1 2
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 5:16 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

That's true, but the OP's car is in the range of a SuperMiata competitor (I guess it's called SuperSpec Racing now) and they use stock brakes.

When looking to a race series for implications about part suitability, always check the rule book.  SuperSpec Racing (or whatever it is) cars use OEM brakes because OEM brakes are required by the rules.  That doesn't mean it's the best (or even necessarily a decent) choice, just that the organizers didn't want aftermarket brakes in their series.

One of the less expensive Miata BBKs out there will deliver less unsprung weight, better pad life, better pedal feel, less knockback, a caliper that isn't prone to sticking, and a lot more pad compound choices.  Probably also cheaper pads, although that depends a bit on your choice of caliper.

I would put a BBK in the "not required but highly recommended" category for an ST5 car.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
8/5/24 6:02 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

"Will I be able to use my current calipers as long as I do a pad and rotor upgrade, or even with 3in brake ducts will I need to upgrade to sport calipers to prevent brake fade?"

This was OP's original question that I was answering. I run BBK on several of my Miata, but the math doesn't always work out and they are far from a requirement at this power level. I'd say OPs money is better spent on tires and seat time, but that's just my .02 and it's a stretch to say it's even worth that much.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/24 6:09 p.m.

FYI, the Sport calipers are basically the same as the earlier ones. They just have slightly larger piston bores and sit on a different bracket. More importantly, they have a larger diameter rotor. They definitely aren't the best choice from a pad availability/cost standpoint.

I'm of the "give it good pads and fluid and see" mindset. That's some good brake ducting, so it's unlikely a car of this power and weight will need anything too exotic in the braking department unless it's raced at a track like HPR with high braking needs and low air density. I think sorting out the brake balance is going to be more important. 

conall
conall New Reader
10/9/24 8:48 a.m.

I didn't want to start another thread to ask this, since it's related to the topic:

If I install brake cooling ducts for track days on my  Camaro, will the this cause the brakes to be too cool for safe daily driving?

I have the Wilwood brakes that come standard on a 2019 LT Camaro.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 9:52 a.m.

If your pads are intended to work well from a cold stop - no problem. They'll be pretty close to ambient temp after a freeway drive with or without ducting. You can't really get them any cooler than that :)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
10/9/24 12:45 p.m.

In reply to conall :

+1 to what Keith said, but you can also just block the ducts for street driving.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 1:31 p.m.

The only problem brake ducting could cause would be making the brakes too cool for break-in, that's the most likely scenario when you'd have to block the ducts. If you use scoop-type ducts that can't be taped off that could be an issue, but I haven't had any problems breaking in dual-use pads with cooling scoops so far.

conall
conall New Reader
10/9/24 7:21 p.m.

Thank you for all of the helpful responses.

I actually already have some Flying Miata scoops for 3" ducts.

I'm looking at the Singulär NACA ducts and hose.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0BPjC0o0l3HR33aRJJqk7PEAWGqYTYtlZgya8j6uwstEKi9QgCmEdmE668MKtaoV