1 2
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
2/1/15 6:24 p.m.

Just saw the Nissan LMP commercial.
Fire shooting out the hood!
Some other stuff with a child or something too. Can't wait to see the car race.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/15 6:25 p.m.

Too sappy for me

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/1/15 6:26 p.m.

seen that too

good commercial

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
2/1/15 6:27 p.m.

I loved that one. Best so far!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/1/15 6:35 p.m.

Liked that Danny Trejo Brady Snickers commercial too

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
2/1/15 8:07 p.m.

And its a front wheel drive LMP car...

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-revealed-in-super-bowl-commercial-video/?v=2&s=1&r=15238

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
2/1/15 8:15 p.m.

I'm not a fan of misused songs. That's a sad song about being away at work while your child grows up not a father son bonding thing.

Edit: interesting LMP car though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
2/1/15 8:26 p.m.

It's kind of FWD. The rear wheels are almost certainly driven by electric motors.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
2/1/15 8:35 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

That's now I understand it as well. But running 14" wide wheels in front and 9" in the back with the twin turbo V6 up front makes for an exciting and interesting engineering exercise.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
2/1/15 8:46 p.m.

We were discussing the awesome fatherhood aspects of the song choice during the game as well. Huge lmp fan though...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 8:49 p.m.

I love this car. It illustrates why Le Mans is the most interesting race in the world.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/15 8:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I love this car. It illustrates why Le Mans is the most interesting race in the world.

Amen.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
2/2/15 8:35 a.m.

Given my last year in racing, road trips away from my young son, I got to admit it tugged on my heart strings a bit. The song choice being exactly the reason. Doesn't help that I'm flying out later today.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I had that thought too.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/2/15 8:37 a.m.

Interesting car. Terrible commercial. It essentially said, buy a Nissan and not only do you get an ugly car, but you can also be a bad father who raises his son to also be a bad father. All that commercial needed was a different song and some other car than that new Maxima abomination.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
2/2/15 9:17 a.m.

Was that the new Maxima they were in at the end? I was surprised that they made no mention of which car it was.

Same with the Jeep Renegade commercial; $4.5M for 30 seconds and you don't even show a still shot of it (or interior)?

The Fiat SUV commercial was pretty funny, NX commercial was too techno/trance, Honda was pretty basic, Toyota tried to pull at our heart strings, not sure about any other ones

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/2/15 9:23 a.m.

The Jeep one lost me when they took a song about the US and made it about the entire planet. Not what Woody Guthrie was singing about at all.

The Fiat one was ok. Toyota was stupid, there is nothing bold about a Camry no matter how many times they say it. I laughed at the BMW commercial and that was about it for the whole game.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
2/2/15 9:25 a.m.

The Lexus RC cars were pretty good

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/2/15 9:47 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

I forgot abut that one. I thought they were saying, if you want a toy and have a lot of money to spend, but Lexus. If I were Lexus I'm not sure I would base my ad campaign on my cars being just toys.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
2/2/15 11:19 a.m.

What I took from the Lexus commercial: "Drifting won't void the warranty", cuz, clearly they wouldn't advertise the car doing something that isn't factory backed, right? Ok, now I'm interested.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
2/2/15 11:44 a.m.

I was in a very large and scary racecar crash when my oldest was four. Think helicopter ride and the whole bit. What this ad did for me was to very beautifully illustrate the reality of what it is like to be at once compelled (there is no other proper word) to drive a racing car and to have family at home waiting for you and worrying about you. I have seen a lot of criticism of this ad, and I think it's mostly valid. But for me, this ad was absolute truth.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/2/15 12:21 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: And its a front wheel drive LMP car... http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-revealed-in-super-bowl-commercial-video/?v=2&s=1&r=15238

I'm amazed it doesn't look like a giant cock 'n balls.....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 12:38 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: What I took from the Lexus commercial: "Drifting won't void the warranty", cuz, clearly they wouldn't advertise the car doing something that isn't factory backed, right? Ok, now I'm interested.

The warranty on the RC cars remained intact. I don't think the Lexus did any drifting, just one handbrake-assisted parallel park.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/2/15 12:47 p.m.

I'd guess the guy was a life-long pro driver and earned a pretty darned good living, fell in love, had a child and provided the best way he knew how.

There a lot of military families out there going through far worse for less money and much, much more sacrifice (ultimate?).

I'll bet it hit home with a whole segment of the population we likely know very little about and can only imagine the hardships of.

Just sayin'

PS; that car was Aztek-ugly.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/2/15 1:15 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I'm not a fan of misused songs. That's a sad song about being away at work while your child grows up not a father son bonding thing. Edit: interesting LMP car though.

That's the problem - was the song misused, or were they just inviting you to fill in what happens next with the son asking to borrow the keys to that Maxima and heading out the door, leaving a disappointed father behind?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WU1eCkHkmPlzkZhlHeuEv2cI19TZCWzLKteg4tgT29hIkhJyJFScpJdsO5hG0TDW