Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/19/15 12:13 p.m.

We'll know in a few days, but I suspect the Battle Bus is going to be totaled (2000 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3, 70k miles). I wouldn't mind modernizing a little, so I'm bench shopping. Here are some random thoughts:

• It's a road trip / utility / backup vehicle that will likely get 3,000 miles / yr
  • Purchase price definitely <$15k, but lower is better - budget will depend on vehicle
  • Would like one with <75,000 miles at time of purchase
  • AWD would be preferred, but is not a strict requirement
  • Leather would be nice, but is not a strict requirement

So far the two that keep popping up in my head are the Mopar twins, particularly in the 3.8/6AT Touring package. I've got plenty of happy experience with my previous Caravans, and no reason not to expect more of the same. There are a million of them out there, and I can find lots of nice 2006+ examples with 60k on the clock for under $10k. Plus, they usually have the Stow-N-Go seating, which is a plus for Mrs. Duke. The only real drawback is that AWD was discontinued in 2007, and AWD versions are not that common.

So, enter the Flex idea. Never driven, or even sat in one. I like the styling and interior space. It's more readily available in AWD. It has pros and cons, of course:

• (-) More expensive ($3-6k), particularly in newer AWD format
  • (-) Higher miles / $ at a given price point
  • (-) No stow-n-go seating (right?)
  • (-) About 150-200 lbs heavier than comparable GC/T&C
  • (+) More power than comparable GC/T&C
  • (+) More interior space than comparable GC/T&C
  • (+) AWD easier to find, and in newer cars

So, what's the GRM hive opinion between the two? Or other suggestions? I'm not a big fan of any GM offerings in this format. The Kia Sedona looks interesting but maybe not as large inside as these two, and what I need this for is hauling a huge volume of crap 8 or 10 times a year, rather than a moderate volume of crap every week. Odysseys look nice, but I'm not too interested in paying the Honda tax, particularly since it will only get driven a couple times a month, and buying used, the dreaded ATX problem lurks. I know nothing about the Sienna except that resale is premium on those, too, like the Honda.

Thoughts? Thanks!

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/19/15 12:18 p.m.

Explorer - same chassis family as Flex, but better looking IMHO

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/19/15 12:30 p.m.

It's a utility vehicle for me, and I am very comfortable with the whole minivan thing. I want maximum interior volume and access, and I don't really need towing capacity or ground clearance.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/19/15 12:30 p.m.

This hurts me to say, but Ecoboost AWD flex. After driving a pentastar equipped van I don't think I'd buy a 3.3/3.8 version.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/19/15 12:33 p.m.

Current van has a 3.3/4AT, which is adequate (more would be nice) and has been stone-axe reliable. 3.8 should be the same, if I avoid the 4.0. Why do you vote against?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/19/15 12:50 p.m.

Flex doesn't have the rear legroom. I want one and wife says no based on that reason. the Chrysler T&C is roomier.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/15 12:56 p.m.

The biggest thing for me against the flex is no sliding doors. Seriously every car should have them. They open much bigger, there is no threat of dinging the car next to you (or not having the space to get out because of a long door), they often can work automatically (two hands full of stuff = none to open door with).

If its a utility vehicle, its hard for me to vote against the utility of dual power sliding doors.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/20/15 7:54 a.m.

We're looking hard at the Flex to replace our MPV. We drove an Explorer and, though it is a really nice place to be, the visibility is much worse than in a Flex. Comparing the specs of the Flex to the MPV, the Flex is bigger, it also has a bit more room behind the third seat than the Explorer. That said, Chrysler vans are plentiful and it shouldn't be hard to find one in your price range, and for max interior room, you can't beat a van.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/20/15 8:00 a.m.

GC

Sliding doors, stow and go for the win

Also, get the Pentastar engine (3.6/6 speed), they are fantastic.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/20/15 8:17 a.m.

We just looked at both, as we're cross shopping minivans, large SUVs and the Flex. The GC is nice, as tuna said. Easier access to the third row than in the Flex. Also they can be had at a much better price point. You can get a leather, low mileage one in your price range.

Flex is really nice. Just more expensive. But with tow package, it can haul more than a minivan...5000lbs vs. 3500ish for most minivans.

You mentioned the Sedona, so I'll give a huge +1 for that. We've had our '06 since new. Hauled/towed all kinds of E36 M3. It also has served as my hotel room for weekends at LeMons races. It's at 110k now and needs some maintenance stuff (I've been good about fluid changes, but haven't kept up with other stuff), but it's a horse.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/20/15 9:01 a.m.

Look for a year or two old GC with the American Value Pack. These are 20K new and should be really cheap now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z1zYvKxYExEOdZ8865rMZULAlVWYTH1jy6Lulaby0NLUHN6MTltHN2Tg4A8wngxr