DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/3/12 5:59 p.m.

I'm headed back to the Republic of Korea and my beloved Nubira track car. I've got a little money saved up and have some ideas for fresh modifications. I'm definitely installing oil temp/pressure guages, those I already own. Past that, what would you recommend?

Here are my ideas:

A) Racing wheel studs. This would make me feel safer and replace those damned wheel bolts and allow me to run spacers and make me comfortably bolting up some r-comps.

B) Four or five point harnesses. I have to keep the rear seats to pass registration in Korea, so I'm not sure if this is practical. I'd also like to keep my car a functional once a month road trip mobile.

C) Cut out exhaust system. I want to replace the pipe between the manifold and the cat with another that connect both to the factory cat and dumps, unmuffled, out in front of the front tire. I think the exhaust is choking up my swapped 2.0 motor pretty bad, but I like the fact it's quiet when I'm just driving.

D) Camber plates. Just in the front. I can get 2 degrees with just crash bolts but I'd also like more caster.

E) Extra set of wheels and used r-comps.

What would you do first for your street/track Daewoo?

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/3/12 10:04 p.m.

Damn it! I'm desperate for your wisdom!

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/12 10:18 p.m.

All the above! I know I'm no help.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
9/3/12 10:21 p.m.

Wheel Studs?

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/3/12 10:31 p.m.

Yah, the car has wheel bolts adapted from a Ssangyong Rodius right now. The Ssangyong pieces are longer than stock - the stock bolts are designed for really thin wheel mounting surfaces - but the Ssangyong pieces aren't long enough to be safe with wheel spacers and I'm worried they wouldn't be safe with R-comps.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/3/12 10:35 p.m.

LS1/T56..

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/3/12 10:41 p.m.

If you knew the power of the TS20D you would scoff at the suggestion of an LS1!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/12 7:38 a.m.

A and E, in that order of importance.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/4/12 10:42 p.m.

C would be rad just for the sound. Go with an electronic one and change the sound at will.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/4/12 10:51 p.m.

Light battery?
Saving 20 lbs off the front can't possibly hurt.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
9/5/12 7:50 a.m.

stitch welding and 4 point bar. followed by fixed back race seat, turbo, and full on slicks.

do the safety stuff first, like the wheel bolts annd harnesses. im sure theres a way for you to do it where you can retain teh bback seats.

michael

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
9/5/12 7:58 a.m.

On the cutouts, dont bother with remote or cable operated, just go for ones with wing nuts.

Aero? Make yourself a wing and splitter! (plywood is good for a splitter)

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/5/12 8:36 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: What would you do first for your street/track Daewoo?

I'm surprised Walter nor Dave have chimed in on this. I think the obvious answer is to find a hill climb. We have one make a regular appearance at our hillclimbs. It serves as a back up car for folks so they can continue to have a fun weekend of racing even if their car craps out. It is not the fastest car, but it takes a lot of abuse and keeps on going. Everyone that drives it seems to get out with a smile on their face. It ends up being a spec racer. Multiple drivers competing to see just who can be the Daewoo top dog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xG4mFfOQ4M

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/5/12 11:01 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

I would love to do hillclimbs. Now if I can just find them ...

Btw, my car is significantly faster than stock - last time on track I was running just about even with an S2000 on Pilot Sports and I did a motor swap after that. Should I find something else for a hillclimb to start out with?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/5/12 11:37 a.m.

Hillclimb what you have. No such thing as a perfect car.

The best hillclimb cars are the ones that can survive a hit to a tree or a rock and let you live to tell about it, and not break the bank if you break the car. Don't race a car payment and all that. We have classes for everything. If you have to be the fastest person there, sure you might want to think about a different car. Otherwise run what you have, smile ear to ear and call it good. Ideal situations: suspension should be closer to rally inspired rather than road race inspired. Cage if you put one in should be rally style rather than road race. Tires, toyo ra1 and r888 are good jack of all trade tires for this stuff. You can never have too much power, but it you are breaking stuff every run, that isn't fun either. Reliable and durable is more important than powerful........unless you absolutely need to win.....

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/6/12 12:29 a.m.

I'll look. Not sure if they have hill climbs in Korea, but I've wanted to do the Virginia City hillclimbs since I was like 10.

From what you said, it sounds like my car is ideal! I was more worried about being that guy who shows up in a car that's too fast for a novice and getting dead/seriously hurt.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Xqky2s5qXJQ63LJkTXbNF1KvMHP09IeNVFp5MpOfY0c3irbI4mVqsYssQubFeBk