mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/11 8:55 a.m.

So.. I spent two days replacing the head gasket in my 900. Not really a bad job.. but difficult to do alone and I was into unknown territory on this car.

Started right up without any problems.. except for a collapsed lifter. The taptaptaptaptaptap is driving me nuts and after running for 45 minutes, still has not gone away.. so I need to delve back under the hood to replace it. Thankfully the lifters in my NG are the same part numbers.

Now that my rant is over.. the issue

What does the oilfiller neck hook onto? I know it was attached to something before, but now I can't find it

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/3/11 11:38 a.m.

Goes to the oil pan area. Make sure things are tight too. My '86 900 had stumbling issues right after purchase, ran it back to the dealer, guy hops in scoots off comes back; "You're all set".

Wait, what? Whadja do?

When you put the filler cap on it clips to two ears, I missed one. Inconsistant crank case pressure, runs like crap.

Oh.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
2/3/11 4:03 p.m.

The car should idle fine without the dipstick (earlier ones won't). The filler goes right into the gearbox,

The lifters are well-known to get noisy after major work. If they don't shut up after about 30 minutes, then you may need to bleed the oil system. See your Bentley manual for the procedure, or maybe look for it on townsendimports.com or the usual forums.

mad_machine
2/3/11 4:16 p.m.

well, I discovered I almost killed the engine.

I had the valves out to redo the seals.. and somehow reversed the camcaps and bolts. So not only were the caps on the wrong journals, but the bolt with the oilslot was in the wrong hole.

Too cold outside to play with it now.. I have to make sure all the bolts are facing the right way for best oil flow, bleed the air, and hopefully I will not need new lifters.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
2/3/11 4:23 p.m.

Bummer. I have installed used lifters before without issue: they are hardened. The owner of a busy Saab indy told me not to bother with buying new ones ($$).

mad_machine
2/3/11 4:34 p.m.

I have 16 more in my parts NG900. Thankfully the parts numbers for the lifters are the same for the 2.0NG and the 2.1classic

mad_machine
2/4/11 9:07 p.m.

finally got the head bled... I have gotten VERY good at getting the valve cover off an on. Took me half an hour today to take it off, loosen the number 4 cylinder's cam journal, run the engine (with a box over the chain and gears to keep the oil down) tighten up the bolt (while the engine was running) then shut it down and button everything up.

I kinda expected more pressure.. guess that was why they do not self bleed that well

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UN1x28JWaMlDXTLW1z9rLfhGbTUkx689WpzHG5qrG1uw7elM98JWKKqRlW3nRGvr