1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 5:19 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: After reading this thread for a couple days and still not knowing what a Nissan Leaf was. Now I know.

I was ambivalent about the concept until I saw one on a trailer in Nova Scotia when I was on the way home from Targa Newfoundland. It was registered in Ontario, which was odd.

Then, when I was in Ottawa, there was some fanfare about the first Leaf being delivered to a customer - and there was the same car. It had to be trucked in, there's no way it could have driven. If I wanted to go to a hockey game in Denver (as I did a few weeks ago), I would have to make an overnight stop in Vail and again in Georgetown. So you're pretty much required to have a second car.

Extended-range hybrids like the Volt (which to me is an electric car with a generator, not a Prius which is a gas car with a battery assist) make a whole lot more sense in that light.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/22/11 5:48 p.m.

In reply to kreb:

Your impressions mirror my own when I had a chance to drive one a month ago. I thought it was a good car, well executed, and not underpowered (for what it is).

There are a lot of them here in Seattle. A guy who works in my office building traded in his Audi A8 for one. He's had it for about 6 months now and still loves it. He does not fit the stereotype of left-leaning tree hugger.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/23/11 9:36 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
integraguy wrote: I know there are folks who don't care what a car looks like but want to be "supremely" green....I guess they will buy a LEAF. But I think Nissan missed the boat by not making this car a bit more attractive..
psh...alot people don't really care that much about BEING "green," they just want to be PC and LOOK like they're being green. And if it looked like a normal car, then other people wouldn't be able to see how awesomely you are going out of your way to save the planet. I mean, who wants an all-electric Versa? Then people would just think you're cheap and bought a cheap Versa, not realizing how you're really far superior to them in their gas-guzzlers.... A guy I work with has a Prius and always brags about his awesome mileage. But here's the rub: He lives out in the countryside and commutes about 50 miles each way, all highway/rural highway. Almost no stop-and-go or city traffic where the electric hybrid motor is useful. I once pointed out to him that for the ~40mpg he gets in the Prius on his 70mph commute, he could have spent half the money and gotten a Fit or Corolla or something that is pretty close to the same mileage on the highway........he blustered a bit and then went on about how his "hybrid" was more environmentally friendly than a Fit or Corolla.
iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/23/11 9:39 a.m.

I explained all of that to my grandson who lives in similar circmstances. He was thinking of getting a "hybid' car.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/11 11:36 a.m.

The main thing that bothered me was the slow steering. Aren't some cars "steer by wire" now? If so, you'd think that one could dial in a steering ratio. That would be sweet!

The other take-away was that it's a great performance motor in search of a better package. It'd be great if they'd offer then driveline/software package the same way that you can buy a crate motor from GM.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
12/23/11 2:29 p.m.

Supposedly there is a sub-cult out there building tiny trailers with generators on them to use as range extenders for EVs. That opens up an interesting possibility for the Leaf, drive it around all electric for the 90% of the time you are just commuting, pop the generator on when you need to go to Grandmas house.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ESPlFWfZgb49fkD13cUlEfKRwCetVQRtG8opW90XxB7G7Zl7i0EFIJ3oBXtg4sr2