1 2 3
02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
3/31/13 8:15 p.m.

With the budget you're talking about, you could buy a really, really nice E39 and put a new transmission in it right off the bat.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/13 8:21 p.m.

I always thought the problem with the E39's autotrans was that it was adaptive and learns a lot of bad habits? Like people who only accelerate slowly and it learns to never use 1st gear

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/31/13 8:53 p.m.

Personally, I like the E series Mercedes over the 5 series BMW if equipped with an auto. I'm especially partial to the AMG versions of the Merc.

I'd also maybe look at a Jag but you already said no.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/13 9:03 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: How about this? I think it sounds like a great idea http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3705745087.html 86 MASERATI.425 Biturbo . - $3500 (pacifica) NICE1986 MASERATI BITURBO 425 READ:NEW TIMMING BELT,WATER PUMP,BRAKES,TRANSMISSION SERVICED,FULL TUNE UP,GREAT CONDITION FULL LEATHER,WITH CAMEL TRIM..GOOD COLLECTOR CAR..DRIVES AND HANDLE WELL CALL AT 650-557-6454..

Nah, hold out for a fuel injected car. The '89 and '90 430 will be a MUCH better car, quiafe based diff in the rear, more displacement, bigger intake valves, intercoolers, better interior, 5 lug wheels, just a much better car.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
3/31/13 9:41 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I always thought the problem with the E39's autotrans was that it was adaptive and learns a lot of bad habits? Like people who only accelerate slowly and it learns to never use 1st gear

That may be part of it, but the consensus of the BMW techs I've talked to is that the "lifetime" fluid is the main culprit. "Lifetime" to BMW seems to mean the lifetime of the transmission, which seems to be somewhere between 100-150k miles in many cases, at which point you buy a new transmission with new "lifetime" fluid. Changing the fluid at reasonable intervals (I keep hearing 30k from the pros) seems to make them last far longer.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
3/31/13 10:04 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
Travis_K wrote: How about this? I think it sounds like a great idea http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3705745087.html 86 MASERATI.425 Biturbo . - $3500 (pacifica) NICE1986 MASERATI BITURBO 425 READ:NEW TIMMING BELT,WATER PUMP,BRAKES,TRANSMISSION SERVICED,FULL TUNE UP,GREAT CONDITION FULL LEATHER,WITH CAMEL TRIM..GOOD COLLECTOR CAR..DRIVES AND HANDLE WELL CALL AT 650-557-6454..
Nah, hold out for a fuel injected car. The '89 and '90 430 will be a MUCH better car, quiafe based diff in the rear, more displacement, bigger intake valves, intercoolers, better interior, 5 lug wheels, just a much better car.

True, the newer ones are better. But, that is the second 4 door I have seen for sale in this area, and maybe the 3rd one that sounds like its actually registered and running. I dont think I have seen a 430 for sale anywhere for less than $8k either.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/13 10:06 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: That may be part of it, but the consensus of the BMW techs I've talked to is that the "lifetime" fluid is the main culprit. "Lifetime" to BMW seems to mean the lifetime of the transmission, which seems to be somewhere between 100-150k miles in many cases, at which point you buy a new transmission with new "lifetime" fluid. Changing the fluid at reasonable intervals (I keep hearing 30k from the pros) seems to make them last far longer.

That was my understanding as well.

geckowraps
geckowraps New Reader
4/1/13 12:08 a.m.

These cars look so beautiful, I love it.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
4/1/13 7:47 a.m.

My dad has 104k. Mi. On his 2008 BMW M5 SMG. So far, the clutch position sensor went ($1000) and the thermostat went ($600, I think). Otherwise, the car has been flawless. Routine maintenance is DIYable and the fluids are more expsneive than most cars but not ridicouslously so, for example, 10 Quarts of 10W60 costs $80, you can count on changing the oil every 10-15,000mi. and adding a Quart once between oil changes. Fuel mileage is reasonable provided that you short shift. He gets nearly 20mpg with the narrow snow tires and about 18.5 on the summer tires but is a fairly aggressive driver. The automatic mode on the M5 is designed as more of a "for emergency use only" feature than a well designed one. Don't get me wrong, it will ferry your wife around when the RR is in the shop but you won't want to make a regular habit of using it. In the more adventurous colors (Red, Blue, "Seoang Bronze") with a contrasting interior, they are very handsome cars in my opinion. Unfortunately, most M5s are unadventerous silver/black, black/black, white/black combinations. Edit: These are Indy shop prices. If you take it to the $tealership, expect to pay.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/13 7:56 a.m.

Sounds like a job for the W124 Chassis E500. BAT has one listed currently:

You get a solid car, great chassis, epic motor, and some change for your $25K. Easy to get old folks in and out of, and fun to drive.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/1/13 8:06 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Stealthtercel wrote: People on here really seem to like the E38 740 with the sport package. Should be well within your budget. No personal experience to go on, unfortunately, but they do look nice.
That might be worth looking into - I didn't want something too big if we go European as she doesn't like driving large cars that much (the P38 RR is pretty much the size limit).

The E38 feels smaller to drive then the P38...

Mine:

They feel smaller as you drive them faster, too, and the SWB Sport version is better yet (mine was a LWB that had lots of room in the back seat, I carried my in-laws around quite a bit)

The trans issue is, as noted, lifetime fill fluids. Mine was still fine at 185k miles, but if you find one with about 100k on it, just do the BG flush and fill and it'll be good for another 100k.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/13 12:11 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Sounds like a job for the W124 Chassis E500. BAT has one listed currently: You get a solid car, great chassis, epic motor, and some change for your $25K. Easy to get old folks in and out of, and fun to drive.

This.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/1/13 3:46 p.m.

I may have an '01 540i for sale in the $5k range soon.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
4/1/13 4:47 p.m.

The E46 SMG transmission is a horrible excuse for an automatic transmission. You basically drive it like a manual minus a clutch pedal. It lurches at slow speeds, bangs into gear and is generally recalcitrant to deal with in any situation that isn't a race track.

Also aged parents won't like having to get into and out of the back seat of the E46 M3.

I'd go with an E class AMG or the E39 540i...

mad_machine
4/1/13 5:36 p.m.

well. the SMG is not really an auto..

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/13 6:57 p.m.

If the wife wants a BMW you can probably get a CPO BMW 5er in your budget. Perhaps you can even get maintenance included at that price, either way you can get a loaner when you need it and reduce the worries.

A couple of years ago I got a CPO E90 335i sport package auto for your budget with a little more than 30k on it. I had a window regulator go out and there was a fuel pump recall and that is it. 300hp/ 300tq and it will do 30 on an all highway tank and 24-25mpg mixed. Not sure about getting older parents in the back seat but I have twins and can load two huge carseats in the back without issue.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
4/1/13 11:09 p.m.
Javelin wrote: *Ahem*

I am just nuts enough to DD this. I would love a cloud though.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
4/1/13 11:49 p.m.

From what I have heard about those they are about as good an idea for a DD as a 70s Lamborghini lol. If someone was seriously interested in them, this guy from the peachparts board works on them. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/members/whunter.html

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/13 11:59 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Javelin wrote: *Ahem*
I am just nuts enough to DD this. I would love a cloud though.

If I had the money, I would totally rock a classic RR as my DD.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/2/13 9:17 a.m.

Anyone seriously considering the Roller should look at this restoration thread for a DD Rolls Royce

'67 Rolls Royce Thread

BoxheadTim
4/2/13 2:57 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: The E38 feels smaller to drive then the P38... Mine: They feel smaller as you drive them faster, too, and the SWB Sport version is better yet (mine was a LWB that had lots of room in the back seat, I carried my in-laws around quite a bit)

It's not necessarily only how they feel, but also the actual size. She doesn't like driving big cars too much anyway, the Range Rover is mostly OK because it doesn't feel that big but if I showed up with something that looks even bigger, that is going to be an issue.

Oh, and the idea of a Bentley or Rolls Royce has been nixed, too.

mad_machine
4/2/13 3:35 p.m.

how about a Roller with an LS1? You could even make money off of it.. renting it out for weddings (as long as it is white) or funerals (if black)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
4/2/13 3:58 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: how about a Roller with an LS1? You could even make money off of it.. renting it out for weddings (as long as it is white) or funerals (if black)

The engine transmission combo is the last thing to break in a RR, its the suspension and wonky hydraulics that eat at your wallet.

a properly sorted car at around 20K buy in I could more then likely keep running for 2-3K a year baring any catastrophe,. Rust and suspension problems are what kill them in the long run.

If I could get a good solid DD no rust car with 15K on the clock and some mild patina issues I think I might jump. How much worse can it be then my old 356 speedster to DD.

mad_machine
4/2/13 4:30 p.m.

still.. you could rent it out for special events. Recoupe the maintance costs

BoxheadTim
4/2/13 4:31 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: how about a Roller with an LS1? You could even make money off of it.. renting it out for weddings (as long as it is white) or funerals (if black)

The idea didn't get nixed because of the engine...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTosAFGuRM5nanDRgHHeU2AQ3ngju1WrJUuieF7ncjjpEm6R7mh5k49dnEotHp7P