nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
9/9/12 10:25 p.m.

I know we've had discussions about various glassing projects before. And I have some experience working with it. What I have in mind is a much more complex project than I've attempted before.

On my old 1982 e21 I had a FOHA front lip spoiler.These are made from pure weapons grade unobtainium here in the States. And when they do pop up for sale they are huge$$$.

I would like to copy this spoiler and incorporate the area where the rubber bellows are behind the bumper into the piece.

I'm comfortable with the actual layup part of the process. I don't know the best way to create the mold to work off of.

The front valance comes off easily but it's very flexible off the car. Because of that I'd be afraid to try and work with it off the car.

I really don't know where to start. Any advice?

Pics of what I would like to recreate.

I would like to bring it up the sides and incorporate this piece that runs from behind the bumper to the wheel well.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/10/12 12:01 a.m.

Trying to make the mold on the car probably isn't such a bad idea. You'd have to smother the area you'll hit with the fibreglass with mold release wax and make sure that you don't accidentally stick fg to anything around it.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
9/10/12 5:53 a.m.

Find a spare lower valance and attach it to the valance off the car. You may need to reinforce the steel part so it doesn't flex.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
9/10/12 7:07 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: Find a spare lower valance and attach it to the valance off the car. You may need to reinforce the steel part so it doesn't flex.

This. Or just make a reinforcing buck from wood but you will be much better off doing this off car if you can. I'm not sure what type of resins you like to use but I've found that given any access to get below the paint (stone chip, scratch, etc) polyester resin will absolutely berkeley up an otherwise nice paintjob so unless you were planning on repainting the car it's on anyway I'd be leery of getting the resin anywhere near the car.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
9/10/12 7:15 p.m.

Well the car is currently plasti dipped so I'm not worried about messing any paint up

I believe I will be better off doing it on the car. If I get the buck off by even 1/4" I think it could really screw up how the spoiler would fit.

What's the best way to actually build the form for the spoiler part?

My best guess is to lay foam starting from the ground up to where it meets the bottom of the valance and then going about carving it out into the shape I want.

Is there a better way?

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
9/10/12 7:41 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Well the car is currently plasti dipped so I'm not worried about messing any paint up I believe I will be better off doing it on the car. If I get the buck off by even 1/4" I think it could really screw up how the spoiler would fit. What's the best way to actually build the form for the spoiler part? My best guess is to lay foam starting from the ground up to where it meets the bottom of the valance and then going about carving it out into the shape I want. Is there a better way?

Oh, I thought you were taking a mold of the original part, you are looking to make a plug that resembles the original part to make your own. Yeah, you want to make it out of foam and carve it to your shape and then coat it in body filler or drywall compound, then sand sand sand, wax and polish, wax and polish.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
9/10/12 9:49 p.m.

You might find a FOHA on one of the none USA ebay, or other auction type sites....

I was able to score a pair of Hella Dynamic Energy 2000 lamps on a auction site in northern europe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0glwVLpoaaN4hctiuWlFcgiXq1oLxHecLHUJUIBML3NAszxCFmIssJ8q7mkRXXc