1 2
mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 6:01 p.m.

So, she's looking for something that has AWD, but is cushier than a WRX. Her two most recent cars have been an Audi A6 and a Volvo sedan of some sort that had low profile tires that have been destroyed by Detroit area roads (five replaced in less than a year). A -1 fitment won't work due to the brake calipers, so she's sending it away, and needs something else.

AWD (no, she doesn't want FWD + snow tires). New to 3 years old Comfortable to drive (Detroit roads) Carry four adults in comfort Reasonable maintenance costs. NO low profile tires.

And no, she didn't like my recommendation of a 911 turbo, and sod off to the passengers.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/12 6:05 p.m.

We very nearly bought a regular Impreza rather than our WRX. If I had it to do over, I probably would just buy an Impreza, since this is just a DD.

Or by "cushier" do you mean "more luxury" rather than just "softer suspended"?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/6/12 6:05 p.m.

Another Subaru product, Legacy, Outback, Forester, Tribeca maybe?

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/6/12 6:11 p.m.

Probably able to get a killer deal on an AWD Kisashi...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
11/6/12 6:13 p.m.

I just went through similar with my 80 yr old (a very young 80) M-I-L. Out of a '06 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, the new winner was a new, this year, '13 Ford Escape.
Runners up were:
Honda CRV
Ford Edge
Toyota Venza

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 6:15 p.m.

I know that she has looked at the Venza, but that was when she got the Audi. Might have to have her look at it again.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 6:16 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

Or by "cushier" do you mean "more luxury" rather than just "softer suspended"?

Both. She had high end Camry's before the Audi. She wants something that can get out of it's own way, so a base Impreza is likely out of the picture, but some of the turbo hcarged AWD subaru's might fit, like the Forester.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/12 6:17 p.m.

Nobody is going to go from an A6 Quattro to an Impreza people, wake up!

The AWD Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger use smaller brakes/wheels and actually have quite a bit of sidewall. I'd look closely at the 300 V6 with the 8-speed auto in AWD form. They have some nice packages, too.

Another option is the CTS 4. Two of the people in my building own them, both 3.6L V6 sedans. Very sharp looking and always here in the snow. IIRC, one has 17's on it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/6/12 6:19 p.m.

The SHO would be on my list, but it comes with 19's.
Seems like there is at least one Buick that doesn't suck that comes with AWD bud damned if I can figure out which one.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/6/12 6:37 p.m.

If she had a camry, but wants AWD, then the obvious choice is the Legacy. It looks like a "mom" car too, these days......

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/6/12 6:41 p.m.

Why do you need awd in Detroit?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/6/12 6:43 p.m.

AWD accord crosstour? Anyone?
I've got to be the only person who likes how they look.
Still an option.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/6/12 6:56 p.m.

Taurus SHO.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/12 8:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: AWD accord crosstour? Anyone? I've got to be the only person who likes how they look.

You may be correct.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
11/6/12 8:37 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: AWD accord crosstour? Anyone? I've got to be the only person who likes how they look.
You may be correct.

Forget the may - BUTT UGLY!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/12 8:40 p.m.

If I'm reading your statement correctly, then it's the Volvo that had too-low-profile tires, and not the Audi? What did she dislike about the Audi?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/6/12 8:56 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
Woody wrote:
You may be correct.
Forget the may - BUTT UGLY!

Well, that just means two year old models should be cheap, and that's good. Plus, you'll never lose your car in a parking lot because you'll always be the only one. The more I think about it, the more the Crosstour makes sense. I'm starting to think its the perfect answer. Really.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/6/12 8:59 p.m.

Ford Fusion AWD?

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
11/6/12 9:17 p.m.

Legacy GT

MS6

Mazda CX9

335xi

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 9:30 p.m.

She had a Camry, it was AWD. And another that was AWD. The first that she owned as 4WD, as it was a Canadian market car. She feels that she needs AWD since she HAS to get to work, and most of our relatives are in the Ontario snow belt, so AWD doesn't hurt.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 9:32 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

Audi was becoming VERY expensive to maintain. I am 10+ hours away, so to a mechanic it goes.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/6/12 9:54 p.m.

Sooooooooo.......crosstour? Amiright?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/6/12 10:24 p.m.

I'll see what she thinks of it. She's well asleep at this point, hopefully I can get her tomorrow before I go to work.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/7/12 6:45 a.m.

still think that Subaru is the answer ... somewhere in their product line-up would be the perfect car for her ....

wish I had not had to get rid of mine ... just needed the pulling capacity the truck brings ... ( sadly it's 4wd as opposed to awd )

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/12 7:52 a.m.

+1 for Legacy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MefCspCjeOUNBhIZbsF7wXlRlETHLuwh8QNGiye83nYcqpEwYGy8YvYRBshg7RIH