1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
2/24/24 11:11 a.m.

https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/motortrend-plus-shutting-down-discovery-plus-1235921047/amp/

Looks like it's the end of the road for MT+. I'll admit, I've been an off-and-on subscriber over the years and enjoyed a few of their shows (early Roadkill, Tony on HRG, Dirt Every Day). It sucks to see another car media platform going away. 

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't remind everybody to go watch Grassroots Motorsports on YouTube. We do dumb stuff with cars, too:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt3XSoHsK4E6bPnIxTNY8cOT5K6Nfj6zU&si=TmjRM8OZmrUP-vQ4

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/24/24 11:16 a.m.

Bummer. Sounds like some people shouldn't be near a p&l sheet....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/24 11:17 a.m.

Mt+ went downhill quick over the last year.  I stopped subscribing a bit ago.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
2/24/24 11:37 a.m.

At this point, I haven't heard of any shows being canceled; they are just migrating to Discovery+.

Long term is anyone's guess, however.   I just hope the app for D+ is better than Motortrend's.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/24/24 11:41 a.m.

Roku has a free Motortrend channel if you still want to see their content, albeit with lots of ads (mostly for the Motortrend Roku channel). Weekends are non-stop Roadkill and related shows. FWIW, there's also a Top Gear channel and a few other car-related ones, included MavTV, which is showing the Trans-Am race from Sebring live at the moment.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/24/24 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

Wasn't Discovery gonna shut down?  Get absorbed by one of the other apps?

Wish these clowns would make up their minds.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
2/24/24 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to what they do there.   
People who are already on D+ are being told that their payment will be prorated for the portion of the year already used, and the rest refunded.   Those on third party apps are being told to contact the app. (go scratch)

I just loaded the D+ app and tried to see if I could log in, but no luck at this time.  According to what I was sent I will become a D+ subscriber on March 25th, but maybe some random time after that.   But the email I received yesterday was talking about how to "get started" so I gave it a shot. Then I tried logging on to MT+ on my computer to see if I was using the correct password, and was frozen on the login page for over 15 minutes before I had to reload the page and start all over and tell them how place a dinosaur right side up (TWICE!) before they finally let me in.   This is why I only watch from my Firestick in the first place.  (still very dodgy, but at least I don't have to fight the log in)

Honestly, if it wasn't for the free Hot Wheels covering over a year's worth of MT+, I would have bailed long ago.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/24/24 12:13 p.m.

Well ,  E36 M3.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/24/24 12:46 p.m.

Earlier this year they killed support for their native app to be used on Android TV. They told me I could just cast to my TV and it would be fine. I asked them that if they liked the idea of using one device to control another so much, why not use a garage door opener to control their microwave?

I asked them to disable my auto-renewal, despite having been a paying subscriber for 6 years. Instead they canceled it immediately (including the bit I'd paid for but not yet used). When I told them that was not what I requested, they told me I could re-subscribe at twice the rate I was paying before.

Goodbye, MTOD. Your quality had really started to suffer after removing Dirt Every Day and losing some of your hosts, but it was your piss-poor service and arrogance that caused me to jump ship. It's not me, it's you. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/24/24 1:32 p.m.

MotorTrend as a whole is on the downward spiral. It's not like you can take an unaffiliated group of people to the workers and end up with a finished product in just a few months unless you want absolutely E36 M3ty work done, which is 99% of ALL that's shown on hgtv and the like.... 

Unfortunately with most automotive shows, they require quite a bit more than show up, do some work, and bam it's done, which isn't easy nor "profitable" to all the shortsighted idiots pushing the buttons.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
2/24/24 1:45 p.m.

MotorTrend TV is still on channel 246 on my Dish network.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/24/24 4:08 p.m.

Robert Petersen is probably rolling over in his grave about what's happened to the publishing empire he once owned.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/24/24 4:23 p.m.

I dropped them when Garage Squad wasn't renewed. I'm not interested in an endless string of 'kustom' builds where they are gonna lose the shop in every episode.

I was thinking about doing a re-up for Roadworthy Rescues but...nah.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/24/24 4:25 p.m.

Here is where I am at and I suspect a lot of people are as well.

So I am paying for cable or internet and they dribble out some content and then say "hey we have more of that and if you just pay even more"

It always feels like they are charging you for gravy after charging you for mash potatoes..............

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/24 5:48 p.m.

I was a happy subscriber at $24 a year. Then it doubled and I was out. Can see most of it free on the channel and keep the good stuff on the DVR.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/24 5:51 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Here is where I am at and I suspect a lot of people are as well.

So I am paying for cable or internet and they dribble out some content and then say "hey we have more of that and if you just pay even more"

It always feels like they are charging you for gravy after charging you for mash potatoes..............

Agree.  All I can say is that I've found YouTube Premium to be worth every penny.  No, you won't see MT's paywalled content.  But there's so many good quality car channels, who cares?!  There's probably a dozen new ones started every day.  Some suck.  Others absolutely do not.

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/24 6:58 p.m.

I'm so lost. There's no mention of this change at all on the MTOD home page and I haven't gotten any emails from them. These mega-companies are weird. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/24/24 7:09 p.m.

I have to figure out how to cancel. Have it through Amazon, and honestly forgot till now. Time to save money. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/24/24 7:39 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I'm still pissed they canceled Dirt Every Day !!!!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/24/24 7:44 p.m.

I love full Custom Garage.  That guy is crazy creative and I enjoy watching his build/thinking process. Ian Russell is his name (I think)

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/24 9:44 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Agree.  All I can say is that I've found YouTube Premium to be worth every penny.  No, you won't see MT's paywalled content.  But there's so many good quality car channels, who cares?!  There's probably a dozen new ones started every day.  Some suck.  Others absolutely do not.

Maybe slightly off topic here, but can you give us a quick summary of what you get with YouTube Premium that makes it worthwhile? I suspect it won't be all that beneficial to me just because of the way I watch TV and the content I enjoy, but I'm a tiny bit curious.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/24 10:54 p.m.

I was super pissed when they dropped Dirt Every Day and all the Extras, but I still watch Motor Trend+ every night when I'm on the Stairmaster. It was my most watched digital thing by a long shot. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/24 10:58 p.m.

I paid full price for MotorTrend+ and always felt that I was getting my money's worth. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/24 12:30 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
A 401 CJ said:

Maybe slightly off topic here, but can you give us a quick summary of what you get with YouTube Premium that makes it worthwhile? I suspect it won't be all that beneficial to me just because of the way I watch TV and the content I enjoy, but I'm a tiny bit curious.

I always enjoyed YouTube and there is no dearth of car content.  But the ads started to become absolutely asinine in both their quantity and content.  And I know this varies by where you live (or where your IP address "thinks" you are).  But now there are none.  And I can watch uninterrupted.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/24 12:46 a.m.

This thread was an excellent reminder to cancel the renewal for my Motortrend+ subscription.  I held onto it for Roadkill for awhile but honestly can't remember the last episode I watched.  Freiburger became unwatchable for me a while ago, he's just too much of a carburetor old head for me now. I really only watched VGG's Roadworthy Rescues and some of Faster with Finnegan because I like the Cotton and Newburn dynamic.  With Youtube Premium and the rising quality of content on there I don't really use MT+ at all I last used it when I had COVID last fall and was living in the basement to avoid my pregnant wife and had exhausted my normal Youtube content stream.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bljTDVdpDr8Q5xHQgQ3KoefIgj162RX1hJFIJgxoRJSLmKXq4Hhsjuo8m6NgH8Sk