1 2
96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/12/10 7:50 p.m.

Has anyone driven it? Is it as horribly boring as it seems like it would be?

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/12/10 10:40 p.m.

The British mag CAR has a long history of testing REALLY awful/REALLY boring Nissans. In fact, until the late '80s-early '90s they weren't even allowed by Nissan to test any of their cars. They think the Leaf is the most boring Nissan....pretty much, ever. And the styling? I've got to admit, that GM pretty much wrote the book on styling for electric cars.

Go to www.carmagazine.co.uk and look up what they have to say.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/12/10 11:12 p.m.

the fact that the only ads I've seen for it on TV spend the entire time following a polar bear around town, while not saying anything about the car, or showing it from anything other than its hideous front end, tells me that there is really nothing interesting to say about it.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
9/13/10 12:25 a.m.

It's a pile. I'll spend the extra ducats for the Volt if and when I want such a vehicle. At least it is a real car, with a real range that comes fully equipped while not looking like a political statement.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/13/10 6:06 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: It's a pile. I'll spend the extra ducats for the Volt if and when I want such a vehicle. At least it is a real car, with a real range that comes fully equipped while not looking like a political statement.

The Volt is a real car? Until I actually see one driving around I call BS, and rank it up there with the other vaporware electric cars like the Tesla that don't really exist as production vehicles, just one-offs for the rich and famous.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/13/10 3:57 p.m.

I know there are folks who don't care what a car looks like but want to be "supremely" green....I guess they will buy a LEAF.

But I think Nissan missed the boat by not making this car a bit more attractive. I reminds me of the original Q45 and it's lack of a front grille....of any kind. Still a nice looking car. The LEAF looks like it was designed(?) by folks who had previously worked on golf carts.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/13/10 6:44 p.m.

After reading this thread for a couple days and still not knowing what a Nissan Leaf was. Now I know.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/13/10 6:59 p.m.

Actually, I like the styling of the Leaf better than the current Sentra.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/13/10 7:05 p.m.

Hey Chevy-how did Nissan announce, design, and release a car with nary a whimper while you are still whining, bitching, and delaying production of a car you were talking about 2 years before anyone had ever heard of a Leaf?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/10 7:16 p.m.

I don;t think the leaf looks that bad. It is a shame Nissan did not find a way to incorporate some solarcells into the roof.. but other than that.. it looks good. Certainly better than the Toyota Pius

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/13/10 8:54 p.m.

I'd drive one. I have a pretty boring 12mi each way commute (no switchbacks, lots of lights, straight highway sections) and would have no problems using this appliance for that task, especially since I'd never have to worry about range or stopping at the gas station. Use the right tool for the job, etc.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/13/10 11:10 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I know there are folks who don't care what a car looks like but want to be "supremely" green....I guess they will buy a LEAF. But I think Nissan missed the boat by not making this car a bit more attractive..

psh...alot people don't really care that much about BEING "green," they just want to be PC and LOOK like they're being green. And if it looked like a normal car, then other people wouldn't be able to see how awesomely you are going out of your way to save the planet. I mean, who wants an all-electric Versa? Then people would just think you're cheap and bought a cheap Versa, not realizing how you're really far superior to them in their gas-guzzlers....

A guy I work with has a Prius and always brags about his awesome mileage. But here's the rub: He lives out in the countryside and commutes about 50 miles each way, all highway/rural highway. Almost no stop-and-go or city traffic where the electric hybrid motor is useful. I once pointed out to him that for the ~40mpg he gets in the Prius on his 70mph commute, he could have spent half the money and gotten a Fit or Corolla or something that is pretty close to the same mileage on the highway........he blustered a bit and then went on about how his "hybrid" was more environmentally friendly than a Fit or Corolla.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
9/14/10 12:09 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote:
forzav12 wrote: It's a pile. I'll spend the extra ducats for the Volt if and when I want such a vehicle. At least it is a real car, with a real range that comes fully equipped while not looking like a political statement.
The Volt is a real car? Until I actually see one driving around I call BS, and rank it up there with the other vaporware electric cars like the Tesla that don't really exist as production vehicles, just one-offs for the rich and famous.

I've seen it, sat in it and they are taking orders right now-so, I guess its real enough. It is a nice car unlike that ugly penalty box with no alternative but a pair of Nikes when the juice runs out.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
9/14/10 12:13 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Hey Chevy-how did Nissan announce, design, and release a car with nary a whimper while you are still whining, bitching, and delaying production of a car you were talking about 2 years before anyone had ever heard of a Leaf?

Here's how- the Leaf is a limited use vehicle with near zero performance, so-so driving dynamics, questionable styling, too small for most and a completely unproven range.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/14/10 5:19 a.m.

In reply to forzav12:

And the volt is a prettier Prius with a bigger battery pack. It isn't that complicated a build. The drama wasn't necessary.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
9/14/10 5:15 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
9/14/10 5:23 p.m.

That ugly catfish has survived as a species for thousands of years...proof that ugly and good design are not mutually exclusive.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
9/14/10 5:49 p.m.
irish44j wrote: psh...alot people don't really care that much about BEING "green," they just want to be PC and LOOK like they're being green. And if it looked like a normal car, then other people wouldn't be able to see how awesomely you are going out of your way to save the planet.

I think pretty much everyone who drives a car is making some statement.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/14/10 6:56 p.m.
forzav12 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Hey Chevy-how did Nissan announce, design, and release a car with nary a whimper while you are still whining, bitching, and delaying production of a car you were talking about 2 years before anyone had ever heard of a Leaf?
Here's how- the Leaf is a limited use vehicle with near zero performance, so-so driving dynamics, questionable styling, too small for most and a completely unproven range.

No saying I would buy one but from everything I have seen looking at them they seem to get a range between 68-138 miles. I don't remember where I read that. Either way that is a lot more then I drive in a day so it doesn't seem that useless.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/14/10 6:59 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to forzav12: And the volt is a prettier Prius with a bigger battery pack. It isn't that complicated a build. The drama wasn't necessary.

+1

Count me in the volt vapor ware camp..

Also, GM really didn't need to spend govment money on the volt dance. http://jalopnik.com/5426883/gms-chevy-volt-dancers-make-fox-news-become-full+fledged-pr-nightmare

Make mine a leaf. The day I purchase GM is the day my penis falls off.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
9/14/10 9:49 p.m.

I'd seriously consider an electric appliance.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/14/10 9:54 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I'd seriously consider an electric appliance.

If I were a new car buyer I would really consider one as well. What would stop me is the exorbitant cost of insurance and registration. It doesn't stop me from having multiple dd's right now , but if I had a car payment I would be broke so I would have to be a little more sensible!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
9/14/10 10:52 p.m.

It would be perfect for me in some ways. Actually, its more than I need. I have a very short commute and my wife has a "normal" car so we wouldn't have to worry about long trips. But my DD is my E Stock MR2. So I'd still need it if I was going to keep racing. Plus, even with the government incentives it is a lot more than I've ever spent on a car.

All those things aside- fast forward 15 years when I can get a used one for cheap that needs brakes and new batteries? Maybe. I think it looks fine.

I've wondered if a flood of Prius... uh es will hit the market soon needing batteries. Guess if they do I'd be more likely to get one and convert it to plug in electric.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/14/10 11:04 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
irish44j wrote: psh...alot people don't really care that much about BEING "green," they just want to be PC and LOOK like they're being green. And if it looked like a normal car, then other people wouldn't be able to see how awesomely you are going out of your way to save the planet.
I think pretty much everyone who drives a car is making some statement.

Unintentionally, perhaps. I doubt that the dude driving a Grand Caravan is trying to make some kind of statement to impress people.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 4:44 p.m.

Rented one while my wife's latest bit of inattentiveness while driving her CX7 was being addressed.

The drivetrain is very cool. Very Torquey, and that torque remains at freeway speeds. Very quiet except for a neat, faint jet-turbine-ish sound under full throttle. The motor would serve well in an autocross format, which isn't surprising, as a friend used to turn fast lap times in his Hoosier-equipped Insight.

And that's kind of it. The range is supposed to be 100 miles, but with a full charge, the indicator never made it past 95. The interior is tastefull but bland compact level quality and detailing. Ride and handling is good, but the steering feels like about 30 turns lock-to-lock. Lots of legroom both front and back, and a decent cargo area. Goofy looking - as are most Nissan products right now.

I'd never buy one, but it's not an absurd thought. Living in an urban area, it would make a fine second car. It fills a nitch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODZc9IWi33rd0vwFeZ2NGvNMbVoXDO1Wq7UPnGK39eRvvc0eXUJUxzGTVLW8z6cd