1 2
iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/8/12 10:03 a.m.

For some time, while watching NASCAR races on TV, it seem the some of the cars were dog tracking/crabbing on the straight. At first I thought it was just the camera angle. Nope, they really were. Turns out some teams were using a softer bushing in the left truck arm that allowed the left wheel or axle to move ahead.for rear axle steer. Apparently there was some aerodynamic advantage to doing this on the straight. Now NSCAR says there can only be 1/4" movement. Holy crap, that is tremendous.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/8/12 11:44 a.m.

Good luck tonight Hendrick drivers!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/8/12 12:42 p.m.

"Creative Rules Interpretation".

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/8/12 12:54 p.m.

Creative rules interpretation has been putting racers on the podium since the dawn of racing.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
9/8/12 1:09 p.m.

It was a lot worse in 2008 when they were offsetting the rear axle. Some cars could barely get on the scales because the right rear was hanging out so much.

BoostedBrian
BoostedBrian Dork
9/8/12 1:13 p.m.
914Driver wrote: "Creative Rules Interpretation".

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/8/12 2:05 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

That idea has Chad Knauss written all over it. And it's a brilliant envelope pusher, as usual.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
9/8/12 6:05 p.m.

Heard a discussion on the radio about skillful rear control arm mounting that caused the same thing.

Bruce

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/8/12 6:14 p.m.

Now Hendricks can't use their super soft bushing after tonite. They have to use something a little harder. Next thing,you know, NASCAR will be issuing spec bushings.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/12 6:15 p.m.

thats the type for thinking/engineering that i just can't come up with. Will I forever be this dumb?

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
9/8/12 7:14 p.m.

Chad's greatest invention was the hinged rear window that got him kicked out of Daytona.

Will
Will Dork
9/8/12 7:52 p.m.

Cleverest (recent) NASCAR rule-bending I heard was the team that glued washers under the roof flaps at Talladega. Doing so kept the air off the rear spoiler.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/8/12 8:05 p.m.
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/8/12 8:24 p.m.

That's pretty interesting. There have been many incremental sneaky rule bending things like this over the years, this shows there is still plenty of development available.

I still like the best cheat of all time: how Ford designed the GT40 radiator openings to create downforce without having an illegal 'wing'. If you look at Ferraris etc of the time, that was a MASSIVE advantage and well hidden.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/8/12 8:37 p.m.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/07/12/smokey.yunick.crew.chiefs/story_single.html

My fav...

... And then there's the most famous Yunick story ever, the one where inspectors pulled the gas tank from one of his racecars, and he still drove it back to his garage.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/12 9:03 p.m.
BoostedBrian wrote:
914Driver wrote: "Creative Rules Interpretation".

Read this.

http://www.circletrack.com/ultimateracing/ctrp_0801_smokey_yunick/viewall.html

This man didn't read the book to see what was in it, he read the book to see what wasn't.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/8/12 9:11 p.m.

they also hang the bodies differently for different tracks.. they put them on straighter for the super speedways to reduce drag, and a bit more "sideways" for the shorter tracks to have the air on the outside of the car "push" the front of the car around the corners.

NASCAR put limits on how far the bodies can be mounted off the centerline of the car and how crooked they can be, but some teams always push the envelope.. if you wonder which teams might be doing stuff like that, just look at who wins the races week after week and who doesn't... it's the teams that are winning that are pushing the envelope..

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
9/8/12 10:36 p.m.
they also hang the bodies differently for different tracks.. they put them on straighter for the super speedways to reduce drag, and a bit more "sideways" for the shorter tracks to have the air on the outside of the car "push" the front of the car around the corners.

Holy E36 M3. That's cool.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
9/8/12 11:04 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:

The old cars were amazing to look at. Look at the front of a downforce car vs. a restrictor plate car:

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/9/12 12:03 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:

yeah, but they're still just a bunch of rednecks racing their ancient buggies in circles..

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
9/9/12 9:41 a.m.

But, they are getting paid to race.
(for most of us, the cash flows in the opposite direction)

Any questions?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/9/12 11:29 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: yeah, but they're still just a bunch of rednecks racing their ancient buggies in circles..

Yep, there is nothing hard about having a winning car in stockcar racing...

erohslc wrote: But, they are getting *paid* to race. (for most of us, the cash flows in the opposite direction) Any questions?

Even at your local circle track they have payouts, although it doesn't typically cover the cost of a set of tires. But hey, entry fees are $25 for a pit pass and your good to go racing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/12 12:59 p.m.

I have an ex-COT wing on my Miata. When I got it, there was a Gurney flap on one of the end plates. I'm guessing it was for just a tiny little bit of side force in the endless left turns. Cool.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/9/12 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

didn't know they were allowed the Gurney

but yea, makes sense, cool

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/12 3:28 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: That's pretty interesting. There have been many incremental sneaky rule bending things like this over the years, this shows there is still plenty of development available. I still like the best cheat of all time: how Ford designed the GT40 radiator openings to create downforce without having an illegal 'wing'. If you look at Ferraris etc of the time, that was a MASSIVE advantage and well hidden.

Didn't really work though, the front ends would still lift at top speed on the Mulsane and the drivers could turn the wheel without any reaction from the car until they backed out of it.

The brakes were also only good for one stop from top speed per lap. By the time they came back around, the brakes would be cool enough to stop at the end of the front straight.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3qgn8VaQi17BkGcCEiesWF9vpq5bdludgVhGIPtQPieHsfYWXOV5JeILnRDTy5Oh