1 2
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/6/13 12:23 p.m.

Had the Wartburg out of the garage for the first time in a loooong time. Fixed the steering and figured hell, might as well see just how close the CCWs are to fitting.

Fronts fit fine. The rears....um, they're gonna need some work.....

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/6/13 1:20 p.m.

Love those wheels

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
4/6/13 1:21 p.m.

Just put some air shocks on there like they did in the '70s. You'll be good to go.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/6/13 2:46 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

It looks like there was some unnecessary patchwork installed that just needs to be chopped back out :)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/13 2:59 p.m.

Box dem flares!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/6/13 3:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Box dem flares!

ew...no, the body lines on this car would look terrible with box flares. If I flare it I will basically widen the whole rear fender which is a pain since that body line extends into the door.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/6/13 3:34 p.m.

narrow the rear and tub it. Then you can get by with a mild flare or a small alteration in the size of the opening in the fender.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/6/13 3:47 p.m.

I think there might be an engine in the way of narrowing things.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/6/13 3:58 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I think there might be an engine in the way of narrowing things.

This, engine, transaxle, torsion beam rear suspension, not as simple as the normal narrow and tub.

I may look into getting some narrower barrels for these centers and then a mild flare to go with it....or I may just sell the car, remember I just pulled it out to fix the steering and get it running for a potential buyer! I have to keep reminding myself that.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/13 7:26 p.m.

Hehe sounds like the fire is starting to burn a bit again. Just saying.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/6/13 7:47 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Hehe sounds like the fire is starting to burn a bit again. Just saying.

Yeah, but the level of pain I felt after what was really a low level of effort today I'm reminded why I'm doing this.

But at least I got to drive her again today, if only back into the garage

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/6/13 8:31 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

i'm just disgusted that i am not in a position to buy it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/6/13 9:34 p.m.

I know I wasn't the only one thinking it.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/7/13 2:31 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I know I wasn't the only one thinking it.

you were... but now you aren't..

which brings up the very important question of whether or not you want to do just the minimum amount of flaring to make it work, or put a little extra effort into adding a little extra flare..

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/13 3:01 a.m.

If you're selling....

What's the specs on the wheels? PM me we should talk

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/13 6:05 a.m.

How about some 911 Turbo flares? They wouldn't look out of place on a Wartburg...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/7/13 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

You of all people,ought to know by now that nothing looks out of place on a Wartburg.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
4/7/13 7:53 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Had the Wartburg out of the garage for the first time in a loooong time. Fixed the steering and figured hell, might as well see just how close the CCWs are to fitting. Fronts fit fine. The rears....um, they're gonna need some work.....

The subject of this post was one of the few threads that was both Epic and Legendary in its results.

Do I detect a bit of burn out? I have been awaiting either the return of the wartburg or something that would raise the epic bar even further

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/13 8:24 a.m.

Just add negative camber until you get a nice tuck, (generic lamer term for "compatriot")

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/7/13 10:26 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: The subject of this post was one of the few threads that was both Epic and Legendary in its results. Do I detect a bit of burn out? I have been awaiting either the return of the wartburg or something that would raise the epic bar even further

You may have missed the For Sale post then.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/buy-my-insanity-yugo-and-wartburg-content/62279/page1/

A bit of burnout, a bit of too much on my plate. The return of Wartburg, if it were to happen is about a 2 year project that I just can't seem to get started on for a variety of reasons. But getting it running again for the first time since the 2010 challenge is a start I guess. I've also been collecting parts and have most of the bits I want for the next phase now, its just a great deal of work to get from a pile of parts to finished vision.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/7/13 10:29 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: If you're selling.... What's the specs on the wheels? PM me we should talk

Haven't really decided on selling the CCWs yet. If I sell the car without them then they will be put up for sale, if I keep them I may just buy some 2" front shells from CCW and go with a slightly more reasonable tire. It would still need flared but it wouldn't look as much like charachature.

As for the specs they are CCW classics, 16x10 front 16x11 (possibly 12) rears.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/13 2:07 p.m.

Am I the only one that was wondering if you got the offset backwards on those? I mean if you removed and reversed the centers in the wheels they look like they would fit.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/7/13 3:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Am I the only one that was wondering if you got the offset backwards on those? I mean if you removed and reversed the centers in the wheels they look like they would fit.

Optical illusion, theres as much wheel behind that center as there is in front of it. Reversing the center isn't going to make them fit.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/7/13 4:40 p.m.

Those CCW's are not 5x114 are they? Cause.... CCW classics, new hoops... I sense danger for an ms3 in my garage....

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/7/13 5:44 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Those CCW's are not 5x114 are they? Cause.... CCW classics, new hoops... I sense danger for an ms3 in my garage....

Ah, sorry, no, Porsche fitment 5x130 I believe.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
arFhzpXJ3v6z1SyYaIm7QazZ3WsfzW4nFvYGZjPrc50FPfy4DNFfREkzYKFC1aOJ