ7kFq2DJBKQ6ijX4KVW1YHFEMW8fD4hZRbzaXGkRSDUnok4I