1 2 3
Brust
Brust Reader
2/7/10 3:24 p.m.

only thing I don't like about the "turbo" mufflers is that its hard to find a fully welded case.. All seem to be crimped. That said, the main muffler on the 4age 20v midget is a dynomax super turbo. It's hard to keep these things quiet and it does a decent job when combined with two resonators. Shouldn't have much trouble with the LS.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
2/7/10 7:17 p.m.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters.htm

Car is not much to look at ;- > But if you scroll down a bit you can see the exhaust system. Dan uses a chambered tube to avoid the unsightly bulges of mufflers. Could be part of a slolution.

Must be one of the cleanest MGB 302 conversions ever done

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
2/7/10 8:08 p.m.

I also read somewhere that you could drop a couple of dB by sticking a foot-long turn-down out the side of the car and aiming the exhaust at the rear tire.

Can't remember who I got it from though.....

Brust
Brust Reader
2/7/10 9:41 p.m.

Not sure Keith is going to need any help heating up the rear tires. Always wondered how those would affect tires on the track, if at all.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/10 10:46 p.m.

I've seen a rear tire get hot from an exhaust pipe aimed at it - it's an easy thing to do with a Locost if you're not paying attention when building or your turn-down falls off Not my car, someone else's!

I've spent a lot of time looking at Dan Master's build - I got a set of high-rez pictures of that car from the owner of British V8. My rear suspension takes a number of details from his. But I have no idea how the car sounds.

I think I'm going to build a system that is dual 2.5" pipes for most of the length of the car (easier to package), then join into a single 3" into a single muffler. I'll try both a Dynomax Turbo and an Aeromax to see how they sound and work, and I expect a couple of resonators might end up in there somewhere - but I have no idea where.

The most important part of this experiment is the single muffler - that tells me the fuel tank will stay in the original location, which means I can carry on with designing the fuel system right now.

Flowman
Flowman
2/8/10 9:56 a.m.

Hi all, I've worked for Flowmaster for over 19+ years and the best advice I could give anyone when it comes to buying any parts in general, not just exhaust, is...the first thing you should do is call the manufacturers directly to get the correct information on their products. Aviod the headaches and wasted $ by trying products that may work great on someone elses application/combo/taste etc, but may not be the best info for what you need for your application. Mis-application from in-correct info is the #1 enemy of any company that offers products for sale and unjustly gives them a bad rap. Flowmaster/Hushpower has a toll free tech line available from 6am-5pm pst (800) 544-4761

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/8/10 10:15 a.m.

canoe

Keith
2/8/10 10:48 a.m.

I've already spoken to the Flowmaster techs. They didn't suggest any non-Flowmaster products

Flowmaster does have the most useful website from a sound level point of view, so the tech on the phone wasn't able to add a lot of extra info due to the unusual application. For some reason, there wasn't a lot of deep knowledge on the right muffler to use on a 1998 Camaro stuck inside an MGB with the associated packaging problems.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
2/8/10 10:57 a.m.

A bit of tech here, if it is for exactly the wrong application. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=6069

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
2/8/10 12:17 p.m.

On the V8 Volvo I have been happy with the Magnaflow. Its a mild 302 with a cam to shorty headers into a 3" high flow cat then the 3" Magnaflow. Sounds good when you are on it and does not resonate in the least. It is parrallel to the rear bumper so that might help muffle the resonation.

Its been on there about ten years now and 30k miles. Still sounds good as Aussie, Dirtybird and the GRM staff can attest. I will probably have it at the Mitty if you are going to be there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/8/10 12:29 p.m.

It does sound good, really good

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/10 12:33 p.m.
ignorant wrote: canoe

LOL, I must say that he was not specifically saying to buy HIS canoe but to call all canoe manufacturers and get ignormation.

From experience I have used a pair of these one at the "hot point" on the front of the pipe and one at the end of the same pipe.

My experience was with dual 2.5" pipes merging to a 4" pipe so I used a different number. I also used a modified fart can muffler at the end of the exhaust run which was akin to reducing the 4" pipe to a 3" pipe. This car was pretty quiet considering the snotter under the hood.

I do have a better solution for you K... Add a couple of turbos.

slefain
slefain Dork
2/8/10 12:37 p.m.
Flowman wrote: Hi all, I've worked for Flowmaster for over 19+ years and the best advice I could give anyone when it comes to buying any parts in general, not just exhaust, is...the first thing you should do is call the manufacturers directly to get the correct information on their products. Aviod the headaches and wasted $ by trying products that may work great on someone elses application/combo/taste etc, but may not be the best info for what you need for your application. Mis-application from in-correct info is the #1 enemy of any company that offers products for sale and unjustly gives them a bad rap. Flowmaster/Hushpower has a toll free tech line available from 6am-5pm pst (800) 544-4761

One of the worst attempts at guerrilla marketing I've ever seen.

My recommendation: chambered pipes.

Keith
2/8/10 12:38 p.m.

I think I have a spot to put turbos! It'll preclude the use of the front wheels, but I'm sure that wouldn't be important

Do those chambered pipes really work well? Are they basically equivalent to resonators, or real mufflers?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/10 1:16 p.m.

how is Flowman's post a canoe? he didn't try to sell anything, offered a solid piece of advice and a toll-free number.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
2/8/10 1:20 p.m.

Chambered pipes work great! At reducing exhaust flow! I remember a hotrod test a few years back and they were worst than any muffler tested - easily lost more than the worst muffler by 2 or 3 times.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/10 1:54 p.m.
Keith wrote: I think I have a spot to put turbos! It'll preclude the use of the front wheels, but I'm sure that wouldn't be important Do those chambered pipes really work well? Are they basically equivalent to resonators, or real mufflers?

You are missing one spot... Two polished turbos in the rear widow... use them as defrosters!

I updated my earlier post to make my statement a little clearer. I have used cone inserts to knock some noise down, it wasn't perfect but it did help.

I really like the sound of my Flowtech Afterburner mufflers on the V8 Ranger than any other muffler I have installed.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
2/8/10 8:49 p.m.

Not what I wanted to hear about the chambered pipes since they were going to be part of my plan to do the 302 swap into the 67 GT. Most likely going to stick with my plan since it will be more of a cruiser than a screamer and who is going to miss a few ponies in such an overpowered swap!?

I just did a 4 link conversion to the rear suspension, and there is not a lot of room back there for a lot of muffler!

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
2/8/10 9:25 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Not what I wanted to hear about the chambered pipes since they were going to be part of my plan to do the 302 swap into the 67 GT. Most likely going to stick with my plan since it will be more of a cruiser than a screamer and who is going to miss a few ponies in such an overpowered swap!? I just did a 4 link conversion to the rear suspension, and there is not a lot of room back there for a lot of muffler!

Even the glasspacks did better power-wise, but they sound pretty crappy at cruise. If it were me with this situation I'd experiment with a glasspack, or other small round muffler, and a bigger resonator - those have been claimed to kill drone and mellow stuff out a bit. But hey, it's just me, and I have very little dyno type knowledge about this stuff other than what I read. Most of my stuff doesn't matter or isn't muffled when it counts.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/10 9:34 p.m.

My LS1 FC RX-7 has twin Magnaflows. They sound really nice. Here's a clip: exhaust clip

And here is some info on the exhaust set up from the builder/PO. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/10406674-post13.html

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
2/9/10 7:45 a.m.

This looks interesting (Dynomax VT)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
2/9/10 8:13 a.m.

I love the Magnaflow on the truck's LR4.

Keith
2/9/10 10:59 p.m.

I built myself a Dynomax Super Turbo out of cardboard to confirm clearance - and I think I can actually manage to fit two of these under the car! It's going to be tight, but so's everything else under this critter. I'll have to shift the gas tank over by 3" but that's actually just a matter of drilling some mounting holes. That gives me the ability to use 2.5" tubing, a quieter exhaust note and more street cred. Awesome.

There's a Magnaflow that would fit as well - actually fit a bit better, as it's about 1/2" smaller in the two shorter dimensions - but I'm more of a fan of the baffling inside the Dynomax so I'll go with it.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
2/10/10 8:34 a.m.

I don't think the cardboard will stand up to the heat, but I guess it's worth a try.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/10 9:12 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: I don't think the cardboard will stand up to the heat, but I guess it's worth a try.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Quw3RX4H0GGwwHKVZ5Q90pnxjTl610eKUitLPkqwt7tsjz89rC0784yojXHPL02x