iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/19/15 5:12 p.m.

I just discovered that my '13 Fiesta 1.6 does not have a PCV valve. I went looking and there is a short hose that goes from the oil separator to the intake manifold but no valve. Curious.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
2/19/15 5:33 p.m.

The m50 engine in my wife's e34 BMW doesn't really have one either.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/19/15 5:42 p.m.

The oil separator pretty much does the same thing, if it doesn't actually have a valve built into it anyways. With better ring seal, cleaner fuels, and better oils, they don't require service much anymore.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/19/15 5:54 p.m.

Very few vehicles built since about 2000 have one. Europeans, the last I saw was in the 60's, and then only for a couple of years.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/15 6:03 p.m.

PCV valves are kind of a pain in the ass because dumbass people get told by dumbass parts store lookup-monkeys that they need to be replaced on a regular basis. So they sell a generic PCV that invariably flows either too much or not enough compared to the OE valve, and problems ensue.

GM has taken to making the PCV valve a nonserviceable part, it's either part of the valve cover, or they rivet the durn thing in so that you'd have to be a real determined dumbass in order to change it.

Oil separators are just Better. (Well, until they gunk up and cause the engine to ingest its crankcase load in about 3.4 milliseconds, resulting in massive oil smoke/detonation followed by a low oil pressure light. But that is mostly a shame-on-you for people who fail to maintain their vehicle)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/15 6:39 p.m.

The Quad 4 doesn't have one, it came out in 1987.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
2/19/15 7:38 p.m.

Toyota 4AGE doesn't have one... 1984

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/19/15 9:06 p.m.

Fiat SOHC doesn't have one, just a separator mounted low, feeding into the air cleaner, 1969.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/19/15 10:42 p.m.

1985 22re does... And leaks.... Whoops. (Hides shame with a hokey dance)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/15 12:43 a.m.

Hell, I thought all 22Rs came like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dgJ6fUOEdzQcQxuubhjWCaT4DGfw2bwRyh4aBG8VLNedHG7PpVY7xC7dF9CSBakU