1 2 3
psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
5/23/11 9:48 p.m.

I bought a '92 voyager a little over a year ago and have put close to 80k miles on it. I looked for a 3.3 because I wanted pushrods (no timing belt or smoking mitsubishi valve seals/guides)

I rebuilt the A604 with kevlar clutches, new steels and a shift kit from trans go and it changed the vans personality. I actually get better gas mileage now and I don't know if that is due to a tighter converter or the new shift points, but I average close to 24MPG and drive like an idiot. The van will chirp going into second if I floor it on dry pavement and I haven't touched the engine yet.

I think this was probably the best $500 vehicle I ever purchased and keep meaning to upload some pictures of it with my custom interior (Dakota bench seat FTW) one of these days.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/24/11 12:34 a.m.

Sounds great. The 3.3 is a wonderfully reliable motor. Id really like to do something with mine after 10yrs of ownership.. Ive got a T67 and related parts sitting on the floorboard but it has yet to install itself.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/24/11 1:42 a.m.

I have researched the 1990-1997 toyota previa-96-97 were supercharged and the street kids all want the blower. it looks like an egg, but the ergonomics are superior and it rated well. strait four lying flat, midengined, rear wheel drive. next year I will drive my vanagon middie and convert a 96-97 previa to chrysler power with beamer rears. and then move up in life.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo New Reader
5/24/11 7:25 a.m.

In reply to thummmper:

There is not that much difference between the Previa, the early MPV, and the Astro/Safari. They are all more or less front mid-engined, rear drive, solid rear axle vehicles. They all have rather horrible crash ratings too. I wouldn't get one as a family vehicle.

The Japanese MPV class vehicles are all rather low power compared to American minivans (which the 1998+ Sienna and 1999+ Odyssey are). It is also disappointing that the MPV-class vehicles with manual transmissions don't get any better gas mileage. A couple of rarer MPVs available with manuals: 90-92 Nissan Axxess, 93-95 Mitsubishi Expo .

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
5/24/11 8:14 a.m.

Interesting how, until the last couple of posts, everyone was concentrating on American minvans. However, don't ignore the Japanese or Korean ones. My wife has been driving her 2004 Kia Sedona since it was new and it has been dead reliable for her. However, skimming the ads doesn't reveal any in your price range. The earlier ones (2002-2003) had issues that were fixed in '04.

failboat
failboat Reader
5/24/11 10:02 a.m.

I had a 1992 3.3 town and country a number of years ago. great vehicle, was totaled when I hit a deer. It was my 'rents and handed down to me. Someone in my neighborhood has one that looks exactly like mine did, brings back memories.

To be honest IMO that van held up much better over its lifespan than my 'rents current 2000 3.3 caravan has.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Luw8hKdHnrPOar95i4SMRbAkphYBRcUCoXGKA3E9XgG0E2A0olup9So5kLNVSPz9