1 2 3
AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/23/11 1:35 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM

No clue how to embed video... hope it's not a repost..stolen from hooniverse.com

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/23/11 1:39 p.m.

Layout fail.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/23/11 1:43 p.m.

Damn. It looks like a piece of the rim comes shooting off the front wheel when he impacts the curb. He should have used some blue painter's tape...

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
11/23/11 1:48 p.m.

I think those are just his center caps. Maybe more though... Doesn't look like much but I'm sure it wasn't a cheap fix!

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/23/11 1:53 p.m.

My guesstimate would be 18k from experience @ a bodyshop and doing ins claims.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork

Notice his white helmeted head being tossed around in the hatch glass!

docwyte
docwyte Reader

He was going straight when the car started to rotate. How'd that happen? I also like how they didn't red flag the course and there's still another car running it in the background...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
11/23/11 1:56 p.m.

If you guys listen to the sound, he literally drove that whole course at 5/10ths until that final chicane, and then for some absurd reason he booted it and lost control. Just by the way the car randomly spins out of control with very little effort (he didn't apply that much steering) is crazy.

He clearly was a very inexperienced driver.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/11 1:59 p.m.

You know what... those are cheap replica C6 Z06 rims. Adding that knowledge to the rest of the JC Whitney catalog added to the Dragon Vette's cousin there, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of ridiculously cheap tire on that thing, like a Toyo Spectrum. Might explain it...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/23/11 2:06 p.m.

I wonder if the traction control had the car retarded the entire time and when the traction control came off the car lurched.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/23/11 2:22 p.m.

I saw someone in the comments section mention that course had a stop box. He mentioned people had been squirrely trying to get into it all weekend.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/11 2:26 p.m.

Given how he was driving on the rest of the course, it looks and sounds like he hit the gas instead of the brake for some unintended acceleration.

That truly sucks.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
11/23/11 2:26 p.m.

I'm no expert on A-X, but I know more than a little about hooning, and that a really odd crash. I read the description with the video, cold tires were mentioned, and that part I can see. It looks like that was a slalom section on the course, but for a second it looked like he wanted to make a left turn, he probably should have just counter steered right and mowed down the cones.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/11 2:45 p.m.

Agreed on the weirdness. My first thought the whole time was that the guy was on a parade lap. Super SLOW. And then the car careens wildly out of control. Quite odd.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/23/11 3:09 p.m.

Toyota throttle swap. Probably got stuck.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
11/23/11 3:18 p.m.

Man, that sucks. Every time I see something like that it makes me grateful for the awesome venues we have in Colorado. I don't think we could have anything like that happen at any of our current sites.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/23/11 3:22 p.m.

ouch

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/23/11 3:25 p.m.

runoff is not just for road courses

sachilles
sachilles Dork
11/23/11 3:43 p.m.

Angle of the video is wierd, still looks like there is a good 50ft from the course to that curb. Stuff happens sometimes. Stinks. Never want to see it happen.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/23/11 5:07 p.m.

Same guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNjrVrpphgQ&feature=related

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/23/11 5:40 p.m.

and now I want a z06

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/23/11 5:43 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: and now I want a z06

be careful, there is obviously a steep learning curve for the uninitiated

GTB_ZR1
GTB_ZR1 New Reader
11/23/11 5:48 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Given how he was driving on the rest of the course, it looks and sounds like he hit the gas instead of the brake for some unintended acceleration. That truly sucks.

Agreed. He was far from being on it the rest of the course. He probably stabbed the wrong pedal for that box.

Glad nobody got hurt or hit...

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/23/11 6:00 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: If you guys listen to the sound, he literally drove that whole course at 5/10ths until that final chicane, and then for some absurd reason he booted it and lost control. Just by the way the car randomly spins out of control with very little effort (he didn't apply that much steering) is crazy. He clearly was a very inexperienced driver.

Well in a whole community of racers im glad at least someone beat me to it. That entire video i was thinking "how do you even lose control going that slow?", right up until the point where he floored it and immediately lost control from spinning the rear tires into a gentle turn.

I wonder if the traction control had the car retarded the entire time and when the traction control came off the car lurched.

Nope. That's not how it works. The problem was that he probably had his traction control and stability control turned OFF. I've autocrossed a c5 (which has both, just as every later vette does to my knowledge) and you COULD NOT have a crash like that if you left the electronics on. This is EXACTLY the situation they put that stuff there to prevent. I drove that vette as hard as possible with it on and the only time you could really get it out of line with the nannies on was if you were turning through a full throttle upshift at higher speeds than that guy was going. And after i turned the nannies off after being used to them i spun it in the first slalom and then backed down and worked my way back up. I went faster than the owner with it both on and off. It's possible i would have wrecked it if i'd been close enough to a curb. If i had, the lesson would have been that i wasnt good enough to race with it off, and dont put turns next to curbs on an autox course.

This guy, unfortunately, probably got it in his head that the electronics are for sissies and "real drivers" dont need them, or worse, that they stop you from learning real car control (which they certainly dont at that sissy-footing pace) rather than saving your ass while you do it.. Well, a "real driver", or one who didnt have ignorant ideas about traction and stability control, would not have had that wreck. I feel like i sound mean right now.

Also, im not sure if this is still the way with auto vettes, but it used to be that if you put the shifter in 2 it would lock out 1st so an accidental downshift into tire-spin land wouldnt throw you into a wall. Thats how i drove that c5 for the first few runs.

I do think hitting the gas at that moment was a forgivable accident, but it's pretty dang hard to accidentally turn off the 'save my ass' functions on a vette.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/11 6:39 p.m.

Imagine how much more damage the car would have suffered without the bra.

Priorities....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NJrBFoAeaFLoVbmgwmx6eZL3p9eiiQPDmSwn8QTWxQwNmNeKM3DmvEv23RlqMZgL