mike
mike Reader
11/13/11 11:13 a.m.

The hardtop on my '94 Miata has had a crack in it at the top rear corner of the passenger side window for years now. It never leaks water in the car, so I've taken the lazy road and let it be until now. It's about six inches long, so I figure I'd better repair it before it goes any further.

Does anyone here know if the fiberglass for the hardtop was laid in with polyester or epoxy resin? I'd like to do the repairs with a compatible resin and it would be a great head start to know the original chemistry.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/11 11:21 a.m.

I had a SnugTop with a cracked rear window. It was a track car and I suspect that it was my own fault. I removed the Frankenstein bolts and replaced them with regular bolts. The rest of the top was secured with bolt-on barckets. I discovered that the rear brackets are mainly a locating device and not for securing the top. I went too tight.

I fixed mine with a GRM decal.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/13/11 11:39 a.m.

The OEM top is made out of SMC (sheet molded composite) and actually has realease agent mixed into it. I would use epoxy, but I'm not sure what they used to start with.

Here's and example of SMC http://www.idicomposites.com/en/products/sheet-molding-compounds. I imagine there are a lot of variations between manufacturers though

mike
mike Reader
11/13/11 11:47 a.m.

OK, employing a bit of Googleage, I have found a couple of links.

GRM how to identify an OEM hardtop

and

The Miata HArdtop FAQ

These are great references! I took a critical look at my hardtop and decided that it is an early OEM hardtop with no rear defroster, but with the OEM-style front latches, and alse with the little L-brackets at the bottom of the rear of the hardtop. I couldn't find the word "Snugtop" looking around the rear glass at the driver's side, either.

As such, the top is made of SMC, sheet molding compound (MG Bryan wins a gold star). Thermosetting resin over chopped fiberglass. This explains why I am seeing what looks like chopper-gun glass fibers in the damaged area, but there's a smooth surface on both the inside and the outside.

And, according to several sources (including Wikipedia), the resin is, you guessed it, polyester.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/13/11 12:00 p.m.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=6R0X1KCJXNbeQH8HT14PGTgl

Might try something like that since it's designed to stick to SMC

mike
mike Reader
11/13/11 12:14 p.m.

This seems to be popular with a lot of folks:

Evercoat SMC repair

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/14/11 6:34 a.m.

I've done a LOT of composite work for decades. Recently I finally got around to repairing a beater Miata top that had a lot of rashed-up and missing bits around the rear bottom edge, and I was mystified that the patches I'd laid up w/ fresh vinylester resin simply peeled off the freshly ground surfaces.

Thanks MG_Bryan and mike!

I just ordered a quart of the Evercoat SMC resin and can start this whole ordeal anew. Maybe I can have a hard top on before it's completely ball-numbingly cold out!

mike
mike Reader
11/14/11 8:01 a.m.

In reply to motomoron: Be sure to post up your results! Where did you buy the Evercoat?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fFoAhtM8OAmbBtXJf79rehI8JTXAWJs3ENPl49C8r2jjYb4U1Hau4JngFxHnvDk7