Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/22 7:47 p.m.

Wondering what the thickness is of the knuckle/upright is where the struts bolt in on a 2nd/3rd generation car.  I haven't owned one for a long time else I'd get the measurement myself.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/25/22 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I measured the inside width of a Bilstein strut  mount and got 27mm. The strut was from a 1987 GTI I used to have.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/25/22 9:25 p.m.

The early mk2 spindles I have handy tape measure out at almost an inch even. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/27/22 5:52 p.m.

Neat! Perfect.  What is the bolt center to center, if I may bug you all some more?

I need shorter struts for my WRX suspension and Bilstein HDs are still available for these cars, and the compressed/extended lengths are perfect.  If the center-center distance is close enough, I may be able to use them without grinding the ears off and making new ones, which makes life a lot easier.

Subaru and Mazda are both 25mm, as I learned when I put Subaru strut bodies on my RX-7.  THAT needed different ears, but I made them out of two sets of Subaru ears.  Once you cut the weld off the bottom they slide right off.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/27/22 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

62mm....not much latitude to make that much longer, shorter certainly doable. The VW Bilsteins are an inverted shock so you could remove the lower bracket from the shock body and weld on anything you want. Now I'm curious about what you're trying to do.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/28/22 11:32 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Yes, part of the joy is being able to disassemble the strut so I can weld on it without it exploding in my face, but if the ears are right, I won't even need to.

Here's that modded Subaru strut for my Mazda, next to a stock Mazda strut.

I am trying to make a Subaru suspension two inches shorter, so gotta play with struts.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/29/22 12:08 p.m.

WRX are 62mm in the front.

I love it when a plan comes together...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/29/22 1:43 p.m.

Are you trying to lower the car without diminishing the stroke?

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/29/22 2:05 p.m.

Sort of.  I am putting the suspension in a car with a significantly lower hoodline.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/29/22 2:24 p.m.

Golf struts, with Subaru uprights and cross member (??) in an R53 MINI Cooper..........will the rear wheels of this hybrid be powered by chance?

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/29/22 2:39 p.m.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/29/22 2:52 p.m.

And why is there no build thread for this creature? Is the end use rally? Rallycross? Something else?

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/29/22 4:46 p.m.

I do not want to start a thread until I know things will fit.  As it is there are a few key points that are a majorly tight squeeze with little room to mitigate.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/9/22 1:32 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

WRX are 62mm in the front.

I love it when a plan comes together...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PiqAfYRkS7NZ7y8qLJcv7RU2sUSc1PElSIAVeAMRDcFp7RW3VoN9ElCBRZs0OeGv