nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
3/5/24 8:29 p.m.

Congrats!

As usual, you made the right decision.  yes

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/24 9:08 p.m.

I'm not sure about my decision yet .

The ergonomics work out OK for me, and the lack of sunroof give very ample clearance for wearing a helmet. I like the way it pulls, it's got less power than our 997 (unless it has a tune) but it feels quicker thanks to it surfing on a wave of boost. I can seen how it encourages the little devil on one's shoulder.

So right now it's parked outside the house with me taking advantage of CarMax' generous 24h test drive policy. When I initially drove it I really liked it, but I thought the exhaust was a tad too loud for this old curmudgeon and I'm not sure I could live with that. The sales person thought it was a stock exhaust but it turns out to be a Megan Racing one. The other non-stock items on the car are a set of Voxx wheels - I thought the wheels were stock, but stock Honda wheels don't have Voxx centre caps...

Oh, and the front bumper looks like it's been off a couple of times as it's got the typical uneven gap on the sides where it meets the fender. Not a big deal, because I'd have to take it off to replace the grill and put an oil cooler on anyway.

I do like the car, a lot. I'd like it even better if I could figure out how to get either Android Auto or Carplay going, but that's a problem for tomorrow.

Right now, the decision is if I potentially have another one shipped to this branch or if I grab a used OEM exhaust and a set of OEM wheels of the Bay of Regret, err, Bay of E. A quick look suggests that similar mileage Type Rs would cost me between $500-$1000 in shipping, and likely cost me another grand or two on top of the price of this one. A full set of wheels and a used OEM exhaust would set me back probably $2k including shipping, so it almost feels like I'd come out even and with another set of wheels as a result. Although they're 20", so there is that.

WWGRM do?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/24 10:33 p.m.

What's the cost delta to step up to a brand new one, thereby eliminating the mystery of past ownership, and the cost of wheels, tires (mounting and balancing) and a tolerable exhaust?

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Rough back of the envelope calculation suggest at least 10k. I don't think the FL5 is available for MSRP yet, so mid forties is a reasonable assumption.

Type Rs kinda do feel like a car one should buy new, but that's a price range I'm not comfortable with right now.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/5/24 10:42 p.m.

And finding a nice set of stock wheels and tires is much, much more difficult than you would think...says the guy who just gave up on that very same idea and ponied up for a new set of BBS wheels. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/5/24 10:45 p.m.

Since you mentioned "Si" in the thread title...

Would a new Si at MSRP get you 80-90% of the way to where you want to be, for 75% of the cash?

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 10:45 p.m.

I did find a couple of sets for reasonable money around here. Not all of them look good in the photos but a lot of them do.

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 10:48 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Since you mentioned "Si" in the thread title...

Would a new Si at MSRP get you 80-90% of the way to where you want to be, for 75% of the cash?

That ship may have sailed off the edge of the world after driving a type R. My main gripe with the Si is that it is only available as a sedan, and I really want a hatchback for practicality.

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 10:52 p.m.

Actually, the aforementioned $10k price difference would get me into a FL5 at MSRP. I didn't realize these are 45k these days. So realistically, at least 15k on top of the FK8 that's currently parked in front of the garage. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/5/24 10:55 p.m.

Drive an Si (or a five door Integra) and decide how fast you really need to go. 

Acura is currently offering $500 factory cash back and they have been selling at MSRP. 

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 10:57 p.m.

If the Si was available as a hatchback, I'd be a the local Honda emporium on Saturday...

Realistically the Si should have enough oomph.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/5/24 11:02 p.m.

I would have preferred a Civic Si sedan if I could have found one, but I settled for an Integra hatchback..

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/5/24 11:05 p.m.

Acura gives you an extra year on the warranty (four vs. three), and two years of free maintenance (vs. one from Honda) if such things are important to you. 

BoxheadTim
3/5/24 11:08 p.m.

Does the Integra have the LSD if it's not a Type S?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/6/24 5:15 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Does the Integra have the LSD if it's not a Type S?

Yes. All six speed Integras come with the LSD. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/6/24 5:26 a.m.

It's probably impossible to find a new Civic Si to test drive, but it should be pretty easy to find a new six speed Integra to drive at just about any dealer. 

Search dealer inventory online. You need to look for an A-Spec with the Technology package. That's the only way to get the 6MT.  

Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/24 9:25 a.m.

Stock 20"s are fairly prone to bending on potholes.  And are very heavy.   Stock 20"s  and tires were measured by me at 8lbs heavier each than lightish,cheap 19s from tire rack and continentals when i had my fk8.  Ride was way better too.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/6/24 9:47 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Right now, the decision is if I potentially have another one shipped to this branch or if I grab a used OEM exhaust and a set of OEM wheels of the Bay of Regret, err, Bay of E. A quick look suggests that similar mileage Type Rs would cost me between $500-$1000 in shipping, and likely cost me another grand or two on top of the price of this one. A full set of wheels and a used OEM exhaust would set me back probably $2k including shipping, so it almost feels like I'd come out even and with another set of wheels as a result. Although they're 20", so there is that.

It's real money, but also real OEM quality and 19" for a little more sidewall comfort and pothole protection:

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08W19-T60-100.html?Category_Code=fl5-honda-civic-type-r-r-performance-accessories

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
3/6/24 9:56 a.m.
roninsoldier83 said:
Byrneon27 said:

I just replaced my beloved 540i and 335i DD's with a tenth gen SI and honestly really honestly I couldn't be happier. Economy, safety, reliability, features, and acceptable toddler space/toddler resistant interior surfaces have become more important to me than the horsepower or driving experience. That said the driving experience is incredible and the power is okay... a tune, clutch, and exhaust away from perfection. 

The night I bought it I summed it up in two sentences:

This is the okayest berkeleying car ever!

Neat! It has a boost gauge. There's SO MUCH STORAGE!

If you want a lite supercar get the Type R. If you want a super car get the SI 

Actually I'm just cheap the Type R is a fine daily too just spendy for my taste. 

Well said! 

Although as someone that has owned both, while storage is good in the Si (I had the sedan), the Type R (hatch) was in a different league. I bought my Si locally, but for the Type R I did a fly-and-drive during the middle of winter. Since the Type R comes with summer tires, I had Tire Rack send a set of winter wheels/tires to the dealership so I could drive back across the country (during a snow storm no less). The Type R's hatch swallowed the stock set of wheels/tires like it was nothing! That, combined with the lack of a moonroof made the Type R feel noticeably larger inside. 

While I think there's more bang for your buck with the Si, I wish they made the Si in a hatch and without a mandatory moonroof. A Type Ri if you will. 

The forced sunroof and lack of hatch are my only two annoyances so far but the rest of the package makes up for it. 

1.5T reliability is perfectly adequate occasionally easily rectified headgasket problems, occasional clutch problems both made worse by agressive tuning

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/24 10:24 a.m.

As mentioned previously, when I had my Type R, I put a set of winter wheels/tires on it. I went with a set of 18 inch Enkei's (I'm pretty sure that's the smallest size that would fit over the brakes). Honestly, I preferred the look of the 18's (I dig the meaty tire look), tires were much cheaper and driving from Massachusetts (where I bought the car) back to Colorado, the car rode as smooth as butter. If my knee pain ever went away and I decided to buy another one, I would put 18's back on it. 

My old Type R on 18's: 

As far as the Integra goes, honestly, if you don't mind leather, a 6MT Integra is probably a better deal than a Civic Si. The Integra comes with a hatch and from what I've seen locally, the Integra depreciates quite a bit more than the Si, making them similarly priced on the slightly-used market. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman UltraDork
3/6/24 10:54 a.m.

I picked up my New type R in February. After some negotiating I basically paid MSRP. They  gave me 2k more than anyone else would for my trade and only charged 2k over MSRP. 

The type r is awesome. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/6/24 11:06 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

As far as the used Type R from Carmax goes, don't settle for something that you're not in love with from the get-go.

Why pay a not-insubstantial sum of money for something that has immediate needs? That would be another exercise in frustration. And you've already done that before. 

J_D
J_D New Reader
3/6/24 11:12 a.m.

Hello

I am new to the forum. I've got a 2020 FK8 Type R, original owner. I drive the car year round up in Montreal, Canada. The factory 20's do give a bit of a stiff ride- but I have hit some cataclysmic potholes and came out unscathed. I'm running the  the new Type R wheels for summer now, 19x9.5 ET60 "FL5": wheels. It's a good balance between the original 20's and downsizing to 18s. 

I would recommend a 2020+ if you can find it. The Honda sensing package makes street driving (long trips) a lot easier - plus you can disable the nannies if you don't like them. The 2020's also got an lightly upgraded pad compound. It will still fall apart if you are a fast track driver, however. Some users over on the CivicX forum like the OEM rear pads + front track pads. In normal driving the FK8 will burns through rear pads a lot faster than the front, because it uses rear brake vectoring in turns. ("Honda Agile Handling Assist (AHA)) 

The radio will crash once a month. I use a Carlinkit 3.0 to get wireless carplay. 99% of the time it works great. 1% of the time you have to stop and power cycle the car when it crashes. The only rattle I have is on the trim around the adaptive cruise camera. I stuff a kleenex in the gap and it went away. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/24 11:47 a.m.

FL5's are starting to go for MSRP in some markets.  I would say pass on this one since there is an unknown history and headaches.  

If you like it, hold out on finding a clean example with known history, especially if it is a refresh model which has nice changes.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/6/24 12:32 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:
roninsoldier83 said:
Byrneon27 said:

I just replaced my beloved 540i and 335i DD's with a tenth gen SI and honestly really honestly I couldn't be happier. Economy, safety, reliability, features, and acceptable toddler space/toddler resistant interior surfaces have become more important to me than the horsepower or driving experience. That said the driving experience is incredible and the power is okay... a tune, clutch, and exhaust away from perfection. 

The night I bought it I summed it up in two sentences:

This is the okayest berkeleying car ever!

Neat! It has a boost gauge. There's SO MUCH STORAGE!

If you want a lite supercar get the Type R. If you want a super car get the SI 

Actually I'm just cheap the Type R is a fine daily too just spendy for my taste. 

Well said! 

Although as someone that has owned both, while storage is good in the Si (I had the sedan), the Type R (hatch) was in a different league. I bought my Si locally, but for the Type R I did a fly-and-drive during the middle of winter. Since the Type R comes with summer tires, I had Tire Rack send a set of winter wheels/tires to the dealership so I could drive back across the country (during a snow storm no less). The Type R's hatch swallowed the stock set of wheels/tires like it was nothing! That, combined with the lack of a moonroof made the Type R feel noticeably larger inside. 

While I think there's more bang for your buck with the Si, I wish they made the Si in a hatch and without a mandatory moonroof. A Type Ri if you will. 

The forced sunroof and lack of hatch are my only two annoyances so far but the rest of the package makes up for it. 

1.5T reliability is perfectly adequate occasionally easily rectified headgasket problems, occasional clutch problems both made worse by agressive tuning

Interesting. I didn't know those 1.5t's have head gasket issues. What do people do to rectify them?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q4vlnhJOmi3ibQWLYKxkUmFEvkcckkxTgKxC5uO07OdTWeAGvvkg1rycqL1zQ9nv