1 2 3
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/24 6:00 p.m.

If you don't want to pay for YouTube Premium, you can also get a VPN from a few different countries where YouTube doesn't advertise.  I think Albania might be one.  But there are a handful.  This way you won't see ads.  But it might be slower.  

NOHOME said:

I like that Finnegan and De Angelo have shown up on YouTube.

????

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/1/24 7:06 p.m.

When David Newburn left Finnegan's channel, his production quality dropped.  It is getting better, but yeah, I have been skipping his show unless it looks like a really interesting topic, just due to how long they are getting.  It seems like a lot of the YouTubers I watch are making their videos longer, so I wonder if the payout algorithm is pushing it.

One good thing about moving Motortrend+ shows to Discovery+ is their app runs better on my low end Fire stick.  The MT app tended to stutter and drop frames.  I did look through and see if there was anything on the app I'm interested in, and nope, just the Motortrend shows.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
4/1/24 8:06 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Killing Dirt Every Day was real sad for me.  Fred and Dave were as good as Freiburger and Finnegan with their antics and chemistry and the show was a lot more grassroots and less "produced" feeling.

Dirthead Dave (The Dirthead Shed) on Youtube is pretty good.  Dave has some good production values, decent mix of tech and entertainment, and is genuinely fun to watch. 

Fred Williams.....I try.....  I just can't get into Fred's content, not sure why.  I feel legit bad for the dude.   He is funny, good with tech, and a good storyteller but the content on his channel is not ideal.  The lack of good production kills it for me.

Finnegan's Youtube channel is meh.  I can't watch 1:15 of Finnegan derping around, if the episodes were 20 minutes I would watch every one.  

Roadkill and Roadkill garage are worth watching, get some genuine tech and genuine laughs.  But we should pour out a 40 for all the good E36 M3 we have lost.  Junkyard Gold...Dirt Every Day...is Engine Masters cancelled yet?

On the NewPipe/ReVanced discussion I had Newpipe on my tablet and I am not sure if I got a bad APK or what but it did not play nice on my decent tablet (top end Galaxy Tab).  Lotta crashing, some weird adds and missing stuff that looked like ads should have been there, etc.  ReVanced just works, as long as you are OK with patching it from time time time as Youtube comes out with new updates.  

Steve Magnante has his own youtube channel with junkyard content.  He was very ill last summer (brain infection?) so different people filled in on his channel to create content while he was in ICU.  He's recovering & making content again...https://www.youtube.com/@SteveMagnante

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
4/2/24 11:23 a.m.
Hoondavan said:
93gsxturbo said:

Killing Dirt Every Day was real sad for me.  Fred and Dave were as good as Freiburger and Finnegan with their antics and chemistry and the show was a lot more grassroots and less "produced" feeling.

Dirthead Dave (The Dirthead Shed) on Youtube is pretty good.  Dave has some good production values, decent mix of tech and entertainment, and is genuinely fun to watch. 

Fred Williams.....I try.....  I just can't get into Fred's content, not sure why.  I feel legit bad for the dude.   He is funny, good with tech, and a good storyteller but the content on his channel is not ideal.  The lack of good production kills it for me.

Finnegan's Youtube channel is meh.  I can't watch 1:15 of Finnegan derping around, if the episodes were 20 minutes I would watch every one.  

Roadkill and Roadkill garage are worth watching, get some genuine tech and genuine laughs.  But we should pour out a 40 for all the good E36 M3 we have lost.  Junkyard Gold...Dirt Every Day...is Engine Masters cancelled yet?

On the NewPipe/ReVanced discussion I had Newpipe on my tablet and I am not sure if I got a bad APK or what but it did not play nice on my decent tablet (top end Galaxy Tab).  Lotta crashing, some weird adds and missing stuff that looked like ads should have been there, etc.  ReVanced just works, as long as you are OK with patching it from time time time as Youtube comes out with new updates.  

Steve Magnante has his own youtube channel with junkyard content.  He was very ill last summer (brain infection?) so different people filled in on his channel to create content while he was in ICU.  He's recovering & making content again...https://www.youtube.com/@SteveMagnante

Is Steve making new content or just rehashing his old episodes?  I have not watched one for probably 6 months.  Tried some of his guest appearances.  As my Grandma would say, "Its the thought that counts".

Glad he is better, though.  He is a gearhead thru and thru.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/2/24 11:27 a.m.

I think the episodes Steve is posting now were recorded earlier but haven't been shown yet.  He's still undergoing rehab.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/2/24 8:00 p.m.

I enjoyed Junkyard gold I guess. Steve seems like a nice enough guy and I'm glad he's not dead.

His knowledge is encyclopedic, but so was his personality.

Dirt Everyday was one of our favorites even though off roading is something we couldn't care less about. The hosts were friendly and had great chemistry and really made the show enjoyable to watch.

HRG was generally good. I loved Tony and Lucky together. I left before the new lady showed up so... no opinion there.

Roadkill was fun, but I don't think I realized how annoying Freiburger was until I saw a few of the Finnegan/De Angelo episodes. Stop crying about Obama and put some shoes on.

I watch Tony's channel, I catch Mike's from time to time. I really don't miss MTOD.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/2/24 9:12 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

Roadkill was fun, but I don't think I realized how annoying Freiburger was until I saw a few of the Finnegan/De Angelo episodes. Stop crying about Obama and put some shoes on.

I really began to appreciate Tony's work when he did Drag Week with Finnegan.  His work ethic was epic in that series, and Mike would have never made it to the end without him.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/3/24 12:35 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

When David Newburn left Finnegan's channel, his production quality dropped.  It is getting better, but yeah, I have been skipping his show unless it looks like a really interesting topic, just due to how long they are getting.  It seems like a lot of the YouTubers I watch are making their videos longer, so I wonder if the payout algorithm is pushing it.

It's interesting if the algorithm is pushing it now, because I remember a couple years ago anything longer than 15 minutes got penalized heavily. Like, you could be subscribed to a channel and the video wouldn't show up in your subscriptions if it was thirty minutes or longer. The one channel I watched was chopping their videos up into awkwardly-segmented 10 minute videos because otherwise people weren't seeing them if they went and hunted them down. But, I noticed that Cleetus MacFarland has been releasing hour-long videos lately and he's said they've been smashing viewership records for his channel video after video.

Finnegan's channel to me is just often too long a video for no payoff. Great, I watched an hour and a half video of some expert explaining how to adjust a clutch, then the car is never run or fired up, and then next week you'll have another hour and a half video of the same expert showing how to adjust the clutch again because offscreen in between videos it chewed up another clutch. Tune in next week when we again have the same "expert" try to explain why he's back for another hour and a half video fixing the same clutch on the same car. Seriously, the amount of videos he puts out with experts working on his cars where the issue never seems to get resolved is kind of mind-blowing. At some point, stop publishing them as they happen, the condense them into a single 20 minute video explaining the various issues and resolutions.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
4/4/24 8:32 a.m.

A lot of Finnegan's content I'm just not interested in.  Many of his longer videos are just him screwing around, most of it could be condensed down with proper editing to make it far easier to watch.  Then there are the issues NickD brought up, where his stuff is constantly broken, not fixed correctly, projects not done etc.  He never seems to properly finish and test anything, then stuff breaks as a result.  For Roadkill, since it's part of their show, I get it.  For my own stuff, that would drive me crazy and it's hard for me to watch as I just don't understand it.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
4/4/24 11:43 a.m.

I still prefer content in the 20-30 min range.  To me speed academy is great at this; they have a quick introduction set the expectation and deliver on the content.  

I also really like superfastMatt and stanceworks for the length and style of the content.  I like the way they do voiceovers that walk through what they are doing, why, etc.  

I do think its funny as society continues to display shorter and shorter attention spans Youtube thinks we want longer and longer forms of content.  In reality an hour of content ends up with 30 minutes of B roll and not 2x the quality.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zWykQ3TrBLDqLCgT05u6O7e5FJlNYYFjgzIGTygHexT0L2dAtHT8X0ZZxitT0Hed