1 2 3
Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
5/4/14 5:25 p.m.

I'm trying to find cheap bigger wheels- new or used, aftermarket or some OEM - to put on my '67 Coronet wagon. For those who don't know, it's a 5x4.5 inch bolt pattern.

Since I'm building the car to handle but for the street primarily, I'd like to stick with 16 or 17 inch wheels to retain some sidewall for comfort.

I've considered some Mustang or Panther wheels but I'm not sure how they work clearance/offset-wise on my car. Most Ford wheels I've seen on A-bodies don't have enough negative offset to not look out of place on a bigger car like mine, IMO.

Same thing with a lot of general aftermarket wheels and even later-model OE Charger/Challenger wheels - too much offset, no rim lip, looks goofy (I've seen B-bodies with the lower-end Challenger blocky five spokes and it doesn't do it for me at all).

This is what my car looks like now on 15s with small hubcaps - I really dig how it looks, but 215/75s...

I like upsized Torq Thrust-type wheels like this... but I also don't want to run straight to Torq Thrusts since everyone and their dog goes for that style at some point.

So my goals are: cheap (around $1000 for a set tops), works with the body style, decent street tire selection. I'm asking because so far I've only been able to figure out what DOESN'T look good (i.e. those 17s and 18s that look more like they belong on crappy SUVs)

What do you think I should consider? If hub bores or brake rotors need to be trimmed some to fit that's NBD.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
5/4/14 5:39 p.m.

The nascar style wheels I think look cool. I can only seem to find them in 15" sizes though. Someone much make them in 16" I would think. But the 15s are pretty well priced.

Edit:

Crager makes them in 16 and 17 inch sizes.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Cragar/Cragar-Black-D-Window-Steel-Wheels/751048/10002/-1

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/4/14 5:45 p.m.

I prefer the Dog Dish hubcap look.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/4/14 7:09 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I prefer the Dog Dish hubcap look.

I concur. Look to Stockton Wheels or similar for upsized steelies to use with your dog dish caps.

These with your caps and 16" barrels would be the E36 M3.

Go get 'em!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/4/14 7:22 p.m.

Shouldn't current Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger rims fit the lugs?
I think they are 5x4.5 too.

Some take offs from one of those could give the current vibe while still staying in the family.

Personally, Cop rims:

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/14 7:38 p.m.

You can also look at the vectors which are more like a general lee type wheel. There was an option for Magnum 500's too. I like the slot type of wheels.

Here is a look http://bringatrailer.com/2012/08/11/matching-numbers-1967-dodge-coronet-rt/

There are not a lot of options in good backspacing without feeling a little tired. I'm running into the same issue with my barracuda.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/4/14 7:41 p.m.

Another vote for circle track steelies, they're cheap, indestructible and come in any offset/pattern/width you like, so long as you stick to 15" anyhow.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
5/4/14 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Secret_Chimp:

Nice '67 wagon!

If you keep the 15" steelies on it, you should be able to run a 235/60 up front, and a 255/60 in the back. A 275/60 might fit out back, but it could be tight.

Cragars are appropriate for a '67 Coronet:

The SN95 generation of Mustangs have decent backspacing to use on the older Mopars. The aftermarket wheels for those ponies typically have larger hub openings than the OE Ford wheels. I have a set of Bullitts on my '89 Shelby Dak.

If you want to keep the car stock-ish looking, maybe the '01 Mustang Mach 1 version of the old Magnum 500 wheel:

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/4/14 7:48 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Close. 5x115 or 4.53" From what I've found, offset is about 18, so that might not work either.

Ford P71 steel wheels? I believe Crown Vics are 5x4.5" (listed at 114.3mm) and P71 wheels were made in 16" and 17" versions. Paint them white and see if you can figure out how to fit those OE hub caps to them.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/4/14 8:09 p.m.

Sorry guys but modern offset wheels really do look goofy on older cars. Here is my old Granada with P71 wheels for proof.

Wheels are way too tucked in. To the point they might rub even. Check out the offset and fender filling compared to the OP's pic.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
5/4/14 8:15 p.m.

cragar 344. up to 16x8 with a range of offsets

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/4/14 8:17 p.m.

I just scored a set of 17" Charger/Magnum steel wheels today. 5X115 but slides right onto 5X4.5.

photo 20140504_174220_zps9oxolmeu.jpg

With a small hubcap they really nail the modern size but vintage style thing

I am STOKED. Been wanting these since day one with this car.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/4/14 8:20 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Sorry guys but modern offset wheels really do look goofy on older cars. Here is my old Granada with P71 wheels for proof. Wheels are way too tucked in. To the point they might rub even. Check out the offset and fender filling compared to the OP's pic.

There are these things called spacers. They fit between the hub and the wheel and fix this problem

photo 20130310_163336_zps90d3a4b8.jpg

^ up there is running 30mm spacers to make the ET38 wheels fill out the fenders

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/4/14 8:40 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Sorry guys but modern offset wheels really do look goofy on older cars. Here is my old Granada with P71 wheels for proof. Wheels are way too tucked in. To the point they might rub even. Check out the offset and fender filling compared to the OP's pic.
There are these things called spacers. They fit between the hub and the wheel and fix this problem  photo 20130310_163336_zps90d3a4b8.jpg ^ up there is running 30mm spacers to make the ET38 wheels fill out the fenders

Yes there are spacers to correct the fitment, but you still have a modern offset wheel on a car not designed for it. FWIW I love the look, especially on your Falcon. However I think the OP was trying to stay away from the flush face look modern wheels have, even with spacers. Secret_Chimp please correct me if I'm wrong.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/4/14 8:54 p.m.

I get what you are saying about the TTs on the Super Bee but man they look sweet.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
5/4/14 9:31 p.m.
oldtin wrote: cragar 344. up to 16x8 with a range of offsets

Please no Corvette Rally wheels on a Mopar.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
5/5/14 1:00 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
I concur. Look to Stockton Wheels or similar for upsized steelies to use with your dog dish caps. These with your caps and 16" barrels would be the E36 M3. Go get 'em!

Have you seen these on any kind of car? I can't find them anywhere. I like the style of Mopar cop wheels but I'm not sure how it'd look in 16".

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
5/5/14 1:27 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I get what you are saying about the TTs on the Super Bee but man they look sweet.

Yeah I know... I'm wondering what those are now. I don't think they're in the actual TT line (I may be wrong, I couldn't find them on image search)

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
5/5/14 9:07 a.m.
Secret_Chimp wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: I get what you are saying about the TTs on the Super Bee but man they look sweet.
Yeah I know... I'm wondering what those are now. I don't think they're in the actual TT line (I may be wrong, I couldn't find them on image search)

I'm pretty sure the Bee is wearing ET Classic V wheels:

But they will put you over your budget. Classic V page

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/5/14 9:19 a.m.

I prefer my 60's (and 70's, and 80's) vehicles on staggered 15x8's and 15x10's

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
5/5/14 9:38 a.m.

In reply to failboat:

God I hated those tires with a passion........

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/5/14 9:49 a.m.

Guess it depends on what you want them to do. So far the have been more than adequate for how I use the (slow ass hoopty) truck. I figure they are comparable to BFG Radial TA's, Firehawk Indy 500's, etc.. and being never pushed to their limit all these tires feel the same to me.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
5/5/14 11:03 a.m.

Yeah I'm not sticking with 15s specifically because the tire choices are junk.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/5/14 11:16 a.m.
Secret_Chimp wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
I concur. Look to Stockton Wheels or similar for upsized steelies to use with your dog dish caps. These with your caps and 16" barrels would be the E36 M3. Go get 'em!
Have you seen these on any kind of car? I can't find them anywhere. I like the style of Mopar cop wheels but I'm not sure how it'd look in 16".

Yup, on my old cop car!

pushrod36
pushrod36 New Reader
5/5/14 11:53 a.m.

Check MB wheels at discount tire.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fyWQYwXXa4SsoqXNFI88P08VbKeZlniT9tKzI5vjRFhlNzyj3i8m9hVhRMcRuiGx