1 2
chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/29/13 2:19 p.m.

Any reason not to buy a Bell M-4?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/13 2:44 p.m.

I just went through the same thing and bought an HJC AR10 II. As long as it's SA2010 you're golden. Just make sure you know what your size is; if you're not sure, try on motorcycle helmets locally then order based on that.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/13 2:49 p.m.

I also have the AR10 II, love it!

kylini
kylini New Reader
5/29/13 2:56 p.m.

I have an AR10 II and the interior padding deteriorated within 8 months. HJC wanted to sell me replacement padding and wasn't interested in looking into the problem or doing anything warranty-related.

Stuff breaks down and I can understand their perspective (whodathunk that wearing a helmet results in wear!) but the premature wear rate and the non-response from HJC means I won't buy their helmets again.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/13 3:05 p.m.
chuckles wrote: Any reason not to buy a Bell M-4?

I am very happy with mine.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
5/29/13 3:32 p.m.

Now that Michelle is autocrossing the GSR, I won't be able to steal her sweet Shoei. So, I'm in the market as well.

Not to threadjack, but if we're talking helmets....

Whattaya guys think about the Simpson Classic Voyager? I like the big 'ol eyeport, plus the price is tolerable.

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-classic-voyager-sa2010-racing-helmet

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
5/29/13 4:35 p.m.

Because the SCCA strictly forbids motorcycle helmets, and therefore so will some organizations that follow SCCA rules. If the M-4 isn't a motorcycle helmet, then we can continue with our regularly scheduled programming.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/29/13 4:43 p.m.
tr8todd wrote: Because the SCCA strictly forbids motorcycle helmets, and therefore so will some organizations that follow SCCA rules.

This only applies to Time Trial Level 3, Time Trial Level 4, and Club Racing...Basically anything that also requires a full driving suit, window nets and/or arm restraints, and rollover protection in all cars. However SCCA specifically allows motorcycle helmets in Solo, Time Trial Level 1, and Time Trial Level 2. So if any typical "track day" doesn't allow M rated helmets, it has absolutely nothing to do with SCCA requirements. Subsequently, every open track event I have previously attended, SCCA sanctioned or not, has specifically allowed M rated helmets...That being said, I still chose to use an SA rated helmet.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/29/13 4:52 p.m.

It's 380 dollars.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/29/13 5:15 p.m.

I have used the Simpson Voyagers for years.

A helmet can get an M rating just from the lining material. Found that out the hard way.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/29/13 5:29 p.m.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but in years past Bell would mail you a special tape to measure your head with. I still have one or two somewhere in my hoarded junk.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/29/13 5:37 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
tr8todd wrote: Because the SCCA strictly forbids motorcycle helmets, and therefore so will some organizations that follow SCCA rules.
This only applies to Time Trial Level 3, Time Trial Level 4, and Club Racing...Basically anything that also requires a full driving suit, window nets or arm restraints, and rollover protection in all cars. However SCCA specifically allows motorcycle helmets in Solo, Time Trial Level 1, and Time Trial Level 2. So if any typical "track day" doesn't allow M rated helmets, it has absolutely nothing to do with SCCA requirements. Subsequently, every open track event I have previously attended, SCCA sanctioned or not, has specifically allowed M rated helmets...That being said, I still chose to use an SA rated helmet.

M rated helmets are ok for SCCA rallycross as well, as long as they are 2000 or up

NGTD
NGTD Dork
5/29/13 6:29 p.m.

I bought a G-Force SA2005 a few years ago. It was under $200.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/13 6:48 p.m.

Note that "M4" is a model of Bell Helmet, one which carries a Snell SA2010 rating. It is not a motorcycle helmet.

http://www.bellracing.com/helmets/racer-series/m-4

The Sport and the M4 are the most common inexpensive Bell auto helmets that I see. Protection levels should be equivalent (they're both SA2010), but the Sport is $100 cheaper and a bit heavier (IIRC it's about a pound difference in weight). I think the M4 also has a slightly larger eyeport. IIRC, the weight difference comes from using fiberglass in the sport and kevlar in the M4.

So no, there's no reason not to buy the M4 if you want/need an SA2010 helmet, are willing to pay $100 more to get a somewhat lighter helmet, and you've tried it on for 15 minutes and are confident it fits your head. :)

I have a Sport 3 (the SA2005 version), because at the time the difference in price was larger and the extra weight didn't seem worth it.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
5/29/13 11:00 p.m.

Don't know if it's the case anymore, but I think that the M4 used to be hat sized, so many people got a better fit. That may be the M4 Pro though. Sorry, it's been too many years. Oh, and you shouldn't buy one if they aren't comfortable. Trying on motorcycle helmets may result in your getting one way too large, I would have guys come in on bikes, with small heads and say that they need an XXL, sinec that is what their bike helmet is. At best they were a Bell medium. Yes, the conversion is much worse than buying a different brand of pants.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
5/30/13 12:47 a.m.

I always recommend trying them on before buying. Everyone has a different shaped head so what works for one may be uncomfortable for another.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/13 12:54 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I always recommend trying them on before buying. Everyone has a different shaped head so what works for one may be uncomfortable for another.

Not just trying it on, you want to wear it around the store for 15 minutes to look for pressure points. Maybe not such a big deal if it's just for autocrossing, but if you're going to wear it for 30+ minutes at a time at a track day or road racing, those pressure points will turn into a headache fast.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/30/13 8:28 a.m.
Aeromoto wrote: I'm not sure if they still do it, but in years past Bell would mail you a special tape to measure your head with. I still have one or two somewhere in my hoarded junk.

Most wives have a similar tape. all you need is a conversion chart.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/13 10:14 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
It's 380 dollars.

It's your HEAD...

motomoron
motomoron Dork
5/30/13 2:55 p.m.

I've got an M4 pro, Snell 2005, bought in 2009 or so.

The Nomex lining on the collar is worn completely through where it sits on the harnesses atop the HANS. I called Bell and they were of precisely zero assistance, and were actually sort of pricks.

I was surprised. I've used their helmets for decades, and said as much

It's the last one I'll own. As I'm a committed racer now I'll drop the $$ and buy an Arai next time...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/30/13 3:01 p.m.
noddaz wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote:
It's 380 dollars.
It's your HEAD...

With equal Snell ratings impact protection will be the same. Money typically buys weight savings and comfort features. This can equal less distraction.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/13 3:09 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I have used the Simpson Voyagers for years. A helmet can get an M rating just from the lining material. Found that out the hard way.

This^^^^

Great helmet. Just make sure you get a SA rated one. I am getting another this year as mine has aged out again. This will be my 3rd. I really like the large eye opening and they fit my head really well.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
5/30/13 9:51 p.m.

You may prefer an open face helmet, particularly if you're driving with an instructor.

I race in one, too. This one: http://www.saferacer.com/arai-gp-jet-sa2010-helmet

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
5/30/13 10:00 p.m.

Buy it if it fits comfortably. The M4 didn't fit me well (and I've always worn Bell helmets), but the Sport fit me perfectly. So I saved $100 and got a better fit. Helmets all have different shapes and depths, so don't buy one until you try it on (and a few other comparable models).

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
5/30/13 10:03 p.m.
codrus wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: I always recommend trying them on before buying. Everyone has a different shaped head so what works for one may be uncomfortable for another.
Not just trying it on, you want to wear it around the store for 15 minutes to look for pressure points.

Also, wear it with your nomex hoodie if you plan to wear one on track. The seams and such can overlap with the helmet liner pressure points and make for a very uncomfortable fit after 10 or 15 minutes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKgGiwLOOfZ8SacCCwreyzXRhLk6IJicaGrESNLZfEI74PbyONti1UGDnkkjulUI