1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/6/11 5:22 p.m.

They also had two sizes, 23' and 26'. They had several different models and interior configurations through the 5 year run.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/6/11 6:30 p.m.

Man, I hope you get this. It will be fun to read your rebuild threads.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/11 6:44 p.m.

The deal is still pending. He wants a little more than I can pay at the moment, and a good bit more than I originally thought. Looking at prices on the internet, he's probably in line with what they are worth. I'm trying to make it happen, we'll see, and I'll keep you posted.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/6/11 7:02 p.m.

Very cool vehicles and I too would like to see one built.
A thought that keeps running through my mind is how do you move a non-running vehicle that big? Its not like you just load it on a Uhaul trailer or onto a tow dolly. AAA membership will not likely cover you on this one.

Toyman01
11/6/11 7:13 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

I have a good friend with a 22' goose neck trailer and an uncle with a 28'. Since the RV is only 9.5' tall it should be under the 13' height limit. The green one runs and should be able to nurse it the 10 miles to home, the white one, not so much it will have to be hauled. Loading will suck in a major fashion, but I'm sure I've done worse. I've probably blocked those memories.

Toyman01
11/6/11 7:14 p.m.

The other possibility is a flat tow.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/6/11 7:29 p.m.

I would love to own one of these. I have always liked them.

Considering the market, I would hope he accepts your offer. I don't think people are falling over each other to purchase a 35 y.o. RV.

Keep us up to date because I'm seriously interested.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/6/11 7:32 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The other possibility is a flat tow.

With a tractor.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
11/6/11 7:50 p.m.

Did you see the "Coca-Cola" themed one that was on Pawn Stars a while ago?

The guy turned down a $35K offer. He wanted $50K for it.

Toyman01
11/6/11 7:55 p.m.

In running condition they seem to start in the 12K range. In good condition the prices climb very fast. 20-30K isn't unheard of.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
11/6/11 9:30 p.m.

As you've found, these things have a huge community. Good luck! Always thought they were cool.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/11 7:15 a.m.

I had this Hotwheel as a kid, so you can guesss where I stand on the Palm Beach...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
11/7/11 7:27 a.m.

I very well remember when these came out. I wanted one then and want one now. Usually they are pretty cheap or pretty expensive. Not a lot of in between.

BTW, the latest versions did not come with the 455 but something smaller (408?) .

Toyman01
11/7/11 7:30 a.m.

Yeah, the later ones came with the 403.

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
11/7/11 7:50 a.m.

Got one. They are very neat, handle well but have issues. Front hubs need rebuilding every 30K. Brakes suck, rear airbags very expensive. Frames prone to rust. The body is very well built though. Probably take a rollover without crushing. The drivetrain is GM tornado from the 70s, pretty tough.
I keep looking at mine wondering about dropping the body on an aluminum 5th wheel trailer and towing it with a pickup!

Toyman01
11/10/11 3:59 p.m.

Update.

It looks like the deal just might happen. Price is going to be a little higher than I wanted, and a little lower than he was asking, a combination of cash, parts and an engine. The good is two GMC RVs for a real good price. The bad is I've got to move the basket case which is going to mean getting a 10000 pound 26' long 8' wide 9.5' tall box of dead weight up on a goose neck trailer. Not looking forward to that.

More updates as they happen.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
11/10/11 4:07 p.m.

It may be cheaper to hire a wrecker to move the dead whale carcass. Nice score!

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/10/11 4:10 p.m.

Awesome! I'm envious.

Toyman01
11/10/11 4:19 p.m.

The goose neck and truck are free not counting fuel and I need to haul the thing about 50 miles south of where it is now. That's going to be a long day.

I probably will make a few calls to some of the local wrecker services though. It might be cheap enough to make it worth while.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
11/10/11 4:21 p.m.

If you are not on a schedule you might get a backhaul type deal?

Toyman01
11/10/11 4:35 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: If you are not on a schedule you might get a backhaul type deal?

Good thought, I'll have to look into that.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/10/11 4:37 p.m.

If you self load it onto a trailer I think I might load pull it up on the trailer from the rear. The real challenge is going to be that long rear overhang. By pulling it backwards you will encounter the worst part first and see if it can happen on not right away.

Toyman01
11/10/11 7:16 p.m.

Yeah, the rear overhang is about a mile long. Unfortunately it's going to have to go on forwards as the overhang is going to hang off the trailer several feet. Loading is going to be a PITA for sure, but there is a backhoe to help on both ends. My guess it's going to be a case digging a hole to back the trailer in to get the deck close to ground level, that or finding a convenient ditch.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/10/11 7:23 p.m.

I demand near-constant updates on these new purchases for the forseeable future!!!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/10/11 9:57 p.m.

Yeah keep us updated

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PSf2xfexJCmBs0WQjqX96rfqfMukgYtJBiXuGMnOJfpZuubOplpHPn2xi1dqImRv