Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/6/18 12:04 a.m.

So here is my set up; I have a open tilt trailer that I use to tow my Datsun to the track  & also use to tow my Formula 500 to autocross.  My tow vehicle is a 1990 e250 class B camper van.

Currently the only thing  that goes on the trailer is the car.

The van has this odd set up were the toilet is all the way in the back dead center right up against the rear doors with the tub off to one side. What I've done is put a piece of 3/4 plywood over the tube. I use it to load things  on top of it. I've bolted eyelets to board so I can strap things down to it. I load on a aluminum race jack, a pair of  4 castor style wheel dolly, crate of chemicals (oils etc) and a crate of car specific tools.  When unloading all this stuff ends up chest high and with the trailer hooked up you have to so ties step over the tongue. As you can imagine this is annoying not to mention the extra 15-20 minutes of loading.

I could pull the toilet and tub out as they are rarely ever used but that sort of defeats the purpose of a camper van.

A trailer tongue box would solve the problem except the tilt deck is only 12ft and the Datsun is 12' 6" so that's out. A side storage box where the door opened out would work except the storage on the side of my house if such that the box can't stick out any farther than the trailer tires.

So I would need is a box that is 10" deep or less. I've seen storage boxes for Australian Utes that fit under the flat bed just behind the rear wheel, shipping from Oz would be prohibitive. Oh and did I mention I don't want to spend $400-$500 for a solution.

So dear hive anyone have so creative low budget solutions?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/18 1:30 a.m.

Photos of the whole setup might help.

Is the 10 inch limit for a side box (so that the Datsun can sit next to it) or for the tongue (so that it fits under the nose of the car which is presumably sticking out over the tongue)?  If the latter, then perhaps something like this?  http://www.garage-organization.com/Product/International-TB-20D.aspx

imgon
imgon Reader
1/6/18 7:00 a.m.

Seems like you pack pretty light already. Maybe weld in a couple of "racks" under the trailer for the jack and dollies to slide into and the fluids could go in the van. If the weather is nasty the dollies will probably be ok and you could put the jack in the van or the car maybe? I used to use my open trailer to get the car to the track but had a similar issue of loading and unloading every trip so solved the problem with an enclosed trailer, not a $400 option, but it is nice to just check and make sure everything is where it should be, attach to the truck and go.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
1/6/18 8:08 a.m.

Why not mount a truck box elevated over the front of the trailer, similar to tire racks I see all the time on open trailers?

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/6/18 8:42 a.m.
Don49 said:

Why not mount a truck box elevated over the front of the trailer, similar to tire racks I see all the time on open trailers?

+1...  like this (without the center support so the car could be pulled under):

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/6/18 4:41 p.m.

The 10" side clearance is due to the fact that the distance from the side of my house to the neighbors wall is such that with the trailer parked as close to the house as possible there is just enough room for access to the backyard. If the box stuck out further than I wouldn't be able to wheel the large trash can into the back. The wife's hobby is her  Mediteranian style garden (the entire backyard)  and I need to leave her access, moving the trailer to get access isn't an option. Basically my house and the neighbors wall form a bay that the trailer slots into        so an enclosed trailer isn't an option. 

I thought about the elevated style platform like the picture above but it would have to be fairly high, as the nose of the tilt deck is probably 3ft high when the deck is lowered to drive the car on. So the nose of the car is possible 5ft high before the deck is lowered.

Sadly I don't weld (or at least well enough to trust) but my thought was I could bolt hangers on the frame rails and go with the under deck storage. I'm thinking if there was a tray on rollers it would make it easy to get access to everything. Sounds like I'll be making a trip to my buddies shop to get some welding done.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
1/6/18 4:50 p.m.

If the platform tilts with the deck, it wouldn't be a problem.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/6/18 4:54 p.m.

Is there a vee in the frame going to the hitch?  There is usually a six inch deep triangle there that can be turned into storage.  The tilt deck may use some of that space, and the jack is often there, but it can be moved to the outside of the frame.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/6/18 6:06 p.m.

No other options in the van proper?  Under a sofa or side compartments that could be dedicated to storage of car paraphernalia? 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
1/6/18 9:15 p.m.

Pickup bed side "pork chop" boxes can mount over the fenders on the trailer and with 4 of them you could probably store everything on the trailer.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/8/18 11:45 p.m.

First the storage cannot tilt with the deck as that will screw up the balance, currently there's an extra 75lbs bolt to the underside of the rear so will tilt properly.

Now that I know the fender boxes are also called pork chop boxes I've been able to find a lot more options; Cabela's has a plastic one for $99 and Brait has a 10" wide one for $179.00

I've also found an aluminum 24L x 17D x 17H for $49 that I think will bolt to the right rear frame rail on the van and it's a drop down side door. I think that will work for stowing the jack and the dollies. 

Thanks for all the ideas, I was in over think mode, my whole goal was/is to not have to load anything but the car. I've got a tool box with alternator, starter, water pump, clutch disc etc that I keep in the vans existing storage bin but it's all the extra stuff that takes me another 30-40 minutes to load up. Add in the 15-20 minutes I spend loading things into boxes and it's an extra hour. So by the time I get home from work, change, load the car, the various stuff & pack my lunch and cooler etc. it ends up being anywhere 7:30-8:30 at night. Being the A.D.D poster kid that means I don't wind down until 11:00 PM and I have to get up at 5:00 AM to make the 60 mile drive to the track. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8u3cuc49nXeXNe6NPMtxQ6qZKUFoagVb0fa8RV0IBmXFRFyXpWNxvQZaRQE4sgN4