Jamesfcwood
Jamesfcwood Associate Publisher
8/20/24 12:47 p.m.

I’m writing this sleep deprived, running on coffee and sheer stubbornness. I got home at 6 in the morning.

This past weekend, I set out on an 1800-mile journey that was equal parts exhilarating and exhausting, filled with the kinds of highs and lows that only a true gearhead can appreciate.

My destination? Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut, where …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/20/24 1:02 p.m.

I'd just like to point out that the fact that James and I have the same last name is pure coincidence. We aren't related. (As far as I know, at least.)

At any rate, a bad day playing with race cars is better than (most) any good day at the office.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/20/24 1:04 p.m.

Some people still think that JG and I are brothers. 

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
8/20/24 1:43 p.m.

Cool car and cool story, although I wish it would have ended up in victory with the RX7.  The oiling issues have me concerned since I will be doing a swap to LSX from SBC--maybe a dry sump is the answer?

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 1:56 p.m.

Hey, we’ve been there.

Some possibly helpful viewing:

rauq
rauq
8/20/24 1:56 p.m.

Motorsports doesn't get much more grassroots than this. The most important ingredient isn't the snarl of horsepower or the smell of tire rubber or the squeal of race brakes, it's indomitable spirit, which it sounds like James has in spades. I don't know if I'll ever get to be pit neighbors with you, but I always hope to be surrounded by folks like you in the paddocks. The FC will be back to fight another day for sure!

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 1:57 p.m.

And how we fit a dry-sump in our C5 Corvette Z06: Building a Dry-Sump System: Making Room for Everything | Project C5 Corvette Z06.

Jamesfcwood
8/20/24 2:07 p.m.

In reply to rauq :

I really appreciate the kind words. I've been doing this for 12 years and I'll keep doing it. I hope we get share the pits together. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/20/24 2:56 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Some people still think that JG and I are brothers. 

Wait, you're not?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/21/24 7:42 a.m.

It's all relative...you don't get the highest of highs without the lowest of lows. Now you are all set for success.  yes

I do have to ask...did this overheating issue not show up in local testing? Or was it something new?

You did test locally, right?  RIGHT!?!?

laugh

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/21/24 9:18 a.m.

Well, corporate policy is you have to blow up at least one LS before you get the key to the bathroom, so at least you don't have to go in the bushes anymore.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/21/24 9:23 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Well, corporate policy is you have to blow up at least one LS before you get the key to the bathroom, so at least you don't have to go in the bushes anymore.

As someone who has yet to blow up an LS, this is part of the reason I'm so thankful to be working at home.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/21/24 1:08 p.m.

Some days, this sport will leave you scratching your head, but often times it's more about the experience surrounding the track rather than the time on track. Looking forward to seeing you back at the races soon, James!

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
8/21/24 1:29 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Stupidly, I forgot about that article and the dry-sump build article too.  Brain fade.  There is plenty of information in the GRM files if one just lookks for it :)

Thanks for the reminder! hehe

Jamesfcwood
8/22/24 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

we didn't have time to do testing, so I rolled the dice unforuntately it didn't work. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/22/24 2:43 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
JG Pasterjak said:

As someone who has yet to blow up an LS, this is part of the reason I'm so thankful to be working at home.

Hey, policy is policy, regardless of WFH status.  

David S. Wallens
8/22/24 4:22 p.m.
DavyZ said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Stupidly, I forgot about that article and the dry-sump build article too.  Brain fade.  There is plenty of information in the GRM files if one just lookks for it :)

Thanks for the reminder! hehe

Thanks and, yes, there’s a ton of content in here–like going back 25 years. Plus you can access past issues, too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RlktGhh9goUWztXKQCM1ra28Cg6dNWVZxdgoSoCCMoMNleA6jbGvb9livInlsDFG