joppelaar
joppelaar New Reader
10/2/24 12:05 p.m.

Anybody have opinions of the roof attachment bar from ZerekFab (out of Anaheim CA)? Not going to meet any race-scrutineering requirements (and to be fair, ZerekFab call that out clearly) - but I'm more interested for overall chassis stiffness, without too much sacrifice of road-driveability (my car is 80% street, 20% track-day/autox).

I hadn't seen a product like this out for the Miata but I was intrigued, since could be a simple way to solve the "two bricks connected with a playing card" problem (to quote Clarkson) that all convertibles suffer. So, I wondered if you guys had experience with it - or if you just have strong rollcage/chassis kung fu, what you think of the concept.

For background, my car already has a lot of chassis stiffening goodies (Paco strong arms, FM V2 butterfly brace, Hard Dog M2 roll bar) and it's an NB2 so the least floppy of the 90-05s from the factory. Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/24 12:19 p.m.

I'm assuming it attaches to the old mirror mounting points, used for a light on the later cars. I wonder just how stiff a connection point that is, if this can actually make a difference. Seam-welding the seams in the door opening can have an effect on cowl shake with no effect on the interior, given the choice I'd rather do that.

joppelaar
joppelaar New Reader
10/2/24 1:41 p.m.

Thanks a lot, Keith - that was my fear as well. I was thinking I would want to at least weld a gusseted spreader plate at the front mounting point to give it more strength and spread the load. But that kind of defeats the purpose of a "bolt-in" solution...

Regarding seam-welding, are you aware of any detailed guides for that process (specifically where/how to weld)? Perhaps you'd like to write one? Miata Performance Projects Part Two?

Thanks again

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/24 2:05 p.m.

In reply to joppelaar :

It's already in How To Build a High Performance Miata and has been on the FM website for a while :)

https://help.flyinmiata.com/en_us/lots-of-pain-a-little-gain-BkYvAnA3s

Note that the spot welder is a nice to have, you can also lay down a bead along the top of the seam. Since it's all hidden once reassembled, that's okay.

joppelaar
joppelaar New Reader
10/2/24 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Well of course it is, hahah - thank you Keith! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RSbN5hZhmeDz7XEUrig6VpY5dKoMtv2uReo4uZjkjH6DCzUzH0kmEMgLe30iSR9S