captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/15 7:57 a.m.

SWMBO would like me to get something new that is capable of babying (I don't know why the Volvo won't fit the bill, even though it's not new the drivetrain and harness is). and she'd like it kept under $40k, ruling out an GLK AMG, S3 and V60 in top trim. Most everything that I like in the 20-30k range she finds a touch too small, Fiesta st, miata, mazda 3, fiesta st, miata, velostar turbo, fiesta st, Miata, Frisbee, fiesta st, Miata.

But a beautiful compromise has been reached. She has greenlighted the forthcoming Focus RS. It should be a good fit as it should be a spectacularly fun daily capable of carrying us and a little one and stuff for a weekend. bonus factor that in 8-10 years after purchase I'd gladly cage it (which is sadly or not so sadly a consideration I make when purchasing a new car; this it's time to retire this, would I prefer to consider caging it for wheel to wheel or rally duty?).

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/19/15 8:09 a.m.

Yeah, it should baby pretty good. It's sorta like an ms3, and that baby'd for me just fine.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/19/15 9:36 a.m.

Too bad they did not announce anything about it yet like they were supposed to at Detroit :( unless I missed it

captdownshift
1/19/15 9:39 a.m.

announcement is coming at Geneva. They've lot a lot slip out on it, I don't foresee any surprises at the release. the AWD leak was a bit of a surprise, I didn't expect it but the videos looked to confirm it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/19/15 9:50 a.m.

The problem with the RS is you're probably looking at a full year until you can buy one. You'll be toddlering.

captdownshift
1/19/15 10:02 a.m.

baby is not forthcoming (yet), so we're on track (and pre counting chickens)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/19/15 10:03 a.m.

GLA lease. Because you don't want to own a modern benz out of warranty.....

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/19/15 10:27 a.m.

I thought you meant she was going to drive the new car gently and take really good care of it. Your later post clears it up that you are looking for a car that can drive around an actual baby. Now I understand the other responses.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/20/15 9:38 a.m.

WRx? My Sti fits two kids well and a lot of junk in the trunk. Has awd as well. The interior rattles start a bit earlier than the previous generations but the quality of materials is slightly better. And for some reason they have a better residual value than anything else out there

MattGent
MattGent Reader
1/20/15 9:53 a.m.

Whatever you buy check it with a rear-facing child seat first. My WRX can't fit an adult in the passenger seat with a rear-facing child seat in the back. Seemingly each year the length of time recommended for rear-facing gets longer too.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/20/15 10:27 a.m.

I believe kids must be in a car seat or booster seat until the age of 21 now.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/20/15 10:39 a.m.

If it makes it to the states, and it looks like it's going to at this point I think the biggest issue will be cost. Apparently it will be limited in numbers so you will have the inevitable dealer gouging and Ford is going do it right this time with all the goodies included (AWD, 300-350 HP etc)so you may already be at $40K or over. I think it's going to be really special though.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/20/15 12:28 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I believe kids must be in a car seat or booster seat until the age of 21 now.

It sure feels like that. It was 1 until my first turned 1 then it turned to 2 now its as long as the weight range of the car seat will allow it

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
1/20/15 2:29 p.m.

Volkswagen Golf R? I think it's as close to the Focus as you can get right now. They're super nice to boot.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/20/15 9:41 p.m.

Focus ST pricing is WAY down for 2014 can pick one up for 20k or so. The question is would the RS be 15k more car? The Golf R would be the right now version of the same thing, and with just a tune gains a lot of power + has DSG and can come from the factory with adjustable suspension

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/20/15 10:00 p.m.
MattGent wrote: Whatever you buy check it with a rear-facing child seat first. My WRX can't fit an adult in the passenger seat with a rear-facing child seat in the back. Seemingly each year the length of time recommended for rear-facing gets longer too.

My MS3 is the same way. I have a Recaro Performance Ride for the baby but you have to push the passenger seat way forward to make it work which means the wife needs to sit behind my 5'11" self when we take my car. Maybe a used CTS-V? (I know I know SWMBO wants a new car) I was going to say V60 Polestar but I think they're all spoken for and you nixed Volvo.

I'm really really hoping that the 2017 Mazdaspeed6 rumors are true.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/15 10:15 p.m.

For performance baby hauling I would go for this:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o9UsYPvnhv7BwJ0qHVqABT78cAwcX1cIIpti7FfN81DvUFSkAN8Ag3MhRULVeeJz