J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/1/23 9:28 a.m.
feature_image

Nissan released the details on the 2024 Nissan Z NISMO. It features a bevy of enhancements over its Sport and Performance versions, many of which focus on providing a “track-ready experience.”

Handling Enhancements

The company said NISMO engineers “revised every element of the car’s suspension to optimize precision, predictability and cornering grip.” Their efforts included incorporating “unique stabilizer bars, a …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/1/23 9:40 a.m.

Bummer about no manual, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see more power and torque.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/1/23 9:45 a.m.

That body color and the red stripe has me seeing Hyundai N.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/1/23 10:42 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

You, too, huh? 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
8/1/23 10:47 a.m.

But will it be faster around the FIRM than the 2023 Nissan Z we tested? I cant wait to take one to the track and find out. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/1/23 10:55 a.m.
ChrisTropea said:

But will it be faster around the FIRM than the 2023 Nissan Z we tested? I cant wait to take one to the track and find out. 

You, along with you're other magazine and influencer friends will be the only ones that get to drive it.  When are the Z's being released?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/23 11:01 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
ChrisTropea said:

You, along with you're other magazine and influencer friends will be the only ones that get to drive it.  When are the Z's being released?

Maybe they did the thing we always critisize people/companies for not doing and actually revised a flawed product instead of immediately releasing it? 

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
8/1/23 12:23 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
ChrisTropea said:

More like this is the version of the car Nissan built for magazine reviewers so the car does better in comparos and reviews. One could argue most of what they changed was in response to GRMs article where they rip into its suspension design and slower lap times.

Honestly I think Nissan delivered the best car for the street out of the box. In this age of mega fast/expensive GTRs, BMW Supras with Toyota track focused handling, superb but expensive Type R Civics and GR Corollas, etc, people seem to forget that the appeal of Japanese cars has always been that you can buy them for relatively cheap, they are reliable, they make fantastic dailys, they respond wonderfully to mods and tuning them is encouraged and expected.

This Nismo is great for bench racing and bragging rights, but a 2024 Z Sport with 6spd and a track pack that adds the LSD and big brakes is the hot ticket IMO. Hopefully from this Nismo they will figure out the essential suspension changes that improve handling but don't ruin it for the street and add them to the base car next year as well. They'd be wise to apply the power upgrades too since the new specs make it match the Supra (which is mega under rated). Don't care for the kit, it doesn't suit the lines of the car, the base car was perfect out of the box visually (which is a huge win on the Supra).

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
8/1/23 1:08 p.m.

A ton of people on facebook and other sites I post on really are butthurt about there being no manual option. All while BMW and other companies are saying their upcoming cars will be the same. Others like the Audi S3 and S4 already are like this. 

Thing is, i'm doing the initial bits of speccing out a build for a track car. Guess what? It's not going to have a manual. I am doing a K swap with BMW DCT from a S55. On top of it it's going into a 240SX auto chassis which was sourced for very cheap. 

This build is going to be for time attack and the DCT will give an edge for sure. 

Ever since i've driven the Audi S3 i've owned on track and at autocross I felt like there is no need for a manual. I would simply test drive this Z and if the auto trans shifts at least as good as the C8 Corvette that's all i'd care about. My 2nd car is a R33 GTR and I care less and less about the difference in "fun" of the manual as time goes on and the S3, especially after a TCU tune, grew on me to a point where it is more fun. The R33 just has more fun handling dynamics. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/23 2:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You, too, huh? 

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

Yeah, I had to look ose to see what is was. Poor color choice Nissan. It hides all the styling. Light colors look best on this car.

Im not suprised at a Nismo version being introduced, the lack of a manual is sad but I cant afford one so my opinion doesnt count.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/1/23 5:56 p.m.
SupraFiend said:
Datsun310Guy said:
ChrisTropea said:

More like this is the version of the car Nissan built for magazine reviewers so the car does better in comparos and reviews. One could argue most of what they changed was in response to GRMs article where they rip into its suspension design and slower lap times.

Honestly I think Nissan delivered the best car for the street out of the box. In this age of mega fast/expensive GTRs, BMW Supras with Toyota track focused handling, superb but expensive Type R Civics and GR Corollas, etc, people seem to forget that the appeal of Japanese cars has always been that you can buy them for relatively cheap, they are reliable, they make fantastic dailys, they respond wonderfully to mods and tuning them is encouraged and expected.

This Nismo is great for bench racing and bragging rights, but a 2024 Z Sport with 6spd and a track pack that adds the LSD and big brakes is the hot ticket IMO. Hopefully from this Nismo they will figure out the essential suspension changes that improve handling but don't ruin it for the street and add them to the base car next year as well. They'd be wise to apply the power upgrades too since the new specs make it match the Supra (which is mega under rated). Don't care for the kit, it doesn't suit the lines of the car, the base car was perfect out of the box visually (which is a huge win on the Supra).

If you read the comments from Tommy Suddard about driving a 400 on the street, it definitely is NOT the best car for the street out of the box.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/1/23 7:20 p.m.

smoothed out those wrinkles around the eyes.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/1/23 8:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You, too, huh? 

Same.  I guess if you can't beat 'em in sales join them.  I'm not driving one unless it comes in a manual.  

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/2/23 9:57 a.m.
ChrisTropea said:

Most of the mods focused on performance, which is nice, rather than just cosmetic upgrades. Will it make a significant difference?

The other question is price. I'm curious where it will land. The Nissan Z Performance MSRP is $50K-ish. The NISMO will be likely above that, which puts it in M2 territory. At that chunk of change, will consumers demand M2 performance from a Z NISMO? The better question: Will it deliver M2 performance?

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/23 10:48 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
ChrisTropea said:

I still have yet to see one in the wild, as far as I can recall. I did get to lay eyes on one in the flesh at the Carlisle import show last year and man what a disappointment that was. Thought it looked pretty good in photos from the initial press release, but didn't translate well at all to the real world - it was slab sided and proportionally awkward. And based on the reviews, it seems the driving experience doesn't make up for the looks by any means. 

Normally I'd applaud any new, somewhat affordable Japanese sporty car, but Nissan's effort just seems completely subpar. Maybe they'll try again in another 20 years frown.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
8/2/23 10:54 a.m.

how are these cars this heavy? I just saw a new 400Z on the road the other day and it looked small

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
8/2/23 10:57 a.m.

In another 20 years i'm sure nobody is making a car with ICE and manual at all. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/2/23 11:26 a.m.
kanaric said:

In another 20 years i'm sure nobody is making a car with ICE and manual at all. 

You might be wrong, I think Nissan will still be introducing the 400Z.......

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/2/23 2:41 p.m.

The lack of a manual transmission in this is glaring

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JwIhQjpxqRm4tUflC23cZoxzyQtCmJZsxMiCjzqqfnplLyiJUhrtXMba9LnO2lEh