1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bobfehancamaro1LE
Bobfehancamaro1LE
11/25/12 9:45 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/12 9:53 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ^ Sweet AW11 parked next to it

And that's why it looks less blocky in that photo, it's parked next to an 80's car styled by origami.

Knurled
11/25/12 9:56 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
ArthurDent wrote: Man that Camaro looks like a bloated mess next to that MR2.
i was thinking that the MR2 looks adorable next to a real car... but that's probably why i'll never really truly "fit in" on this site..

The sick thing is that people who are 5'8 are complaining about the lack of headroom in the Camaro, while people who are 6'5 can drive an AW11 with a helmet on.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
11/25/12 9:57 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Remember when GM used bloated plastic in all of it's interiors? Pontiac was the worst, with orange lighting. PUKE! There is still a lot of that going on in the Camaro. The HVAC knobs were designed by Fisher Price. Retro instrument binnacles are just stupid and ugly. Why are there tiny gauges below my knees? What happened to the shifter...is that a black softball? Do you want to look at that all day? I could look out over that day after day. Great shifter, nice instrumentation, classy and timeless.

They both look about the same to me.... Unless/until a mag takes both cars, has them on similar rubber (not size - but compound) and tests them with the same driver - no valid comparison is possible. But I don't need that. With a driver one weighs in around 3800 lbs. and the other one 4000. Not for me.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/25/12 10:05 p.m.

After being in traffic behind one for a while today and having plenty of time to stare at it, I continued to be struck by how huge the Camaro is (wider than all the other cars it was passing) and how the guy driving seemed to have to contort himself all over the place to check his blind spots every time he changed lanes. Plus it's just generally ugly.

Did sound nice when he got on it though.

Knurled
11/25/12 10:19 p.m.

I personally don't get the appeal of them (or the new Mustang... or the Challenger) precisely because of the impression that I'm driving an SUV while looking through a mail slot.

But, there sure are a LOT of these cars on the road, so someone must like 'em.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/26/12 4:14 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I personally don't get the appeal of them (or the new Mustang... or the Challenger) precisely because of the impression that I'm driving an SUV while looking through a mail slot. But, there sure are a LOT of these cars on the road, so someone must like 'em.

Agreed! Too many on the road, honestly. I think I see at least 35 Mustangs a day, and the Challenger is getting up there too. Both are huge! I have not driven a Challenger yet, but I've had some good seat time in Chargers and Mustangs. Just too big and sloppy.

-Hamid

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/26/12 12:11 p.m.
AverageH wrote:
Knurled wrote: I personally don't get the appeal of them (or the new Mustang... or the Challenger) precisely because of the impression that I'm driving an SUV while looking through a mail slot. But, there sure are a LOT of these cars on the road, so someone must like 'em.
Agreed! Too many on the road, honestly. I think I see at least 35 Mustangs a day, and the Challenger is getting up there too. Both are huge! I have not driven a Challenger yet, but I've had some good seat time in Chargers and Mustangs. Just too big and sloppy. -Hamid

i don't get this- you dislike a car because you see too many of them?

do you look at life thru Buddy Holly glasses that don't have and lenses in them and dress like you shop at the Salvation Army?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/26/12 12:17 p.m.
T.J. wrote: New Mustangs and new Camaros don't have much appeal to me at all. I usually get a kick of looking at the drivers of these cars when I see them out and about. I feel sorta bad for them because they don't know what they are missing driving those types of cars. Then I tell myself to get over myself and realize they can like and drive whatever they choose to.

I'm not missing out on anything.

And a free size comparison for how huge they are.

Photobucket

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
11/26/12 12:33 p.m.

No doubt the Stang is bigger, but the camera lens and having the Stang in the foreground is making it look even worse than it is.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/12 1:21 p.m.

The size of these cars is part of the appeal to many. I can guarantee that very few people are cross-shopping them with a Toybaru. It's an inherent comprimise to the market. You make the thing too compact and lightweight, and it will loose some characteristics that the non-hardcore motorsports crowd goes for.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/26/12 1:28 p.m.

Road and Track's review of the 1LE basically says it loses to the BOSS 302 on all counts.

I test drove both a Camaro and a Mustang on the same day. There is simply no comparison. The Camaro is a bloated pig of a vehicle with the worst ergonomics I have ever experienced.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/26/12 1:34 p.m.
MichaelYount wrote: No doubt the Stang is bigger, but the camera lens and having the Stang in the foreground is making it look even worse than it is.

Oh I know, it was mainly aimed at a previous poster who intimated that those who drive those cars "don't know what we are missing" vs small, lithe tossable cars.

I have both.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/26/12 2:08 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
MichaelYount wrote: No doubt the Stang is bigger, but the camera lens and having the Stang in the foreground is making it look even worse than it is.
Oh I know, it was mainly aimed at a previous poster who intimated that those who drive those cars "don't know what we are missing" vs small, lithe tossable cars. I have both.

Miatas sort of bore me. I like muscle cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/26/12 2:10 p.m.

I wouldn't cry if I put the Miata in the tire wall at Hallett.

I'd probably jump off a building if I did it in the Mustang.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/26/12 2:18 p.m.
gjz30075 wrote:
jstein77 wrote: I wasn't crazy about the looks of them unitl I saw this one: Somehow looks less blocky than the others.
An illusion. Stupid lack of headroom is the same.

and visibility.

Bobfehancamaro1LE
Bobfehancamaro1LE New Reader
11/26/12 3:58 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101: Check this one out, its one bad machine, ready to hit the track in 2013. Tested twice already and broke booth track records.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/12 3:59 p.m.
Bobfehancamaro1LE wrote: In reply to fidelity101: Check this one out, its one bad machine, ready to hit the track in 2013. Tested twice already and broke booth track records.

You didn't link to anything, and "track records" mean nothing.

Bobfehancamaro1LE
Bobfehancamaro1LE New Reader
11/26/12 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin: They do when your last name is FEHAN.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/12 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Bobfehancamaro1LE:

Ah, no, no, they do not. Fehan isn't exactly Andretti or Petty there bubba, we have no idea who you are. Or care, really, for that matter. Hell, I have "track records", but exactly 0 people will (or should) care.

And the 1LE is still inferior in every measurable way to the Boss 302.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/26/12 7:55 p.m.

Well, he did say "booth" track records. Maybe booth professionals? Maybe it's a rhyming booth? "one bad machine, ready to hit the track in '13".

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/26/12 8:28 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
ArthurDent wrote: Man that Camaro looks like a bloated mess next to that MR2.
i was thinking that the MR2 looks adorable next to a real car... but that's probably why i'll never really truly "fit in" on this site..
The sick thing is that people who are 5'8 are complaining about the lack of headroom in the Camaro, while people who are 6'5 can drive an AW11 with a helmet on.

I've never driven an AW11 so I can't comment on that, but I did recently choose a Camaro SS as a rental car, just to have a chance to drive one. I'm 5'8" coincidentally and couldn't see out of the Camaro to save my life! I've never driven a car that felt so claustrophobic. I literally had to lean forward against the steering wheel to see the stoplight if I was the first car in line. Crazy!

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/26/12 11:13 p.m.

Wait, you can get a rental SS ?!?!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/12 11:38 p.m.

What you guys need is a Miata with the engine of the 1LE

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/27/12 12:49 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
AverageH wrote:
Agreed! Too many on the road, honestly. I think I see at least 35 Mustangs a day, and the Challenger is getting up there too. Both are huge! I have not driven a Challenger yet, but I've had some good seat time in Chargers and Mustangs. Just too big and sloppy. -Hamid
i don't get this- you dislike a car because you see too many of them? do you look at life thru Buddy Holly glasses that don't have and lenses in them and dress like you shop at the Salvation Army?

No, I just can't stand the cars, therefor I can't stand seeing them all over the place. Not that difficult to figure out.

-Hamid

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Ot0y3qolii5VCASv9AThmBMH019GZxZ236KxY25JHkjXJ8tl2l3jHLHjPvuhlBi