sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/30/20 2:00 p.m.

So, I'm on Bringatrailer a couple of days ago, and I see a red 1990 miata with 20k miles on offer, and it brought to mind a guy I worked with in the 90's who had bought a red miata, new right when they came out.  Barely drove it (I never saw it) - only on nice days - had maybe 4-5k miles in like 96 or 97, had a spot to store it all winter, etc.  I'm looking at the BAT listing, and I see the it's in Broadview Heights OH, and then I see the username of the Seller - yep same guy, same car.

When I knew him, Lou was very into collectibles like Star wars action figures - the special, rarer ones. I remember he lamented to me once how his nephews had opened the packaging of the Star Wars toys he got them for xmas and "ruined their value".  And at the time, he was treating his Miata the same way because it was a first year and thus collectible.

Funny thing is as you can see in the ad, over time he put virtually every cosmetic accessory and doo-dad ever offered onto the car.  I guess he couldn't help himself - he couldn't leave the toy in the box!

PS - This is not meant to dog on him at all (I suspect he'll get a fair amount of that in the BAT comments since the car is no longer original). He was a good guy, and it's his car, and he can do what he wants with it, and I'm sure it is in impeccable condition.  I was just a bit startled by how far he veered from the tunnel vision collectible mindset he had back in the day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/30/20 4:45 p.m.

Every Corvette guy thinks, convinces, himself that it's rare, and thus desirable.  They aren't.  So there's legon of Vettes with no miles on them. Think of the fun they coukd have had if they were brave enough...to drive them?

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/20 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I have a BIL that is convienced his C5 is going to be worth a mint one day.

I drive my C7 every chance I get, which is mostly daily, rain included. I was stoked today to feel the traction control gently kick in when I was WOT in third. Hot dry asphalt and it starts spinning the tires at 40-60 MPH. Wheeee!!!  devil

(Pssst - don't tell the next owner!)

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/30/20 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

But it's one of two produced that year in metallic salmon pink with a chartreuse leather interior!

johndej
johndej HalfDork
5/30/20 5:32 p.m.

There are some odd choices on the Miata but most could be undone fairly quickly.

For Corvettes I love this article

The Corvettes That Don't Get Driven, Sold, or Bought

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
5/30/20 7:41 p.m.

Used to own a c5 - bought it used. Had it for 3 or 4  years. Why did I sell it? Read about some of their potential problems as they gathered more age. Or maybe I 'got it out of my system' - you know - got to own a Corvette and a Porsche at least once in one's lifetime.

Tried listing it for sale in the usual places - no interest after couple months. Took it to my local used car dealer buddy from whom I have bought several cars - sold him a few as well over time. He said no thanks - he doesn't do Corvette (or Porsche I had learned earlier). Took it to a couple local Chevy dealers - no interest from them either - wasn't buying a new anything from them. Of course it was an undesirable non- z06, non-automatic, meh color and had 40 k miles on it. So I proudly took it to the local CarMax - they would take it and for a good enough price.

Seems like C5s have a unique market place (or none given about link).

Unlike the C5, my previous Miatas' all sold easily - traded and outright. Even after I opened their boxes and threw away the plastic.

Not hating on C5s - maybe just a different world.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/31/20 8:13 p.m.

C5s are such fantastic autocross and track cars (unless someone is a 500hp minimum person) that I think few people here are going to dog them. Especially when modified. But there's not enough of us to keep the prices up and there's just too many maroon automatic convertibles out there to keep enthusiasts away.

It's always interesting to see how different the convertible market is than the roadster one. Nobody involved with performance wants a convertible Mustang yet Miata is one of the biggest names in motorsport.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hxHDAAvxHx5jsqkRHFRRr2sB4nb4aJW3q6oYcAq2wWqEPzhssJIzweMn2SAPJXGQ