1 2
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/23 2:44 p.m.

I recall the carbon brake packages on these were crazy expensive. Is that still a thing?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/17/23 3:02 p.m.

I agree about the Supra's BMW-ness being a worry. I don't like that either. 

The truth is, I'd rather have a Miata than either of them. I don't care that much about being fast though. Everything is fast now. I like a car with less weight and less power. 

I still don't get the GTR, but this kind of car just isn't my jam. The Zo6 sort of makes sense to me. Bespoke engine, amazing track performance. 2009 car for more money now. Nah.

I'll see myself out. :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/23 6:15 p.m.

To be frank, for that kind of cash (and I suspect the average R35 buyer is not financing) I would wait a moment or two and buy the nicest R34 GT-R Nür.

Does the R35 still need to go to the dealer every 2000mi to have the turbos manually recalibrated, or was that all some BS that Nissan made up to add mystique?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/17/23 6:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

To be frank, for that kind of cash (and I suspect the average R35 buyer is not financing) I would wait a moment or two and buy the nicest R34 GT-R Nür.

Does the R35 still need to go to the dealer every 2000mi to have the turbos manually recalibrated, or was that all some BS that Nissan made up to add mystique?

You'd be surprised. The guy I was talking about was petroleum engineer was maybe 26-27 at the time? With two roommates who were also petroleum engineers. So they all make big paychecks with low costs of living. 

They all had insanely, over the top cars. 

As for the turbo thing,  no idea. I've never heard of manually "recalibrating" a turbo? What does that even mean?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
5/17/23 7:38 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
DocRob said:

It's interesting that so many seem to dislike the GT-R. I have seen a number of GT-Rs in Time Attack, NASA TT, UTCC, One Lap, and quite a few running autocrosses. They all do well overall. No, they aren't well suited for door-to-door racing. Yes, they're heavy. No, they aren't as nimble as a 911 or a C8.

But they are shockingly fast for their size and quite comfortable long-distance tourers with more than enough horsepower on tap to have fun. You can put golf clubs or suit cases in the trunk and adult sized people in the back seat. They're not quite as flashy, brashy, peacocky as other cars in their performance class. Meaning they make for much better low key daily drivers. Probably only 2 out of 10 people even notice a R35 GT-R when it's going down the road or parked some place. 

Also, if you haven't looked - while the parts aren't exactly cheap they also aren't crazy priced either. If you can afford to keep a Boxster or Cayman S going, you can afford to keep a GT-R going. Heck, you can pick up an R35 long-block for $12k and a 981 S motor is about 15k. A buddy just had his GT3 motor replaced under warranty from Porsche, so no cost to him, but the bill tally was about 38k of which 27k was the engine. 

I am not a Nissan guy, but, especially used GT-Rs appeal to me quite a bit. No, I'm under no illusions it'll be faster around cones or corners than a 997 or a 981 of similar vintage. But with the right parts installed, I can turn the boost up, dial the suspension up, and absolutely rip around with it when I want to. Then I dial it all back down and drive comfortably down mediocre roads for hours at a time.

Very well said.  I guess it's just how you look at it.  If you compare it to other "supercars" that are mentioned in this thread, it's not in their league.  It's an ancient grand tourer.  If that's what you see it as, you will like it.

It's a Challenger Hellcat before the Hellcat existed.

Exactly. For an extra $50k+, you can have a Nissan Hellcat.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/17/23 8:22 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I have absolutely no idea with respect to the recalibrating, or balancing, or whatever they claimed you had to do.

Millions of other twin turbo engines have been made, some with more (much more) specific output, and they didn't need that servicing...

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/17/23 8:54 p.m.

GT-Rs require an "optimization" service. Which basically is just some kind of ECU-based alignment of clutch plates and shift points and refinement of boost profiles to match your driving style. 

That service is free through Nissan dealers. It gets done with an oil change for '09-11 MYs, and every 12k miles with 2012-Present models. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/18/23 11:16 a.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/23 1:43 p.m.

I like it. You don't see them every day around where I live. All I see are Porsche Audi and Mercedes.  They are so common that no one will look twice at a GT3 or other high performance variant of a 911.   

RS Audi. So played out. AMG. Or even a Black. Just boring.  

I like that the GTR is around. In many ways it is like my current Merc in terms of size weight and usability. It probably has 100 hp on my Merc so for me it would be a great lateral move from my current ride.  I also like the style. Although Pro is correct that photo makes ot look bad like the rear suspension is broken.  

I would also get one just to anoy those that ask why would anyone get one. The answer is I like it much better than many of the other options out there.  It really should not be compared to a 911. The cars that it really compares to is a Panamera GTS4 a CLS63 or an S7 R. Out of that bunch I would take the GTR. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/18/23 2:40 p.m.
calteg said:

I guess this appeals to the guys that want a 911 Turbo S at a discount?? Not really sure what the target demo for the GT-R is anymore

Hey, at least your $120k gets you the prestige of telling the chicks at the bar that you drive a Nissan.  :/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/18/23 3:36 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
calteg said:

I guess this appeals to the guys that want a 911 Turbo S at a discount?? Not really sure what the target demo for the GT-R is anymore

Hey, at least your $120k gets you the prestige of telling the chicks at the bar that you drive a Nissan.  :/

If someone uses a car to pick up chicks, and those chicks are concerned with that, at least they likely have enough money to treat the one of the many STI's they are likely to contract picking up bar flys. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/18/23 3:58 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I'd 100% rather have a GT-R.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
5/18/23 4:35 p.m.
z31maniac said:

If someone uses a car to pick up chicks, and those chicks are concerned with that, at least they likely have enough money to treat the one of the many STI's they are likely to contract picking up bar flys. 

I got confused thinking of Subarus hanging around bars.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/18/23 5:42 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I can say with certainty that I see more Nissan GT-Rs than I see high end BMW/Audi/Mercedes.  Hell, I see more Skyline GT-Rs than I see high end Audis.  (I see one RS3 on occasion.  Sounds better than an RB26 but not by much)

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
5/18/23 5:50 p.m.

Never have understood the front caliper placement ...and I'm not buying the "for optimal cooling" explanation.  I suppose  putting these closer to the CG is inconsequential?

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/18/23 6:41 p.m.

I'd swap 50 bhp for something I could look at in my driveway without wincing.....

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
5/18/23 7:08 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
Olemiss540 said:

But do you have 120k for a Nissan Hellcat? Or are you spending the imaginary $50k extra to decide?

Cause in my book 120k is a lot of cheddar for a car that's awesome at drag racing.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/19/23 3:23 p.m.

Unfair comparison Friday: A model 3 performance gives up .5 seconds in the 0-60 sprint and quarter mile, but is half the cost. And it has a real backseat. And weight barely more than the GT-R

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/19/23 3:30 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
93EXCivic said:
Olemiss540 said:

But do you have 120k for a Nissan Hellcat? Or are you spending the imaginary $50k extra to decide?

Cause in my book 120k is a lot of cheddar for a car that's awesome at drag racing.

I don't have enough for a Hellcat but even if I did I'd never buy a Hellcat.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/23 4:06 p.m.
calteg said:

Unfair comparison Friday: A model 3 performance gives up .5 seconds in the 0-60 sprint and quarter mile, but is half the cost. And it has a real backseat. And weight barely more than the GT-R

Unfair to who?  That is pretty compelling.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/19/23 4:36 p.m.
calteg said:

But...and this is really-really-really important - The Model 3 does not have multiple-settings for selecting how much exhaust crackle you get when you lift off the throttle.

And at the end of the day, that's worth the extra pretend 60 grand. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8paTYxnGCS27wTwZLuBREXkTCucFhy5uTblQXVJBg5FHragcCaZ0V0JbgODlip91