1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/24/09 6:58 a.m.

^ REally? After driving ONLY those for years I have no clue what you're talking about. Good pads and keeping therears adjusted and they're great. Not as good as the GMT800's no, but a damn good truck still.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/24/09 8:18 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I used to run Dodge Diesels. Not sure if its the same in smaller models, but the axles were from Dana and were the same as used in GM and Ford products. I wonder what else is the same?

Mmm... not quite... early GM and Dodge: maybe... both used mainly Dana 44 and 60 front axles and the pumpkin is on the passenger side. Ford used the same models, but the diff is on the driver's side. Likewise with transfer cases... mostly 205's and 208's as well as few others...

When GM went with IFS in the late 80's, their stuff is pretty much proprietary, despite being made by suppliers to all three majors. Some of the diff internals may interchange, but I wouldn't count on it. Ford is similar, although they went IFS in 80, except on 1 ton models. Dodge was pretty similar for over two decades: D44 & 60 from 72 to 74 (with manual hubs); similar from 75 to the early 80's (f/t 4WD, no hub mechanism at all and annoying to convert); then back to the older style up until the Ram came out in 94. Rams use Dan axles as well, but are different than GM or Ford axles. Ram owners have used older Ford F350 front axles to get rid of the axle-disconnect system, but it's not a bolt-in application (coil spring vs. leaf springs respectively). From what I've seen, the conversion kits use some of the F350 bits as well. Mainly the hub assemblies.

Starting in (iirc) '99, Ford went to a metric 8x160mm bolt pattern, vs. the SAE pattern still in use by GM and Dodge since... forever... However, Dodge Ram 8 lug wheels have a uncommon (almost FWD-like) off-set compared to GM and Ford wheels... so while older wheels will bolt onto a Dodge, they look a bit stupid with the tires sticking out past the fenders. I learned this one the hard way...

Half-ton trucks have a similar history, although I pay less attention to them (my truck is always a utility/second-use/back-up vehicle, so anything less than a 3/4t is pointless to me).

Keep in mind, Dana made axles for just about everybody... the axle in my Volvo 1800ES is a Dana 30, although with Volvo-specific axle shalfts and disc bakes.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/24/09 8:30 a.m.

Well... I'm narrowing down to either a Ford or the Chevy

Seeing some nice examples in the 99 era with 100K for around $4500

If one will stick around long enough for me to look at

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/24/09 8:52 a.m.

99 gmt800'S Are really a big step up. Good trucks.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/24/09 9:58 a.m.

Is the Ford TTB setup really considered an IFS?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/09 9:11 p.m.

I recently did all of this research myself in the $4-5k range. I ended up with a 98 F150 4x4 with a 4.6L. Its the XL model with rubber floors and not much else. I LOVE it. The 4.6L is wimpy, but here are some things I'll offer:

Mine had 120k and I bought it for $4500. Engine - great, but wimpy. The 4.6 has an incredible potential for mechanical longevity. Great workhorse if you don't mind putting your foot in it. Transmission - 4R70 is adequate with great ratios. As with any Ford you have the potential for a chattering TC lockup, but you'd be surprised how long you can get by with a trans additive.

Some of the reasons that made me pick the Ford: Manual 4x4 engagement - no vacuum or electric servos to fail. You grab a stick, move it, and you're in. Period. Turning radius - compare the turning radius of the F150 to the same Dodge. Its a crazy difference. For a daily driver, the dodge would be such a pain in parking lots. Bed height - dodge has gone to great lengths to make their trucks look "mean" which seems to equate to "lifted." After about fifteen 80-lb bags of concrete you'll appreciate the Ford. A/C is a big deal in TX. Hands down, all of the Ford trucks I've had win this category by a landslide. I can fog up the outside of the BACK window on a 115 degree day. Ride quality - the Chevy used to be king in this category, but since the start of IFS 4x4, Ford has pulled ahead a bit IMO.

Things I would change about the Ford: Ergonomics aren't great. The crank for the windows on the 97-98 trucks is low and practically beside the seat. 99-03 models moved it up a bit. Detonation - in an attempt to maximize oomph from the 4.6 Ford kept compression and timing on the threshold of detonation. It doesn't seem to affect long term reliability, but I don't like the sound of the occasional ping. Rear brakes - the drum brakes are annoying. Avoid them. They start out fine, but get VERY grabby as they get dusty. It almost feels like the master cylinder is going bad; the pedal starts applying the fronts, then all of a sudden grabs the rear really hard. The solution is to keep them religiously clean. Take the drums off and blast them with brake cleaner, but it only lasts a short time before they get grabby again.

I've had several of each truck. Chevy is having trouble with little annoying electrical things; CDs randomly ejecting, displays failing, O2 sensor wiring grounding on the chassis. They have excellent ergonomics, so-so A/C, and very reliable, powerful engines. Dodge has good engines, so-so trannys, and horrible ergonomics with plasticy, squeaky, rattly interiors. I like the comfort of the seats, but I feel like I'm in a toy store in a Dodge.

I agree that you can get any of the three in your price range and be fine, but IMO you'll get more for your money with an F150. Get an XL, manually shift 4x4, hose it out when it gets muddy, and enjoy the confidence of a consitently reliable truck.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/09 9:11 p.m.

I recently did all of this research myself in the $4-5k range. I ended up with a 98 F150 4x4 with a 4.6L. Its the XL model with rubber floors and not much else. I LOVE it. The 4.6L is wimpy, but here are some things I'll offer:

Mine had 120k and I bought it for $4500. Engine - great, but wimpy. The 4.6 has an incredible potential for mechanical longevity. Great workhorse if you don't mind putting your foot in it. Transmission - 4R70 is adequate with great ratios. As with any Ford you have the potential for a chattering TC lockup, but you'd be surprised how long you can get by with a trans additive.

Some of the reasons that made me pick the Ford: Manual 4x4 engagement - no vacuum or electric servos to fail. You grab a stick, move it, and you're in. Period. Turning radius - compare the turning radius of the F150 to the same Dodge. Its a crazy difference. For a daily driver, the dodge would be such a pain in parking lots. Bed height - dodge has gone to great lengths to make their trucks look "mean" which seems to equate to "lifted." After about fifteen 80-lb bags of concrete you'll appreciate the Ford. A/C is a big deal in TX. Hands down, all of the Ford trucks I've had win this category by a landslide. I can fog up the outside of the BACK window on a 115 degree day. Ride quality - the Chevy used to be king in this category, but since the start of IFS 4x4, Ford has pulled ahead a bit IMO.

Things I would change about the Ford: Ergonomics aren't great. The crank for the windows on the 97-98 trucks is low and practically beside the seat. 99-03 models moved it up a bit. Detonation - in an attempt to maximize oomph from the 4.6 Ford kept compression and timing on the threshold of detonation. It doesn't seem to affect long term reliability, but I don't like the sound of the occasional ping. Rear brakes - the drum brakes are annoying. Avoid them. They start out fine, but get VERY grabby as they get dusty. It almost feels like the master cylinder is going bad; the pedal starts applying the fronts, then all of a sudden grabs the rear really hard. The solution is to keep them religiously clean. Take the drums off and blast them with brake cleaner, but it only lasts a short time before they get grabby again.

I've had several of each truck. Chevy is having trouble with little annoying electrical things; CDs randomly ejecting, displays failing, O2 sensor wiring grounding on the chassis. They have excellent ergonomics, so-so A/C, and very reliable, powerful engines. Dodge has good engines, so-so trannys, and horrible ergonomics with plasticy, squeaky, rattly interiors. I like the comfort of the seats, but I feel like I'm in a toy store in a Dodge.

I agree that you can get any of the three in your price range and be fine, but IMO you'll get more for your money with an F150. Get an XL, manually shift 4x4, hose it out when it gets muddy, and enjoy the confidence of a consitently reliable truck.

66healey
66healey New Reader
11/24/09 11:57 p.m.

I have a 98 K2500 GMC and I will never buy another one. At 115k I've had to replace the intake manifold gaskets twice already. The dexcool coolant used in late 90s chevys attacks the gaskets and causes them to fail. In the rust belt they are known to have ABS problems, and mine has gone through about four alternators in ten years.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/25/09 2:03 a.m.

Suggestion: you could try a government surplus auction. Extended cabs can be hard to come by, but it's worth a look. 4x4 isn't quite as common either, but not that hard to find.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
11/25/09 9:19 a.m.

I've got a 2003 2500 Dodge Diesel. Things to watch out for:

Quirky electricals. I've had some burned up wiring replaced, although this may have something to do with a brake controller I installed that turned out to be defective.

A/C blend control doors and other A/C problems (fin sensor placement screws things up, see forums). The A/C goes wierd after about 45 minutes to an hour drive on the highway. Not something that will show up in a quick test drive.

Transmissions up to the first half of 2003 were relatively fragile. There is a different transmission installed after that. I've got 113k on mine with no problem so far, but my towing has been relatively light. If you get one that has been used to tow some heavy stuff then you might have a problem.

The good:

Hydroformed chassis before anyone else had them. It makes a big diffierence in the ride quality and lack of flex in the chassis. NO SQUEAKS OR RATTLES from new or now. The GM pickups I've ridden in all sound like they are falling apart as they run down the road. I haven't ridden in many older Ford pickups, but I was amazed to watch the whole dash crash and shake on my friend's Exhibition. The comment on the 300 bending frames has more to do with a cheesy frame than a torquey motor. What would a diesel do to that same frame????!!!

The interior is also very durable, although cracks are showing up in the dash top after sitting outside in the Houston heat for 6 years.

The diesel has been dead reliable, although I know that's not what you are looking for and probably something you won't get it in that price range, at least not one in the '03+ design.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/25/09 9:25 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: The comment on the 300 bending frames has more to do with a cheesy frame than a torquey motor. What would a diesel do to that same frame????!!!

That was an example of how idiocy spreads like wildfire on the internet. The comment on that site made me laugh; my girlfriend wanted to know what was so funny. Thought I would share in the hilarity with other GRMers

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UPghvInuWw69mxIurvCPWPgKPGPG3aThtVQmhhNb0Bhl5nkNo5IoHXsnSkVz7QdI