1 2
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/19 12:51 p.m.
STM317 said:

It looks like an ignition switch could be less than a couple hundred bucks. If he's certain that it's the switch, then why is he willing to take a $500 hit off of his asking price instead of fixing it for $200 and actually getting his full asking price or more?

Probably because hes not certain that it is it

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/7/19 12:58 p.m.

I wouldn’t trust anyone’s mechanical opinion that replaced a starter on a car that cranks but doesn’t start.

Antihero
3/7/19 1:00 p.m.
Saron81 said:

I wouldn’t trust anyone’s mechanical opinion that replaced a starter on a car that cranks but doesn’t start.

This.

Contacted a guy about a saturn, said hes fixed up everything but the radiator and thats why it wont start. Im not touching that with a 10 foot pole

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/7/19 1:09 p.m.

How much is he offering to pay you to make it go away?

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/7/19 1:10 p.m.
STM317 said:

It looks like an ignition switch could be less than a couple hundred bucks. If he's certain that it's the switch, then why is he willing to take a $500 hit off of his asking price instead of fixing it for $200 and actually getting his full asking price or more? Seems like there's at least $300 worth of uncertainty about whether it's the ignition switch or not.

Right?!?!?!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/19 1:30 p.m.

He hasn’t replaced the “ignition switch” because it’s contains the immobilizer and needs a GM Tech II to code most likely. It’s not just the cost of the part, it’s the marrying the part to the car that he’s likely incapable of.

I would bet it cranks and doesn’t start because of an immobilizer problem.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/7/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

There’d be a message in the display center if it wasn’t reading the keys (assuming enough pixels work to read it lol... another common 9-3 problem!)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/7/19 1:56 p.m.
dankspeed said:
STM317 said:

It looks like an ignition switch could be less than a couple hundred bucks. If he's certain that it's the switch, then why is he willing to take a $500 hit off of his asking price instead of fixing it for $200 and actually getting his full asking price or more? Seems like there's at least $300 worth of uncertainty about whether it's the ignition switch or not.

Right?!?!?!

Just like the old, "Oh the AC just needs a charge and it will work fine!"

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/19 1:57 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

So he fired the parts cannon and it missed.

Antihero said:

A nice looking car with parts cannon shrapnel all over it is still a $500 or less car unless we are talking something super rare and sought after.

I've been around the block a few times but this is the first time I've heard of the "parts cannon" and "parts cannon shrapnel". Priceless. The things we learn here...

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/7/19 2:46 p.m.

A quick search on saab central showed a few older post that stated that for the ISM does not need to be programed that it can simply be changed out. It's the SCL and CIM that need to be programed when replaced.

Can anyone confirm?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
3/7/19 7:20 p.m.

Go see the car. Turn the ignition switch to run and listen carefully. You should hear a whine from behind the rear seat as the fuel pump runs for a second or so. You won’t hear it though, because the fuel pump is dead. Buy the car (for less than he is asking).  The pump isn’t hard to replace DIY.  

Antihero
3/7/19 8:16 p.m.
rdcyclist said:
BoxheadTim said:

So he fired the parts cannon and it missed.

Antihero said:

A nice looking car with parts cannon shrapnel all over it is still a $500 or less car unless we are talking something super rare and sought after.

I've been around the block a few times but this is the first time I've heard of the "parts cannon" and "parts cannon shrapnel". Priceless. The things we learn here...

Parts cannon has been used before, the shrapnel bit may be all me but it sounded funny in my head

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UhUnrfosnem2ws2nhJtwtFscmHVCtF6FO3xeAgSMUTVVx34IeNsvq3JDVRApYmaU