ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/21/14 4:15 p.m.

Have a line on a cheap 06 Miata with just over 100k. Brakes, tires, top all in good shape. Needs a few odds and ends and a good cleanup. Say I could snag it near $4k, would there any meat on the bone? Would I have to wait until Spring to optimize profits?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/14 4:21 p.m.

Don't know if there is enough headroom for you to flip it, but I'd definitely wait until spring to sell it. You're leaving money on the table otherwise.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
12/21/14 4:29 p.m.

Definitely best off waiting until spring. I don't know about your area, but $4k is thousands cheaper than I've ever seen an NC...

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/21/14 4:30 p.m.

$4,000 is cheap, do it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/14 4:32 p.m.

Yeah, around here that would be a superb price, especially for one that's not an automatic.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
12/21/14 4:35 p.m.

I've seen high mile autos for like 8-9 and I thought that was cheap

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/21/14 6:21 p.m.

I'm a little conflicted on what to do. It's an excellent price. I could probably be all in for $5k including tag taxes title and piddly fixes. I know I could clear around $2500 to $3000 sweet profit. That could pay off the last of some unexpected bills that we had this summer.

On the flip side, I could be sitting on it for a long time and my credit card would be financing this whole ordeal.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/21/14 6:32 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: my credit card would be financing this whole ordeal.

This is the only thing that gives me pause. Anything you're trying to flip pretty much requires that you be able to hold it until the buyer comes along that allows you to clear a profit. If you could comfortably do it in cash, I'd say go for it. On credit it seems a little sketchy. On a credit card, even sketchier.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/21/14 6:44 p.m.

After two bad experiences I only flip cars that I would be happy to own/drive in the meantime. I did not enjoy the anxiety of having funds tied up in something that I had no desire to be stuck with.

If you would enjoy driving the car, or have ample room to store it until spring have at it.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/21/14 9:43 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: On the flip side, I could be sitting on it for a long time and my credit card would be financing this whole ordeal.

I would only do it if I was a gambling man, it's a risk.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/21/14 11:01 p.m.

i don't see why a Miata wouldn't be good for flipping..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45H1pUXQXos

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/22/14 5:33 a.m.

Clean examples around here fetch about twice that all day. Question is why is this one so cheap?

As with all things flipping...you make your money when you buy. Any work you do should only be considered as advertizing or market appeal; it has to be undervalued as you bough it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/14 6:57 a.m.

I would never flip a car on a credit card.

If you had the cash, then yeah it sounds like a good deal if the car is as good as you say.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/22/14 8:42 a.m.

I think around here, you'd struggle to get $7k for it unless you were cool with sitting on it for awhile, which i don't think would be fun if it's funded via credit card.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/22/14 8:55 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I think around here, you'd struggle to get $7k for it unless you were cool with sitting on it for awhile, which i don't think would be fun if it's funded via credit card.

It's red. You should buy it.

Agree with all of you. I get this sinking feeling deep in my stomach when I think about sitting on a car that is racking up interest. It could turn into a disaster.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/22/14 9:04 a.m.

Ugh.... red NC1 sounds like my worst nightmare. Two things i hate, all rolled into one!

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/23/14 11:57 a.m.

I decided to pass, but maybe one of you guys would be interested.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4806074708.html

This is the ad. Seems like a decent human being on the other side of the phone. Hope one of you buys it instead.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/24/14 7:25 a.m.

Damn too bad it's on the opposite north end of the country from me. If you really could get it for the 4k you say, that would be a steal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QG7WyWXz89NNboQ2hsLh10PEOS4p1y4teONPO3Jcwm4hVXylzHk1FMDdV4N88CSF