1 2
toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
12/22/09 8:59 p.m.

I don't know if I'm excited or not. I'm a fan of Road America and live only an hour away, but not too fond of the NASCAR. Regardless it's road racing and turn 5 should be fun to watch.

toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
12/22/09 8:59 p.m.

In reply to toad9977:

Heres the link to the article-
http://roadamerica.com/FanInformation/NewsDetails.asp#NASCAR

junkbuggie
junkbuggie New Reader
12/22/09 9:05 p.m.

sweet! I like seeing how well they drive when the turns go both ways. I think NASCAR gets a bad rap some of those drivers are awsome.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/22/09 9:56 p.m.

I don't think it is the drivers that have a bad rap. It is the series in general. Fixed races, immaginary cautions, boogity boogity boogity, and berkeleying digger have drug that sport lower than it should be.

That being said, NASCAR at RA is EPIC. that track deserves nothing less than thundering V8s. (though it also deserves F1...)

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/09 10:05 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: (though it also deserves F1...)

That is my dream. However, local accommodations are less-than-stellar, and they don't have the requisite 12-team paddock setup to F1 specs.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/22/09 10:14 p.m.

I know, I know, its a pipe dream that will never happen.

(maybe if I ever become a multi brazillionaire, I will build a few 5 star hotels in downtown Elkhart Lake, and update the facilities at the track. (plus a few brazillion to line Bernie's pockets))

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/22/09 10:22 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: However, local accommodations are less-than-stellar, and they don't have the requisite 12-team paddock setup to F1 specs.

Seibken's is THE place to go, but wouldn't accomodate a single team's entourage. There was a day when the F1 circus would have considered RA as the equal to any track on the schedule even with a gravel paddock.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
12/22/09 10:52 p.m.

it's not the Nextel/Sprint/Cell Phone Service Nascar cup, it's the smaller nationwide cars that aren't running the stupid new chassis that look like bricks with front and rear wings/splitters.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/23/09 12:40 a.m.

Any chance to see nascar go right is fine with me. But as I have said before, I wana see road-coarse Cup cars do the 'Ring, that would be crazy.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
12/23/09 1:56 a.m.

Nascar? All the cars are alike, no innovation, I stopped watching years ago.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
12/23/09 7:13 a.m.

not a big fan of nascar either but i bet RA will appreciate the infusion of cash this circus brings with it

moTthediesel
moTthediesel New Reader
12/23/09 7:19 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Any chance to see nascar go right is fine with me. But as I have said before, I wana see road-coarse Cup cars do the 'Ring, that would be crazy.

The Ring???

Fat chance of that, those limp schwantzs won't even do the Boot at the Glen --

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
12/23/09 7:46 a.m.

The linked article does mention that NASCAR ran there in 1956...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 9:07 a.m.

I'd think that show would be pretty hot. Monster V8's. Some serious driving talent as the drivers know how to race. They're also not afraid to "rub" a little which would add a new wrinkle to the typical road race.

One thing I recall when talking about NASCAR cars going to a road course is how blistering fast those things are at any of the track days I've gone to. They're usually the loudest too.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 9:08 a.m.
moTthediesel wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Any chance to see nascar go right is fine with me. But as I have said before, I wana see road-coarse Cup cars do the 'Ring, that would be crazy.
The Ring??? Fat chance of that, those limp schwantzs won't even do the Boot at the Glen --

No point in going to The Ring. No profit there. Crowd would be smaller. Why pay that much to put on an event that the faithful fan can't even attend?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/23/09 9:16 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: I know, I know, its a pipe dream that will never happen. (maybe if I ever become a multi brazillionaire, I will build a few 5 star hotels in downtown Elkhart Lake, and update the facilities at the track. (plus a few brazillion to line Bernie's pockets))

Don't do it! Elkhart lake is a great place, filled with some of the nicest people in the U.S. I'd hate to see the F1 circus build it up (just before leaving) and ruin it. There are first class accommodations nearby (Kohler), but they don't have the volume needed to host a fancypants F1 race.

Sorry, I haven't been a fan of the F1 soap opera for a long long time.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
12/23/09 9:48 a.m.

In reply to plance1: Hmmm, so all the cars are alike? Sounds like a spec series. So that means success comes down to car preparation, race strategy, team execution, and driver skill? WHAT A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/09 9:59 a.m.
erohslc wrote: In reply to plance1: Hmmm, so all the cars are alike? Sounds like a spec series. So that means success comes down to car preparation, race strategy, team execution, and driver skill? WHAT A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!

Mr.Shore is right. I like the version of the sport just like I like Spec Miata. Too bad you couldn't put 225,000 people in the seats for a Spec Miata race.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
12/23/09 10:00 a.m.

Spec, partly. Four antique V8's. Different applique on the front. I enjoy watching them at Lime Rock. Regardless of the cars, these guys put on a show that is fun to watch.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
12/23/09 10:46 a.m.

i watched some of the historic nascars down here at Daytona run the infield and they were impressive. Maybe thats what nasacar should do for July 4th instead of the same track they run for the 500.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
12/23/09 10:54 a.m.

I was at RA in '92 with the Company I worked for, meeting all kinds of Mustang/SVO/Steeda/Saleen people.

Stayed at Seibken's. Was at the bar, an older gentlemen came by, sat down...had a drink..then 3...then shots of Jaeger with him and his daughter.Night was a blur.

Went (staggered) down the next morning to check out...turns out our bill had been reduced by half...and it was the Owner and his daughter that had shown us a good time.

Great place, great people. I wouldn't change a thing unless it was to have coke machines instead of pepsi.

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
12/23/09 11:38 a.m.

I know it's "only" the Nationwide series, but you just KNOW guys like Max Papis, Juan Montoya, Marcos Ambrose & a few For-Hire guys would LOVE to come tear up RA! The Kink is one of the most amazing things in motorsports...and muscling those cars around that track is going to be brilliant.

If we're lucky, it'll be wet & they'll run the rain tires too.

Argue all you want about NASCAR on road courses, but the simple fact is that the road course races have been the most fun races they've had in recent history.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/23/09 12:45 p.m.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/09 1:08 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Spec, partly. Four antique V8's. Different applique on the front. I enjoy watching them at Lime Rock. Regardless of the cars, these guys put on a show that is fun to watch.

They're modern engines, with some required antique specs. There's probably no powerplant as highly evolved as a NASCAR engine.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
12/23/09 1:18 p.m.
erohslc wrote: In reply to plance1: Hmmm, so all the cars are alike? Sounds like a spec series. So that means success comes down to car preparation, race strategy, team execution, and driver skill? WHAT A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!

You forgot "whatever cheating you can get away with."

Seriously, just how much corporate nonsense exists in Spec Miata?

Sorry, Spec Miata is great for the same reason NASCAR used to be great: Your average everyday Joe Schmo, (and believe me I'm pure Schmo) could easily imagine himself on the race course with an actual car he could buy with minimal dollar investment. That connection to the fans has long since vanished with NASCAR, spec miata will lose it to if you start putting grill and headlight decals on your car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XauPD64CVuMvz7006kySqXpzzHNoHK9yqXQrpdmwMzFwoIJQUEcKs7eRmAmfIebV