ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/9/15 12:05 p.m.

On my 2002 SVT Focus with 196k, I accidentally cold over revved the car when I started it up. The PO had some pedal covers on the car that made the accelerator around 1" higher than the brake pedal. I couple of weeks ago I went outside to move the car and had one foot on the clutch and one on the brake. Started the car and it revved up fast and I wasn't sure what was causing it so I turned off the car. It did not hit redline (7200 rpm).

I have hardly driven this car. I've been replacing parts slowly and turning off CEL one by one. After replacing the o2 sensor, I took the car for a drive last night and noticed it was having a bit of a sputter/hesitation when I was really pushing the car. I didn't notice this before, but like I said, I've hardly driven it and I know I haven't pushed it.

Is it possible I floated a valve? I guess I should do a compression check. I really hope I didn't hurt this car.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
2/9/15 12:12 p.m.

Relax. You drove it last night. I wouldn't worry unless it was significantly below freezing and had some 20w or heavier oil in there. Many cars rev up to 2k or so on cold start even when below 0.remove the offending pedal, start it up again if you dont hear any funny noises forget about it and drive it. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/15 12:17 p.m.

Worst you might have done is put a few months' worth of wear on the rings in a matter of seconds.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
2/9/15 12:18 p.m.

In reply to ScreaminE:

Valve float happens somewhere north of the redline- by a good margin most of the time. Before that the fuel will turn off. On your car, I would expect that the fuel will turn off quite a bit before damage would happen anyway.

And the float should not care about oil or not- it's a harmonic issue.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
2/9/15 12:19 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Worst you might have done is put a few months' worth of wear on the rings in a matter of seconds.

Which may not be a bad thing on some engines.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/9/15 12:20 p.m.

Car idles fine. Sounds fine. My automotive paranoia is strong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etOTh8up6geNVScXplPFG1Jg2UY6xGZBvs52eA8QhKl9jQtQ3tSwejcJ6TXnoidU