1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/16/15 3:36 p.m.

That door looks crazy small for that car. Door sill is mega high. I bet ingress/egress is a bitch.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/15 3:47 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:

I dig it. Especially the back half. The nose isn't all that successful. Is there actually an engine packaged under that hood?

I do wish MINI would let the cars stand on their own, though. See the blurb on the stand?

"The MINI Superleggera Vision elegantly embodies what the classic MINI (sic) started 55 years - the essence of a highly emotional and pure design statement."

Umm, from what I know of it the Mini was the essence of an engineer's car, built to be affordable and practical transportation. It wasn't meant to be emotional.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/16/15 3:58 p.m.

Engine packaging isn't much of an issue.....it's electric.

http://www.mini.com/superleggera/

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
1/16/15 4:30 p.m.
RossD wrote: If it's front wheel drive, I wouldn't be cross shopping it with a Miata.

The original Miata was cross-shopped with the FWD Mercury Capri. Don't see any difference between that and this.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/16/15 4:50 p.m.

In reply to modernbeat:

Yes, I bet they were crossed shopped, but not by RossD or anyone else on this board. He didn't say the general car buying public wouldn't cross shop it with a Miata, he said he wouldn't. Me neither.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/16/15 4:59 p.m.

I cross shopped the NC Miata and the MINI roadster recently. Love them both.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/16/15 5:54 p.m.

THIS is what the Mini Roadster should have looked like...A more sporty, unique, and distinctive (but still 'retro' themed and 'cute' enough to be a Mini) body would have at least given them a starting point for justifying the $35k-$45k price tag on most of the ones at the dealership.

The TBird, which invented the "personal luxury car" segment, is pretty much defined by being overweight and a bit slow. It serves as a good reminder that it takes more than just RWD to make something that is as rewarding to drive as a well executed (lightweight and nimble) FWD car.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
1/16/15 11:03 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to modernbeat: Yes, I bet they were crossed shopped, but not by RossD or anyone else on this board. He didn't say the general car buying public wouldn't cross shop it with a Miata, he said he wouldn't. Me neither.

I was there when the Miata was introduced. The Miata and the FWD Capri were heavilly cross shopped. Even by my younger brother who ended up with a Capri due to the price gouging on the Miata in '89. I ended up buying a new XR4ti.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/15 2:12 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Engine packaging isn't much of an issue.....it's electric. http://www.mini.com/superleggera/

And that's why I support this. There are no attainable sporty versions of electric cars, besides Tesla. If you want an electric competitor to the Panamera, Tesla is there. If you want an electronic competitor to the Miata or GTI, there is no LEAF SE-R, Volt SS, ELR V, or Fiat 500e Abarth.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FahPzW5hh5Sv8AUttZjldsJqo9QhNiUaQEWvpgV2WwwR6zKOrhSmVmf4bAz3eFDO