1 2
pirate
pirate Reader
1/7/15 2:54 p.m.

Should have mentioned to be sure to watch a couple of the videos!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
1/7/15 8:46 p.m.

On our D-sports racer (Yamaha 1000) we used a Datsun H-145 LSD (because I had a spare); the sprocket simply replaced the ring gear, the limited slip housing orginally had 4 square holes which were sealed up, the sealed housing then had a small fill/drain hole machined in it. After that a set of plates were machined to house the unit, the plates had a bearing for the stub axles that plugged into the diff, the half shafts were VW Golf and those bolted to the stub axles. The two side plates bolted to the chassis at the bottom and were designed to pivot. At the top of the assembly there was a horizontal plated joining the left and right half. The top plate had a adjustable radius rod that allowed you to adjust the diff fore and aft so you could adjust then chain. I believe we used a 530 chain, it was not enclosed and as long as we used a quality chain wear was not an issue. Note we are talking a 900lb car. I do not know the weight of a mini engine gearbox combo but given that most bike power plants are between 170 - 210lbs I'd be willing to be a bike powered would shed 50 to 100 lbs. If your careful where you park you might get by without reverse, the DSR had no reverse and we just pushed it back.......even my skinny arse could push up the driveway.

Tom
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/7/15 9:00 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: look up EGOMAN on locostusa.com he made an ice racer out of a geo metro (I think) and a bike motor. AWD too...

Nah EGOMAN took an out dune buggy and stuck an intrepid engine in the back,not one of my favorite builds by a longshot.

I'm the one that built the awd geo metro with an R1 and the single seat scratch built autox car using the same R1.

D2W
D2W New Reader
1/9/15 5:07 p.m.

Lynx AE has a R1 into FWD mini conversion kit.

http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-MiniR1.htm

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/15 9:45 p.m.

http://www.pro-motive.co.uk/index.php?page=r1-kit

They have a complete R1 FWD bolt-on swap kit. Very trick.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
1/9/15 10:19 p.m.

$6000 door to door and you get a bolt in. Unless you weld and machine this would be tough to beat.

Tom
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xo4UvKz781rtNzBz9IDjd5L9naYwMRid86cGDCwsWq5532bXA0BKonPsbmHaI4RE