Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/12 9:46 a.m.

I've got a boat trailer with a solid layer of surface rust on it. I started to attack it using the grinder, and it was working well on the flat areas, but there are quite a few spots (round bits, in the corners of the angles of the steel) where the grinder won't work.

I'm going to have the same problem on the frame of the pickup I am getting.

So, instead of using the grinder over the course of 12 hours, I was thinking of using naval jelly on them and hitting it with Rustoleum primer and paint.

The only concern I have with this is that I have well water, and I'd be rinsing/wiping/scraping all of the crap onto the ground. I have typical NC clay soil, and the well is probably 50 feet from where I'd be working.

Am I being paranoid or is using Naval Jelly just a bad idea?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/12 9:48 a.m.

I guess its better than Navy Seamen.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/3/12 10:10 a.m.

How detailed do you want to get with it?

The best stuff I have found is POR-15. You can paint straight over rust or lightly sand then paint. If forms a very hard protective coat and is really effective.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
8/3/12 10:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: The only concern I have with this is that I have well water, and I'd be rinsing/wiping/scraping all of the crap onto the ground. I have typical NC clay soil, and the well is probably 50 feet from where I'd be working. Am I being paranoid or is using Naval Jelly just a bad idea?

If you're worried about the acid contaminating the groundwater, you could buy an industrial sized bag of baking soda from Harbor Freight and dump it all on the ground under the trailer where you get the scraped off stuff on the ground.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/3/12 11:17 a.m.

I've used a product that converts the rust to a protective coating and doesn't require you to wash it off.

I don't have any at the moment to check, but I believe it was called something like Rust Converter and I found it at several auto stores as well as Lowes.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
8/3/12 11:32 a.m.

I prefer Navy Peanut Butter.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
8/3/12 11:34 a.m.

I find naval jelly to be weak stuff. It wont take off scale or perform any miracles like that.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
8/3/12 11:41 a.m.

Unless an industrial strength version exists, I can't imagine that naval jelly would be all that effective against heavy rust. I used it to clean up the heater box on my '66 Chevy II and I was underwhelmed at its performance. Several applications were required just to get off some light surface rust.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/12 1:07 p.m.

Yeah Naval Jelly is just for the lightest surface rust, if this rust has any thickness to it you'll need something else.

To get to the corners maybe try a dremel wire wheel and finish up with sandpaper?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/12 2:32 p.m.

POR 15 is your friend here...

And I do not have any Naval Jelly.. I wash my belly button daily

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
8/3/12 2:47 p.m.

Naval jelly is useless. Electrolysis works very well. People have done whole vehicle frames.

Most of the time the outside of the brackets were facing the other electrode. The inside I had wire brushed and ground prior to electrolysis. The outside I didn't touch. These both looked like the bracket on the right. The electrolysis left the former rust quite loosened, so it was easy to wire brush off. These are ready for primer and paint. The white coating on the left bracket is leftover from last year's overnight Naval Jelly treatment.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
8/3/12 5:11 p.m.

I used naval jelly years ago on a rusty toyota because it won't eat painted surfaces.....much. You can get through thick rust with it, but it takes successive applications.

As chemist, one word of caution with the baking soda - don't put it down before working. If you get WAY too much soda down, you will have alkalinity (high pH) problems that can be as bad as the acid issues. If you're concerned, mix up baking soda and water in an old milk jug and pour it over the NJ drippings AFTER you finish. Keep pouring more on until it doesn't fizz anymore, then add a little more . That should put you just on the high side of neutral pH wise.

In any case, the stuff is just phosphoric acid IIRC and shouldn't cause any major ecological disaster, even in your well. Phosphorous is banned in surfactants (soaps) because it encourages algae growth to the point of choking the fishies. Phosphoric acid is also found in most Cola drinks in good quantity as well.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/3/12 5:15 p.m.

Naval Jelly Bean

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/3/12 7:36 p.m.

If you're planning on using Rustoleum primer, don't bother stripping the metal down.

Get the rusty metal primer in the brush type can. Now mix it about 50/50 with acetone and brush it right on the rusty metal. It soaks in wonderfully, and outlasts almost anything else I've ever seen.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/3/12 9:03 p.m.

You do not want to use a grinding wheel on the 4" grinder; you want a wire wheel. Get both the cup and wheel type.

I use them A LOT of wire wheels in my battles with english car restoration: both electric and air driven tools. I put them in the semi-dangerous category of use in that you want to be hanging on to the damn grinder the whole time. The air dirven stuff is a bit safer in that the torque is less.

Wear eye protection for sure cause they fling stuff about.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
8/3/12 10:36 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I guess its better than Navy Seamen.

Or belly button lint...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/3/12 11:21 p.m.

knotted/twisted wire wheels don't seem to fling as many wires at ya...

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/3/12 11:59 p.m.

I'll suggest scraping/ wire brushing big rust lumps off then applying muriatic acid w/ brush (but y'all prolly don't wanna hear it), catch runoff w/ plastic mortar pan. Rinse well w/ water, it will neutralize the acid.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/12 1:52 a.m.

Naval Jelly is junk. I've tried it a dozen times and it failed a dozen times.

HF sells a bucket and hose with a nozzle. They call it a media blaster. Buy it for $35, fill it with baking soda or playground sand, hook up your compressor, and make the magic happen. Sanding or grinding takes off the surface rust, but the FeO2 and Fe2O3 still lives in the pits and pores. Blasting with small media is the best you can do. Blasting a whole trailer with this bucket will be tedious, but you only need to hit the rust parts. Wash with water, prime with etching primer, paint with whatever. Done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

I used this exact tool with baking soda to blast an aluminum scuba tank that I found at the bottom of the ocean. It was crusty. It turned out looking like a million bucks and I was able to polish it with only two grades of rouge.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/12 7:41 a.m.
Matthew Huizing wrote: Naval jelly is useless. Electrolysis works very well. People have done whole vehicle frames. Most of the time the outside of the brackets were facing the other electrode. The inside I had wire brushed and ground prior to electrolysis. The outside I didn't touch. These both looked like the bracket on the right. The electrolysis left the former rust quite loosened, so it was easy to wire brush off. These are ready for primer and paint. The white coating on the left bracket is leftover from last year's overnight Naval Jelly treatment.

Any more details on this? Or a How To page I can go look at?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/12 8:53 a.m.

Don't know how it compares to Por 15 ,but I use a JC Whitney product E.R.F (ends rust forever), about $40 a quart, thin like water, and brushes on. It is damaged by UV rays, so must have a finish coat on top. I've been brushing, or rolling it on, then doing the same with Rustoleum naptha based paint from Lowes. I lightly wire weeeled a surface rusted floorboard, brushed on ERF, sprayed shake and shoot, and 5 years later, no signs of it returning.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/12 10:30 a.m.

Dean

I followed these instructions and yes it works very well. I used 20 Mule Team Borax and an old shovel head. Just be sure and triple check how you have to charger hooked up.

remove rust by electrolysis

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/12 2:23 p.m.

Thanks for the replies. I was on vacation or I would've said thank you sooner.

I guess I'll just attack it with the wire brush and some thinned Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

B

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bfPxr8AEg81PNt7bm96mGUGTNExo91GPS3Y6LaO2DFQND64y8oJ0ejnSaemQn84G